Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance vs non-performance 85Kw

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems to depend on what you have driven before. If it was a Roadster Sport, it will seem slow. If it was an old fashioned car (with a very few exceptions) both will seem fast. There are a number of posts in the forum where those who have received the non-performance say that it's plenty. There are no posts from people who have received their Model S that say the opposite (all of those, and there aren't that many, are from people who haven't received their car). I'm getting the non-performance.

Last edited:
Just got my Non-Perf Thursday. I drove a Perf at the the Get Amped deal last summer. I currently drive a Porsche Boxster. The Non-Perf is scary fast. It doesn't seem different from the Perf I drove. Quite frankly, my new S is everything I can handle. I also have noted on these forums that the acceleration rush you get from this rocket, stops being a novelty after a couple of weeks, and the smooth, quiet aspects of the car become dominant. But if hunting M-5's is your thing, then the Perf.

I've had a fair amount of time behind the wheel of both courtesy of the nice folks at our local Tesla stores.

Full accel on the standard-85 is indeed scary fast. Full accel on the perf at < 60 mph speeds is beyond scary (violent even) and even at above 60 is a bit unnerving.

Suspension on both cars is the same (assuming you get the air suspension) so the only difference in handling is the 19" vs 21" wheels and tires. If you put high performance summer tires on the 19", I think the difference will be pretty minor.

I really like the perf alcantara headliner (as opposed to the generic cloth headliner of the non-perf) and seat accents. But if you have kids, the all leather interior is more practical.

According to the folks at the local stores, most people around here going for the perf are doing it for the interior, not the performance :).

Myself, I've got kids and dogs so I went with the standard 85.

With the new option that you have to pay for the 21" at $3500 I'm not so sure anymore about getting a Perf.

I want all the cool options like Air Suspension that come with it. Yes, I really do like 4.4 seconds, but not sure anymore if I think the upgrade is worth it.

The perf used to be just a 3000 upgrade when taking all the options into account.

Choices, choices, choices! And we don't have the EU price yet.

MY configuration is; 85kW, blue metallic, 19", pano, tan leather, lacewood, tech, active air, sound studio.
If I add the performance package that adds $12,000 to the price. If you add 21 inch wheels to the non-perf model the difference is still $8,500.
I live in Michigan and I think would be better served by the all season wheel/tire combo.
Does the new pricing strategy remove the 21" wheels and $3,500 from the performance model? (or just the wheels and keeps the price the same?)
Judging from many helpful posts, I am getting comfortable with the non-performance version and the extra $12K in my pocket

@ Seidste1... Your $12k and $8500 price differentials are correct. I believe Widodh is confusing the wheel clarification PR that TM put out recently. Essentially with the performance package you get *any* choice of wheel you like at no extra cost... plus the other known amenities (beyond the motor) too.

Alcantara headliner is Perf only...that was confirmed in the whole explanation of the 19" vs. 21" wheels in the Perf pricing, see the TM Bulletin board thread.

Another interior detail that made a difference to me is the fact that the Non-Performance model has perforated leather seats.
The Performance model does not have perforated leather for their seats and it has contrasting piping.
I don't care for perforated leather in a car if there is no function for it. That helped my spouses argument for the Performance version.

- - - Updated - - -

Another argument that swayed me is the additional resale value, or increased ability to resell the Performance version, due to greater demand.

@ Seidste1... Your $12k and $8500 price differentials are correct. I believe Widodh is confusing the wheel clarification PR that TM put out recently. Essentially with the performance package you get *any* choice of wheel you like at no extra cost... plus the other known amenities (beyond the motor) too.
You are talking about current pricing, right? With the new pricing, it is my understanding that the 19" wheels will come standard on all models, including the Performance, with the 21" wheels and tires a $3,500 option. That amounts to a $6,000 increase for the Performance if you want the performance wheels and tires (I'm assuming that other features of the Performance, such as Active Air and leather interior, continue to be included at no extra cost).

Currently, the base price of a Performance is $35,000 more than the base price of a standard Model S. Once you load up the standard Model S with the big battery, Active Air, leather interior, and 21" wheels -- options that get it as close as possible to the Performance -- the price differential is $8,500. For someone who wants 19" wheels, the price differential will be $12,000.

I think the changes in the options packages make a lot of sense (assuming you're OK with the price increase). Many people complained about having to select leather in order to get heated seats. Many Performance purchasers preferred 19" wheels. Unbundling these options allows people to buy what they want without forcing them to buy what they don't want.

Another interior detail that made a difference to me is the fact that the Non-Performance model has perforated leather seats.
The Performance model does not have perforated leather for their seats and it has contrasting piping.
I don't care for perforated leather in a car if there is no function for it. That helped my spouses argument for the Performance version.

I think only the Signature Non-Performance had perforated leather seats. The non-perf I drove at Get Amped definitely did not have perforated seats.

I have only driven the non-perf model at the Houston Get Amped tour. I was totally amazed at the pick up and go in the non-perf version. The power was amazing.
With that said...I ordered the pert and will probably be even more amazed when I take it out for it's virgin cruise.