Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please Enter Access Code

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

brianman

Burrito Founder
Nov 10, 2011
Sigh. This is going to keep me up all night.

PleaseEnterAccessCode.jpg

Legit photo, no fooling this time.

Edit: Old territory apparently...
Dev Console | Forums | Tesla Motors

Last edited:
It's amazing at all the details behind the screen. I got to see them yesterday for about 30 seconds while a Tesla Ranger adjusted my headlights. I wish I had taken a picture of the heating / cooling diagram for the car it was amazing.

I wonder why we're locked out of these screens. If there's the potential to do real damage to the system from here and it turns out that there is a single code that works for all cars or a simple adaptation of VIN, this would be pretty alarming to me.

I wonder why we're locked out of these screens. If there's the potential to do real damage to the system from here and it turns out that there is a single code that works for all cars or a simple adaptation of VIN, this would be pretty alarming to me.

We're locked out to prevent us from messing up certain parameter settings. You can mess around with your PC for example, but risk crashing it. There's not much to be gained from messing around with your car settings and crashing that.

As for the codes, in the case of the Roadster I was told that each Ranger has a personal access code and that way Tesla can also track in the logs who did what to the car. Sounds sensible to do the same thing with Model S.

We're locked out to prevent us from messing up certain parameter settings. You can mess around with your PC for example, but risk crashing it. There's not much to be gained from messing around with your car settings and crashing that.

As for the codes, in the case of the Roadster I was told that each Ranger has a personal access code and that way Tesla can also track in the logs who did what to the car. Sounds sensible to do the same thing with Model S.

The problem is, if it's a static code per Ranger it's just bad security. Sooner or later someone's going to watch what their Ranger typed in and post it online. I assume Tesla could push out an update to disable that particular code, but how long will that take. If they don't want us to get in there, in which case they should implement some type of time-based password system. While this is a little concerning to me, it raises deeper concerns over Tesla's information security program in general.

The problem is, if it's a static code per Ranger it's just bad security. Sooner or later someone's going to watch what their Ranger typed in and post it online. I assume Tesla could push out an update to disable that particular code, but how long will that take. If they don't want us to get in there, in which case they should implement some type of time-based password system. While this is a little concerning to me, it raises deeper concerns over Tesla's information security program in general.

You wouldn't necessarily need to push out an update to disable a code. If they assume Internet connectivity (which they already seem to assume for everything except moving the wheels), it could authenticate in real time. Of course, this would cause a problem if a tech needs to get in and the Internet is not working (either due to a fault or due to coverage), but it would be more secure, and could be overcome via the use of a dongle instead of code authentication in those cases.

Still, it would be nice if they gave us a read-only mode. Not as many would be interested in messing with the settings compared to those who would just like to see them (and maybe download them for tracking). A read-only mode would also ensure against accidental changes.

There is the chance to mess up your car which is why Tesla doesn't want people in there.

Depends on if someone can steal the car (or do something similar) with just that code and the menu (AFAIK you need the fob anyways to access the menu). The ODB port supposedly is required to be open in the first place so in most cars, as long as you have a reader you can pull lots of information from there (even program a new key).

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...s-connector-steal-yourself-a-bmw-in-3-minutes

Still, it would be nice if they gave us a read-only mode. Not as many would be interested in messing with the settings compared to those who would just like to see them (and maybe download them for tracking). A read-only mode would also ensure against accidental changes.

That's what I'd like, certainly.

- - - Updated - - -

I would just assume that Tesla has bad information security on the cars. But whatever. There's a basic principle that the person who possesses the physical car can do whatever he likes with it, given time; there's no point in trying to secure it against anything except accidents.

I also don't think trade secrets are worth much in Tesla's case, so I'm not really worried as an investor about Tesla's information security, either; it's culture and attitude which are differentiating Tesla. Anyone, given enough money, could have built an electric car from the ground up, used a squirrel-cage motor, picked commodity battery cells, temperature-regulated them using a heat pump, placed the battery under the floor for a low center of gravity, etc., but every other company made *choices* to do it a different way, and Tesla is now years ahead on setting up mass production.

EDIT: Of course, I just thought of the worrisome scenario (stupid me, this is probably the one you were thinking of): someone figures out how to distribute bogus updates over the air, and kills some or all Tesla drivers using hacked firmware.

Yeah, this is a real worry. It would be very nice to know what the over-the-air security protocols are. Personally I'd rather not have any over-the-air connectivity for exactly this paranoid reason.

Last edited:
Exactly. As far as the broader infosec concerns, I'm most worried about a vulnerability in the OS or browser in the car that would allow malware to be uploaded. Even assuming that the key car functions like acceleration and braking are isolated, what about a malicious app that randomly opens and closes the sunroof, opens the hatchback, turns volume to max, etc.

Unless I can get more info on their security and how they manage it, browsing on the car will be kept to a minimum. Hopefully they never enable Flash.