Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XM reception around Seattle

XM reception around Seattle

I get a lot of hiss/cut-out in XM in Bellevue and Redmond (haven't driven much in Seattle proper yet).

I presume it's just cloud cover or whatever, but it's bad enough that I just can't stand to listen to XM because of it.

How is XM faring for other people in the area? I'm wondering if I should have service take a look or not.
    Truly Electric Spaceship-Like Adventure ~ Signature Model Spaceship

PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent. Especially the NYT, which is clearly ethically challenged.

Never had any issues with Sirius here in our Audi or BMW, except the inevitable dropout when going under an overpass and driving up in the mountains under heavy tree cover. Normal day to day driving it has always been rock solid, even in heavy rain.

I hope Tesla didn't compromise reception in hiding the antenna.

Maybe a difference between Sirius and XM, which while merged still operate on different satellites I think.
    Model S VIN 03278 1/17/13. P85, Black, Black leather, 21" greys, carbon trim, sound, tech, pano, jump seats.
    Model X Sig #1242 and regular #3801

Good to know, EA. Thanks for sharing.

Anybody else have data to contribute (Model S or otherwise) on XM reception in the area?

Thanks.

PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent. Especially the NYT, which is clearly ethically challenged.

According to one of my Tesla contacts, apparently Model S ships with only a 1 week trial of XM radio. Problem solved: screw XM.

Same as with EarlyAdopter, Sirius works well in my Mercedes all around Seattle. Cuts out when going under some over passes, but other than that, it's good. No experience with XM though.

BTW, if you're willing to walk, you can negotiate very low rates. I'm paying $25 per six months of service, which is pretty much what I'd be willing to pay at most.

Take it in for service. I have XM in two vehicles and never experience reception issues except as noted in other posts. It is digital, it is either ON or OFF so there should be no hissing or even very many drop outs in service as the Seattle area is covered by ground based booster sites.
    Model S, 85 kWh, Pano, Twin chargers, Tech Package, Sound Studio, Brown Exterior, Tan Leather Interior with Lacewood accents, HPWC

I have great reception of XM in Bellevue/Redmond/Seattle/Mercer Island other than in the obvious situations (under bridge, tunnel, or very rarely between tall buildings). Unless others start complaining I'd ask service to take a look - especially if you don't have spots & orientations that are reproducibly bad.
    Tesla Model X #1188
    This post is (c) the author, all rights reserved, not to be used outside the TMC forums without explicit consent.

I feel like the reception actually got worse sometime after XM merged with Sirius, but I'm not sure. The signal also cuts out for me in a lot of places, and I don't remember havingtha tproblem five years ago.

It always breaks up when I'm going northbound on 405 on the S-curve just before Coal Creek Pkwy (I don't know about southboud because I usually go a different way). That's just one example. There are other areas where I regularly have problems too, and I'm not just tlaking about in tunnels and such.

@JackA The "hissing" is an artificial sound produced by XM radios when the lose they signal. I think it helps because it's familiar, it makes it very clear that you are having a reception problem (vs a problem with the channel operator sending dead air or something) and it also makes the transition less jarring.

olanmills; interesting about the intentional "hissing" neither of my GM OEM XM radios exhibit this characteristic. Each of them simply displays "No Signal" when blocked or signal is lost. Perhaps mine are older as one is in a 2004 CTS-V the other in a 2006 Trailblazer.
    Model S, 85 kWh, Pano, Twin chargers, Tech Package, Sound Studio, Brown Exterior, Tan Leather Interior with Lacewood accents, HPWC

Interesting. Yeah, my radio is from 2008. I have my Model S now, but I haven't transferred my XM account over to it. I'll let you know if it still hisses. I'm assuming it does per brianman's post, though he wasn't explicit about the Model S being the XM radio he's talking about.

Thread Information