Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Connectivity: What do delivered Production cars have for Wifi and 3G connectivity?

Model S (Res#P12,447)
    I'm more concerned with navigation without opting for a data plan.

I was told I should 3G on my production car for about three months for free.

Quote Originally Posted by ken830 View Post
    I'm more concerned with navigation without opting for a data plan.
    If you get Nav (the tech package) that doesn't require a data plan since it has offline maps (with 7 years of updates)

You guys are seriously buying a $60-$100k electric car with the most amazing console panel around and going to worry about the cost of the 3G? wow.

Quote Originally Posted by mittelhauser View Post
    You guys are seriously buying a $60-$100k electric car with the most amazing console panel around and going to worry about the cost of the 3G? wow.
    With price unknown, yes.
    Truly Electric Spaceship-Like Adventure ~ Signature Model Spaceship

PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent. Especially the NYT, which is clearly ethically challenged.

Model S VIN P01536 Robert.Boston's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gregincal View Post
    If you get Nav (the tech package) that doesn't require a data plan since it has offline maps (with 7 years of updates)
    ...but, the navigation package doesn't have a POI database; you have to know the actual street address. This is a bizarre gap; even with 3G enabled, there are lots of places with poor connectivity.

Having the Internet now it will be hard to not sign up for the data plan. I thought plugging in my phone would be a nice solution, but now I'm thinking I don't want to plug and unplug when getting in and out anymore just to hear slacker or see my map. Hopefully the price can be low.
    P427 Performance White/Tan

Part of the reason some of these people can buy a Model S is that they don't pay for stuff they neither want nor need.

I'm sure many of the concerns are that they don't want to pay for a plan for the car when they can just tether instead.

I am wondering if voice commands will not work without Internet connectivity since I heard that it leverages Google's services in the cloud. Anyone knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Francis Lau View Post
    I am wondering if voice commands will not work without Internet connectivity since I heard that it leverages Google's services in the cloud. Anyone knows?
    Correct. Requires connectivity.
    P85 VIN55228. Black and tan w/ Carbon Fiber decor, spoiler, coils, Pano, Reus audio (To be installed), 20" Avant Garde M310s (Matte Black), tech, parking sensors, premium lighting.
    (Original Model S, now in hEaVen: VIN 1653, S85, Dolphin Gray)

Thread Information