Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NE destination overnight charging stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RDoc

2021 Prerefresh Model S
Aug 24, 2012
Boston North Shore
Any thoughts on how to encourage hotels, municipalities, parking lots, etc. to install charging stations for overnight use? I'm thinking about level 2 chargers, probably J1772 connectors, likely only 30A, but if you're going to spend the day or stay overnight, 6 - 10 hours at 6 kw is well worth doing. Currently a lot of charging stations seem concentrated in the big metropolitan areas, but if you're on vacation or even staying somewhere overnight, it's likely you'll be away from them.

I've written to the parking authority in Provincetown since we go there a few times per year, no reply so far. The Cape in general seems like a bit of a desert for charging.

Lennox (Tanglewood) would be another candidate town I'd think.

Any thoughts on how to encourage hotels, municipalities, parking lots, etc. to install charging stations for overnight use? ...

Kevin.Sharpe at Zero Carbon World will have some insight on the best way to do this. He has lots of experience. I would also check in with Michael Sexton at the NY Tesla store. He was instrumental in getting the first two 70A chargers we have in New England - The Omni in New Haven and Colonnade in Boston.

I wanted to resurrect this thread in view of the somewhat unsettled state of the Supercharger roll out in New England.

Does anyone know if the Massachusetts Electric Vehicle Incentive Program or the new initiative of several east coast states and California is going anywhere and if there would be some way for Tesla enthusiasts to encourage more chargers at overnight destinations through those programs? The MassEVIP seems like it's just to get municipalities to buy EV's which I'm pretty doubtful about, e.g. Cambridge looked at it and decided to not use it. I haven't heard anything else about it beyond press releases.

The multi-state program seems like it's not really gotten off the ground yet, I don't think it even has a name and I've not heard anything about what Massachusetts might do as part of it.

In any event, it seems like there's going to have to be state and local encouragement for more charging stations since the business case for someplace like an inn or B&B seems pretty shaky to me, and I suspect, to them as well.

It seems the Provincetown April 6 Town Meeting approved $35K for 4 chargers in the Main Parking Lot and a town electric vehicle in conjunction with the Mass electric vehicle charging program grants. No word on when they will be operational, but I assume they'll try to get them in place by summer.

Unfortunately that doesn't help us this Tuesday when we're going out there. We can just use the Bourne Supercharger both ways or maybe stay at the Lands End Inn, but we prefer to be in the town center.

The Port Inn Portsmouth - New Hampshire - United States

Just added two Tesla destination chargers and one J1772. Located off the Portsmouth circle first traffic light past the Chevrolet dealer on Route 1 South. The owner is a big fan and has hosted Tesla test drives in the past. As of this morning, it was not listed in the car's database, but it just went online this week.

I was their today, there are (2) Tesla HPWC's, on 50A breakers, delivering 40A each. The J-1772 is a 40A Clipper Creek (32A):

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I'm visiting family up on Grand Isle, VT. We are staying at the North Hero House on North Hero Island and they have a 110v available for EVs. I spoke to the manager in advance and they welcome people staying here to use the plug. I will encourage a higher-output option, and encourage them putting the plug on PlugShare as well.

The inn is ok. Far from fancy, and in need of an update. However, the food is good, the staff nice, and lots to do on the island.

We were just in Lenox for Tanglewood and stayed at the Hampton Terrace B&B. The owner is a big EV fan and let us use an outdoor extension cord that gave us about 3 mph charging. The inn itself is really very nice, great porches, common areas, OK breakfast, great bed, wonderful staff. The overnight charging was more than enough for local driving up to the Clark museum and Mt Graylock. After using the W Springfield Supercharger on the way out, we were easily able to drive home to the N. Shore with over 30% left.

BTW, IMHO Andris Nelsons is a conductor to watch, he's really fantastic.

Anyone have experience at the Centennial in Concord, NH?

I have a wedding up there in November and called to make a reservation, and the man on the phone was just plain horrible. For the money I'm about to spend housing four people in that hotel for two nights I was considerably put off. However, it may just be a grumpy guy on a Sunday night.

Would love feedback, if any, from the community.

Anyone have experience at the Centennial in Concord, NH?

I have a wedding up there in November and called to make a reservation, and the man on the phone was just plain horrible. For the money I'm about to spend housing four people in that hotel for two nights I was considerably put off. However, it may just be a grumpy guy on a Sunday night.

Would love feedback, if any, from the community.
My wife and I had a very pleasant stay there a couple of years ago (my son had a cross-country meet at St. Paul's on Saturday and a debate there on Sunday). Rooms were well appointed, and we enjoyed the bar and restaurant as well.

A cheaper stay would be the Courtyard by Marriott at 70 Constitution Ave, which has two J1772s (30A) that I've used on several occasions. It's exactly what you'd expect at a Courtyard.

My wife and I had a very pleasant stay there a couple of years ago (my son had a cross-country meet at St. Paul's on Saturday and a debate there on Sunday). Rooms were well appointed, and we enjoyed the bar and restaurant as well.

A cheaper stay would be the Courtyard by Marriott at 70 Constitution Ave, which has two J1772s (30A) that I've used on several occasions. It's exactly what you'd expect at a Courtyard.

Thanks for the info. I really try and stay at small-owner hotels whenever possible, so will give the Centennial a shot. I was just amazed at the rudeness of the guy on the phone.