Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: will the 60 kWh battery be enough for me?

#14,427
    You guys are such a bad influence on me :-PI've upgraded to the 85kWh battery, and decided to go with dual chargers as well. Does anyone know if adding the second charger might be possible at a later date? I really have no idea if I'll ever get to use a supercharging station, so this could be a total waste of money. I've also heard that the second charger might be delaying some car deliveries due to availability, but that might be outdated info by now.So my current config is: blue w/ tan, 85 kWh battery, 19" wheels, tech package, premium sound, pano roof. WHY ISN'T 9 MONTHS FROM NOW ALREADY?!

- - - Updated - - -

You guys are such a bad influence on me :-PI've upgraded to the 85kWh battery, and decided to go with dual chargers as well. Does anyone know if adding the second charger might be possible at a later date? I really have no idea if I'll ever get to use a supercharging station, so this could be a total waste of money. I've also heard that the second charger might be delaying some car deliveries due to availability, but that might be outdated info by now.So my current config is: blue w/ tan, 85 kWh battery, 19" wheels, tech package, premium sound, pano roof. WHY ISN'T 9 MONTHS FROM NOW ALREADY?!

Quote Originally Posted by elreydetodo View Post
    decided to go with dual chargers as well. Does anyone know if adding the second charger might be possible at a later date? I really have no idea if I'll ever get to use a supercharging station, so this could be a total waste of money.
    Twin chargers (AC, > 40A) and supercharging (DC) are not related. FYI.

Twin chargers are useful for when you are going to charge at > 40A on a Model S HPWC, Roadster HPC (with adapter that I'm unclear on the availability of), etc.
    Truly Electric Spaceship-Like Adventure ~ Signature Model Spaceship

PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent. Especially the NYT, which is clearly ethically challenged.

resistance if futile!

Region: Seattle area (US)
    P85+, metalic grey, black interior, carbon fiber accents, sound, full Xpell Ultimate wrap, Alloygators...
    Solar Powered

Don't bother with the dual chargers unless you're doing the HPWC. The J1772's around here aren't powerful enough to take advantage of it and the superchargers bypass the onboard chargers.

Model S VIN P01536 Robert.Boston's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bosgig View Post
    Don't bother with the dual chargers unless you're doing the HPWC. The J1772's around here aren't powerful enough to take advantage of it and the superchargers bypass the onboard chargers.
    +1. The West Coast has a bunch of high-amp EVSEs (the "Tesla Highway"), and Sun Country is building a trans-Canada string of high-amp EVSEs, but around here, not so much. There are a few Roadster owners who have installed HPCs in strategic locations (particularly hcsharp, near White River Jct), but they are too few and far between for me to justify $1500.

Supercharging is available without the twin chargers. The Superchargers have their own inverters that pump DC power directly into your battery.

We're fairly confident that the second charger can be retrofitted later, undoubtedly at a higher cost, but it still remains an option if more high-amp charge stations become available (or if you or your car moves to the West Coast or Canada).

Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey View Post
    resistance if futile!
    Resistance can be countered with a thicker cable...

Where's that enforcer picture again?
    Truly Electric Spaceship-Like Adventure ~ Signature Model Spaceship

PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent. Especially the NYT, which is clearly ethically challenged.

Quote Originally Posted by brianman View Post
    Resistance can be countered with a thicker cable...

Where's that enforcer picture again?
    Clearly we need superconducting SuperChargers! I'm sure one of the Borg's component races had developed them. Assimilation is the Answer!

Now that the EPA range is confirmed at 208 miles for the 60kWh pack, does that change your opinion? You could probably do the trip comfortably on a single charge if you drive a bit more conservatively compared to the EPA 5-cycle test.

Looks like you still have plenty of time for a final decision.

Thread Information