Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA Clean Air (HOV) Stickers at/after delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JoshG

Jun 23, 2011
Hi all,

Can't find the answer to this question anywhere here on the board. Picked up my Model S today, and I had forgotten to bring the extra $8 check made out to DMV so Tesla could send in the Clean Air sticker form for me. My DS said "no problem" and gave me the form to take home and send in.

BUT the form requires a plate number, and I don't have a license plate yet. The normal process should be that I wait for the plates to arrive, then fill out the Clean Air form and send it back with the check, then wait for the stickers to arrive.

But if that's the case, how was Tesla going to handle this today for me if I had remembered to bring my check? They wouldn't have the plate number either. Do they get special dispensation to send in the forms with just the VIN # but without the plate number? I'm pretty sure the DMV rejects these forms if we try to do that with no plate number.

If they do get special privileges, I'll drive back to fremont with my check to get them to handle it again for me, hopefully saving several weeks of wait time?

--josh

Maybe some useful info in this thread
Read that thread. Still don't have info on how or why Tesla offered to take my DMV check for the sticker and "handle it for me" since they don't know my plate number and the plates will come right to me. If anyone else knows how this is supposed to work at these recent deliveries where they don't have a plate for you... why would they take the form, and how could they get it processed?

Maybe it's possible to go to the dmv to get your plates? If so, you could send in another application and check for the sticker and ask Tesla to void your check and destroy the application? Maybe the person at Tesla just screwed up by taking your application since the plates are coming straight to you? It might be worth asking AAA if they can help? I went to AAA to register the roadster I just bought. It didn't work. You can register a used car there and get your plates at the same time, they do the required inspection as well. Apparently it is different at least with the roadster. My guess is that it is because it is electric? I will be going to the dmv soon.

Read that thread. Still don't have info on how or why Tesla offered to take my DMV check for the sticker and "handle it for me" since they don't know my plate number and the plates will come right to me. If anyone else knows how this is supposed to work at these recent deliveries where they don't have a plate for you... why would they take the form, and how could they get it processed?
They can handle it since the plates get delivered to them (Tesla) and then they FedEx them to you. I received my plates two weeks ago and am now waiting for the HOV stickers. I'm not putting the number plates on my car as I've ordered personalized ones so I'm just going to wait for those to arrive.