Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Performance vs non-performance 85Kw

Performance vs non-performance 85Kw

Can anyone who has driven both the performance and non-performance versions of the MS 85Kw please give their impressions?
    I am trying to get comfortable with my decision for the non-performance version.

sorry if this has been presented elsewhere.

Is 0-60 in 5 seconds fast enough for you or do you need 4 seconds?

4 seconds, 5 seconds, both sound fast to me. I have only driven the performance version, which as most of us know is crazy, fun FAST!.
    Does 1 second less result is just a little less fun? Does it still seem fast?

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    It seems to depend on what you have driven before. If it was a Roadster Sport, it will seem slow. If it was an old fashioned car (with a very few exceptions) both will seem fast. There are a number of posts in the forum where those who have received the non-performance say that it's plenty. There are no posts from people who have received their Model S that say the opposite (all of those, and there aren't that many, are from people who haven't received their car). I'm getting the non-performance.
    Last edited by jerry33; 2012-12-01 at 11:32 AM.
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

Model S Sig Perf, VIN 586
    I think many folks are getting the performance model for the seats and/or wheels. If those aren't important to you, the non-performance is prolly plenty.

(We have a performance model and it is really nice.)

I can't remember if it was confirmed or rumor, but isn't the alcantara headliner Perf-only (or is it Sig-only)?
    Truly Electric Spaceship-Like Adventure ~ Signature Model Spaceship

PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent. Especially the NYT, which is clearly ethically challenged.

Alcantara headliner is Perf only...that was confirmed in the whole explanation of the 19" vs. 21" wheels in the Perf pricing, see the TM Bulletin board thread.
    Model X P6028 / Model S P4996 - 85kWh, Sequoia Green, Pano Roof, 19" Wheels, Tan Leather, Obeche Gloss, Tech, Sound, Air Susp, Jump Seats, Shelf, Xpel Wrap, Twin Chargers and HPWC - Delivered and loving it!

Just got my Non-Perf Thursday. I drove a Perf at the the Get Amped deal last summer. I currently drive a Porsche Boxster. The Non-Perf is scary fast. It doesn't seem different from the Perf I drove. Quite frankly, my new S is everything I can handle. I also have noted on these forums that the acceleration rush you get from this rocket, stops being a novelty after a couple of weeks, and the smooth, quiet aspects of the car become dominant. But if hunting M-5's is your thing, then the Perf.

The instant torque is so great on both that I bet it makes the 5 second 0-60 feel faster than it is. Hey napa bill what does your headliner look like? I've only seen Perfs.
    P427 Performance White/Tan

Model S 85KW, VIN #2236
    I've had a fair amount of time behind the wheel of both courtesy of the nice folks at our local Tesla stores.

Full accel on the standard-85 is indeed scary fast. Full accel on the perf at < 60 mph speeds is beyond scary (violent even) and even at above 60 is a bit unnerving.

Suspension on both cars is the same (assuming you get the air suspension) so the only difference in handling is the 19" vs 21" wheels and tires. If you put high performance summer tires on the 19", I think the difference will be pretty minor.

I really like the perf alcantara headliner (as opposed to the generic cloth headliner of the non-perf) and seat accents. But if you have kids, the all leather interior is more practical.

According to the folks at the local stores, most people around here going for the perf are doing it for the interior, not the performance .

Myself, I've got kids and dogs so I went with the standard 85.

Thread Information