Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What type of glass is the pano roof made of?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AMPd

Nov 27, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
Just wondering if the glass is made with similar materials as the windshield. I'm wondering if it shatters on impact like door windows or if its like the windshield where the glass would still be intact even when broken.

Web researchers, here's the data you need (hopefully).

Front windshield
DOT-376
M8442 AS1
30E
LAMISAFE

Front triangle windows (behind the side mirrors)
(E6) 43R-001074
DOT-376 M2H5 AS2
A006451 30E
TEMPERLITE

Driver and passenger windows
DOT-376
M2H5 AS2
30E
TEMPERLITE

Rear triangle windows (below rear hatch)
(E6) 43R-008010
DOT-376 M2H4 AS2
A006451 30E
TEMPERLITE

Roof panels (front and rear)
DOT-376
M6K3U2 AS3
30E
LAMISAFE

My photos turned out lame. Text form is likely more useful anyway.

Also, an old thread that might be of interest:
Panoramic sunroof

When I first took delivery I was concerned about heat transfer through the panoramic roof without a sunshade. I have been very impressed with it. The AGC Lamisafe glass used for the pano roof must have a high quality Low-E coating. There is not much heat transfer. It's quite impressive!

Although not especially easy to see, on my May 2015 Model S, "LAMISAFE" is imprinted on both parts of the panoramic roof glass and the liftgate. So I have answered my own question.

This means Tesla's glass prevents the glass roof explosions in other automobile brands that have recently been the subject of articles in Consumer Reports and other media. Lamisafe has also been certified by The Skin Cancer Foundation, a U.S. medical nonprofit, as filtering out 99% of UV radiation.

It would be interesting to hear whether all Tesla models in all years have laminated glass in all-glass roofs and sunroof/ panoramic roofs. I suspect laminated glass is used across the board, but would like confirmation.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: David29
To Brianman: Because I have had a few worrisome skin problems, I need to have good information about the glass in the Tesla Model S sunroof. You seem to have found it. Exactly where did you find this information? Thanks.
IIRC it was directly from the labelling on the glass itself (on vehicle - TesS).