Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why no multi-coat black?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Rodolfo Paiz

Fidelius Family Office
Nov 19, 2012
Miami, FL
Hi!

I love black, and I would assume that the multi-coat paint will look better than the "regular old paint" in any color. I would also guess that black is a frequently-chosen color.

Does anyone have any idea why black is not offered in multi-coat? Is there no benefit, contrary to my speculation? Or do we assume that it's too early in the production process and they just haven't gotten to it, like the red which was just recently added?

I thought exactly the same thing. Best response was they will add it to the feedback.
I always get black but not super impressed as I would if it had more gloss or sheen to it like the new multi coat red.
May try the red but I am torn between the two of just blending in or sticking out.

Sorry ... but what does multi coat even mean?

Multi-coat means that there is a base layer of pigment, one or more intermediate layers of metallic and/or slightly different translucent pigment, and a clear coat. Non-multi coat doesn't have the middle layer(s). It gives more depth to the paint job.