Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Connectivity: What do delivered Production cars have for Wifi and 3G connectivity?

Connectivity: What do delivered Production cars have for Wifi and 3G connectivity?

I am scheduled for delivery for 12/7 thru 12/21 and I am wondering what the production cars have for wifi and 3G connectivity?

@Francis Lau: With the current software build, your car will only come with a 3G connection (on an unnamed GSM carrier). The car comes with hardware for WiFi, but it isn't enabled with the current software build. Tesla has stated that the cars are ""4G-capable" for the future but it is unclear if enabling that is just a software fix or (more likely) a software and minor hardware update. Tesla is currently negotiating for wireless plans for the car and are keeping future capabilities close to the vest as to provide maximum leverage for negotiations.

So both signature and production cars get 3G for free until it is sorted out? Or is there a monthly fee?
    Last edited by Francis Lau; 2012-11-30 at 04:25 PM. Reason: clarification

Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar
    It appears it is free until they figure out how they are going to bill for it.
    Moderator - Model S, Mountain/Southwest, Texas, Northwest, Off Topic forums
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

Model S5,651, Model X109
    Quote Originally Posted by dsm363 View Post
    It appears it is free until they figure out how they are going to bill for it.
    That would make sense. I think they're planning to announce details in December.

Is slacker free too? Does it say "you are listening to slacker" every 5 songs?
    P427 Performance White/Tan

Blog Entries
    When I was at the Oak Brook location last week, they also said something like "they are figuring out and will announce something in the next month." My response was to the effect of "I'd take tethering to my smart phone's data connection as an option-- no sense paying twice for connectivity."
    Model S #P3371 delivered 2/2/2013-- White/black top, pneumatic suspension, gray leather/lacewood, frunk-mounted confetti cannon

Model S VIN P01536 Robert.Boston's Avatar
    Here's what my DS answered on this question:
    As far as I know, 3G is active on all cars currently in production. Once the connectivity plans are announced, we will both have more info on the cost/time frame for signing up. We hope to have those announced at some point in December, but if waiting until January means we can get a better deal for our customers, we will wait.

Happy Model S Owner
    OK, let's get some clarity here. There is no way I am paying for a connectivity plan. (I don't even have a cellphone; I just dont think it's worth it.)
    However, Tesla likes to upload software updates over the air. So, what will Tesla's software update procedure be if I refuse to get a connectivity plan? Does Tesla simply pay for the 3G service and limit it to software updates? Or does Tesla send up the Rangers to update the software over USB once a year? (Which is fine.)

I suppose I should ask Tesla.

Wifi, I might actually use.
    I take "Electro", my amazing Model S, to the train station: yes, it's a station wagon

To further add to this, what happens when their carrier does not provide cell service in the area? The updates would have to be done manually, or the car driven to where there is service available.

Thread Information