Thread: NE destination overnight charging stations

Model X #1417

NE destination overnight charging stations

Any thoughts on how to encourage hotels, municipalities, parking lots, etc. to install charging stations for overnight use? I'm thinking about level 2 chargers, probably J1772 connectors, likely only 30A, but if you're going to spend the day or stay overnight, 6 - 10 hours at 6 kw is well worth doing. Currently a lot of charging stations seem concentrated in the big metropolitan areas, but if you're on vacation or even staying somewhere overnight, it's likely you'll be away from them.

I've written to the parking authority in Provincetown since we go there a few times per year, no reply so far. The Cape in general seems like a bit of a desert for charging.

Lennox (Tanglewood) would be another candidate town I'd think.

Model S VIN P01536 Robert.Boston's Avatar
    I've written to several inns/destinations, with limited success. The one weakly positive reply I had was from the Chatham Bars Inn out on the Cape. Perhaps if more people wrote, we can tip their thinking over the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by RDoc View Post
    Any thoughts on how to encourage hotels, municipalities, parking lots, etc. to install charging stations for overnight use? ...
    Kevin.Sharpe at Zero Carbon World will have some insight on the best way to do this. He has lots of experience. I would also check in with Michael Sexton at the NY Tesla store. He was instrumental in getting the first two 70A chargers we have in New England - The Omni in New Haven and Colonnade in Boston.

Model X #1417
    I finally got a reply from the parking people in P'town and it sounds like they are in the planning stages for a charging station there. No dates or promises, but at least it's on their radar.

Model S VIN P01536 Robert.Boston's Avatar
    I finally got a reply from the parking people in P'town and it sounds like they are in the planning stages for a charging station there. No dates or promises, but at least it's on their radar.
    That's good news. Would letters supporting installation be helpful, do you think?

Model X #1417
    I don't know, but the person who emailed me Domenic Rosati seemed very reasonable.

drosati@provincetown-ma.gov

Model X #1417
    I wanted to resurrect this thread in view of the somewhat unsettled state of the Supercharger roll out in New England.

Does anyone know if the Massachusetts Electric Vehicle Incentive Program or the new initiative of several east coast states and California is going anywhere and if there would be some way for Tesla enthusiasts to encourage more chargers at overnight destinations through those programs? The MassEVIP seems like it's just to get municipalities to buy EV's which I'm pretty doubtful about, e.g. Cambridge looked at it and decided to not use it. I haven't heard anything else about it beyond press releases.

The multi-state program seems like it's not really gotten off the ground yet, I don't think it even has a name and I've not heard anything about what Massachusetts might do as part of it.

In any event, it seems like there's going to have to be state and local encouragement for more charging stations since the business case for someplace like an inn or B&B seems pretty shaky to me, and I suspect, to them as well.

RDoc, please let me know who you talked with. I've spoken to two selectmen, with no success.
    Tesla Model S - 85 | Red | Pano | 19" Wheels | Tech | Sound | Air Suspension | Parcel Shelf | Twin Chargers | | VIN# P16691 |delivery 7/29/13

Same here!!! The more people that call the better!

Aaron
    Tesla Model S "Serenity" - P#9,094 - VIN #: 3449 (2013)
    85kWh | Blue Metalic Paint | Tech Package | Tan Leather | Obeche Matte | Panoramic Roof | 19" Wheels | Air Suspension

Thread Information