Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: 60KWH roll-in - B5 theory: they won't do it til after Jan1

Model S: VIN P 3552 gg_got_a_tesla's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kipernicus View Post
    I keep reminding myself that the 1 month (hopefully) delay is a small price for all the value we are getting with the 60
    1. better efficiency (95 vs 89 mpge)
    2. 208 mile range (only 21.5% less than 265, but 60 is 29% less than 85)
    3. still get supercharger access (free for those of us lucky enough to get grandfathered into the "early adopter" program)
    4. Over 300hp (only 17% less than 362)
    5. Sub-6 second 0-60

In a couple of months it won't really matter that P10000+ got their car before P1440!
    Yes, Kip! These are the mantras that I'm swearing by as well.

Those rich suckers fell for the 300-mile-range carrot and forked out atleast $8k-$10k more to subsidize Tesla's business/existence for the rest of us
    Awaiting 85 kWh, Dual Motor AWD, Green, Pano Roof, Textile Seats, Piano Black trim, Tech Package with Autopilot, Dual Chargers, Subzero Package, Active Safety, Smart Air Suspension, 19" Wheels, ETA January 2015

VIN P 3552 - 60 kWh with Supercharging, Green, Black Roof, Black Leather, Piano Black trim, Tech Package, Active Air Suspension, 19" Wheels, 28,343 miles, Delivered January 2013, RIP August, 2014

I'll have to eat my words posted above

I was in the process of requesting an updated pre-MVPA (to reflect an additional downpayment that I made as well as the 2013 model year for my car) and as part of that, just had a chat with a Tesla ownership experience rep about the 60 kWh production timeframe; the rep checked with his manager as well on what follows.

So, as some have suspected, January is indeed going to be the early early phase of the rampup for the 60 kWh pack production with the 85 kWh production still going almost full bore. It appears that I may not see my 60 kWh-equipped car till late February and there's apparently a reasonable chance that it may end up being March This is despite my relatively low sequence number among 60 kWh finalized orders.

The mandatory disclaimer to all this is that the Tesla reps do not have enough visibility yet into how all this (60 kWh rampup, 85/60 ratio) is going to shake out in January and February but, as of now, they've set my expectations as late February and even March.

I cannot take this anymore and cannot subject my wife to a prolonged bad commute situation given that we have to carpool in our one car. I've come too far and have seen too much water under the bridge to do anything other than switch to the 85 kWh pack now. Wish I could have seen this coming sooner; I could have had my car by now

With a switch to 85, the rep indicated that a mid-January delivery window at the latest is on the cards in all likelihood and that my config has no red flags otherwise.

Kip, Ceilidh and others, sorry for abandoning your ranks but, I can't take this anymore. Screw it!
    Awaiting 85 kWh, Dual Motor AWD, Green, Pano Roof, Textile Seats, Piano Black trim, Tech Package with Autopilot, Dual Chargers, Subzero Package, Active Safety, Smart Air Suspension, 19" Wheels, ETA January 2015

VIN P 3552 - 60 kWh with Supercharging, Green, Black Roof, Black Leather, Piano Black trim, Tech Package, Active Air Suspension, 19" Wheels, 28,343 miles, Delivered January 2013, RIP August, 2014

So CAN we switch? I was under the impression that it wasn't possible to make the change anymore?
    P3,339: 60 kWh, blue/gray/lacewood, 19 inch wheels, tech package, sound package, air suspension
    Delivered: February 8, 2013

Sig X#1100 and X#1618 Discoducky's Avatar
    Bummer, I'd go with you but I can't afford the 85kWh. If I could I'd have done it long ago. I'm really bummed that 60kWh is so delayed. With your new information we might switch to Sunset Red if TM will allow.

Same here, ducky. i'm ticked that i'm not getting the same feedback that GG got, and i'm forced to rethink everything.
    David
    [/B][/URL] Sweet Silver Sixty: 60KWH, Silver ext/Black int, Pano, Tech, 21" Silver wheels

Sig X#1100 and X#1618 Discoducky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    So CAN we switch? I was under the impression that it wasn't possible to make the change anymore?
    Email your TM contact.

OK I just got off the phone with Tesla. The story I was told was a little different than what GG was told. Mike said that production for 60's was slated to phase in during early January and that he had not heard that it would be a slow phase in. He fully expected by car 3339 to be ready by the 1rst or 2nd week of February (of course no promises).

He did say that there was no way I could change my config now, several months after I finalized and "less than a month before we start production on your car".

I hope Mike was right. I lose access to my current car on Jan 11 and will be scrambling for transport after that.
    P3,339: 60 kWh, blue/gray/lacewood, 19 inch wheels, tech package, sound package, air suspension
    Delivered: February 8, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Discoducky View Post
    Bummer, I'd go with you but I can't afford the 85kWh. If I could I'd have done it long ago. I'm really bummed that 60kWh is so delayed. With your new information we might switch to Sunset Red if TM will allow.
    Although I'll point out that delivery estimates for Sunset Red are running April/May, which is still quite different from Feb/Mar.

Fielded another call from Tesla a little while ago. Asked the rep for a firm commitment that, if I do switch to 85 (and he didn't suggest anything to the effect that I cannot), I'd get it in early January (with pickup at the factory). He suggested that, given my low sequence number, priority could possibly be given for early Jan assembly, but, he had to check with higher-ups.

Now, got the followup call: there are no guarantees according to him even if they could prioritize it and push it through given that there may be supply chain impact/considerations (?). He assured me that I'm destined to be one of the first few 60s to be built and that, there may not be more than 3 weeks separating a 85 delivery (if I were to switch) to the 60.

Oh well. I don't see much of a point in switching now and will have to rent a second car or something for some unknown period.

I'm telling myself to never, never, never put myself and family in such a situation again - this has been one long, agonizing experience All for a bloody car!

Sorry for all the agony, GG!

Looking back it may have been better to lease a volt or leaf or even buy a functional used car to manage the commutes. But back in Oct 11 there was so much positive energy seeing the robots and factory in place we really didn't anticipate a possible Feb/Mar 13 delivery, considering our low #s. Well, Tesla will only go through this startup phase once, so no worries about going through it again!
    Model S 60kWh, Catalina white, white roof, tan, obeche gloss, tech, 19", air suspension, twin chargers, supercharger access, rear jump seats, parcel shelf. VIN 3606

Thread Information