Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connectivity: What do delivered Production cars have for Wifi and 3G connectivity?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Francis Lau: With the current software build, your car will only come with a 3G connection (on an unnamed GSM carrier). The car comes with hardware for WiFi, but it isn't enabled with the current software build. Tesla has stated that the cars are ""4G-capable" for the future but it is unclear if enabling that is just a software fix or (more likely) a software and minor hardware update. Tesla is currently negotiating for wireless plans for the car and are keeping future capabilities close to the vest as to provide maximum leverage for negotiations.

When I was at the Oak Brook location last week, they also said something like "they are figuring out and will announce something in the next month." My response was to the effect of "I'd take tethering to my smart phone's data connection as an option-- no sense paying twice for connectivity."

Here's what my DS answered on this question:
As far as I know, 3G is active on all cars currently in production. Once the connectivity plans are announced, we will both have more info on the cost/time frame for signing up. We hope to have those announced at some point in December, but if waiting until January means we can get a better deal for our customers, we will wait.

OK, let's get some clarity here. There is no way I am paying for a connectivity plan. (I don't even have a cellphone; I just dont think it's worth it.)
However, Tesla likes to upload software updates over the air. So, what will Tesla's software update procedure be if I refuse to get a connectivity plan? Does Tesla simply pay for the 3G service and limit it to software updates? Or does Tesla send up the Rangers to update the software over USB once a year? (Which is fine.)

I suppose I should ask Tesla.

Wifi, I might actually use.

To further add to this, what happens when their carrier does not provide cell service in the area? The updates would have to be done manually, or the car driven to where there is service available.

OK, let's get some clarity here. There is no way I am paying for a connectivity plan. (I don't even have a cellphone; I just dont think it's worth it.)
However, Tesla likes to upload software updates over the air. So, what will Tesla's software update procedure be if I refuse to get a connectivity plan? Does Tesla simply pay for the 3G service and limit it to software updates? Or does Tesla send up the Rangers to update the software over USB once a year? (Which is fine.)

To further add to this, what happens when their carrier does not provide cell service in the area? The updates would have to be done manually, or the car driven to where there is service available.

I believe Wifi connectivity is coming, so there's always that option. I suppose if not, then it can be done during service updates or perhaps the updates come over the free 3G they use to monitor the car.

So, what will Tesla's software update procedure be if I refuse to get a connectivity plan? Does Tesla simply pay for the 3G service and limit it to software updates?
I was under the impression all Model S vehicles will have a connection for receiving updates and sending telemetry -- on Tesla's dime. The "pay for" 3G service would be for the browser, map info, streaming media, etc.

That's my understanding but I don't recall anything official being stated on the topic.

Is slacker free too?
At least for a year, yes. My Tesla DS provided an account/password enabled for full use that was specific to me. And as mentioned in many other threads, the Slacker implementation is simply fantastic. Initially when I heard that Pandora was not going to be available, I was somewhat disappointed, but after having had Slacker for a few months, I don't even miss it. Last night I was giving a bunch of test rides, and I had the passengers play "Stump Slacker" with their favorite band. Suffice to say, it was never stumped. The only improvement I would suggest for it at the moment is I would like to see the year the song came out. Currently it just shows album art, band name, and album.

I don't think it would be that hard to figure out who the current carrier is. You have a full Internet browser!
Do tell. How does having the internet browser help? traceroute?

- - - Updated - - -

At least for a year, yes. My Tesla DS provided an account/password enabled for full use that was specific to me. And as mentioned in many other threads, the Slacker implementation is simply fantastic. Initially when I heard that Pandora was not going to be available, I was somewhat disappointed, but after having had Slacker for a few months, I don't even miss it. Last night I was giving a bunch of test rides, and I had the passengers play "Stump Slacker" with their favorite band. Suffice to say, it was never stumped. The only improvement I would suggest for it at the moment is I would like to see the year the song came out. Currently it just shows album art, band name, and album.
Well... favorite band would difficult. But I've tried some items that both Slacker and Pandora fail to get any results for, but I can't blame them for bands that never got big.
Tho I just tried one tricky band and Slacker got it while Pandora didn't. Score one for Slacker!

Last edited:

Thanks. I bought a Sony blu ray just to use slacker, but I get the annoying self promos all the time even with premium erosion with no option to turn them off in the app. Sounds like you don't get them in the tesla though. I have stumped it plenty compared to pandora, but hopefully I end up liking it better.

Once Tesla activates the WiFi receiver on the Model S, it should be easy to find a place to connect to the internet. In the alternative, you'll get upgraded to the current version at a Service Center. Every other car company requires that you bring your car to them for any upgrades, so Tesla is going above and beyond in pushing out upgrades.

- - - Updated - - -

I was under the impression all Model S vehicles will have a connection for receiving updates and sending telemetry -- on Tesla's dime. The "pay for" 3G service would be for the browser, map info, streaming media, etc.

That's my understanding but I don't recall anything official being stated on the topic.
My understanding is that there is a "thin" GSM connection on every car for apps interaction and location, which Tesla Motors pays for. I'm not sure that this GSM connection has the bandwidth to receive updates.

I did ask Tesla. Their chipset is remotely activate-able by them. Even if you chose not to activate any connectivity for the car, you will get messages on your console telling you about software updates. Tesla will push them to your car (presumably with their own proprietary monitoring protocol to get confirmation) without you paying. As for slacker and other apps, I was told that they would not function as you are not purchasing any plans.

The other information on this thread is correct, the production cars have their 3G activated and they will stay on until they finalize the pricing plans and contract agreements.