Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delivery if I order MS # 2 ??

Delivery if I order MS # 2 ??

Ok, I have a bone to pick with George.......

I'm right in the middle of negotiating trading in my wife's and my car on a new 750. I've got to get rid of mine to make room for the incoming MS so why not trade both in (they are both BMWs) and upgrade my wife as well.

NOW George has gone and single handedly (with the help of others I'm sure) answered a bunch of questions about extended warranty and batteries thereby removing great uncertainty from the product and almost guaranteeing a quality secondary market. I'm loosing my butt on my Zero after one year and, with these latest moves by Tesla, that just is not going to happen with the MS. (BTW, anyone want a 2012 9DS????) Sure there are questions like "can the second or third owner purchase the extended warranty, service and battery replacement options?" and "are the items transferable to future owners?". If Tesla stays on the same path, I suspect we will like the answers to those questions as well.

The problem I have now is that I have to dump two BMWs to make room for two MS. There are those on the forum that are far more informed about deliveries, production rates and the like than I am. Can you please chime in and give me a best guess on where I might land if I sign up for MS #2 in the next week or so?

Thanks!

Given the gold rush that is about to happen to avoid the price hike, God only knows. Get your money in.

P85 #6649 "Magic Carpet"
    Not sure what a Zero or a 9DS are, but then it's probably clear to most.

I'd guess that if you reserve another Model S right now, you're probably looking at a September 2013 delivery. Real general guess there, but reservations are just at or just under 15,000 right now, which is theoretically nine months of production. Add a bit of a fudge factor because (a) they've already delivered 1,000 vehicles or so, and (b) they're still ramping up and not going full-bore. Your delivery might become sooner (like June) if Tesla brings in a second shift in the factory.

Of course I may be wildly off, but you know that... right?

And I agree with Citizen: if you're even thinking about this, then reserve another car NOW and maybe cancel if you choose to do so later. But I'd expect a very big influx of reservations in the next 30 days, so you'll want to consider that in your decision tree.

I'm seriously considering a 2nd Model S reservation on Dec 31st. I'm not even sure what I'd do with it, but I'd probably have a few months before I'd have to decide. I might try to sell it at a profit, sell it to a friend that didn't get in ahead of time, replace the wife's car, who knows. If I kept it, I'd get the bottom end car as the "around town" and my 85kwh is the road trip car.

P85 #6649 "Magic Carpet"
    Quote Originally Posted by ckessel View Post
    If I kept it, I'd get the bottom end car as the "around town" and my 85kwh is the road trip car.
    Unlike gasoline engines where a smaller engine or car can save you money through better mileage, I see no benefit to using a basic Model S for "around town". You'll get better performance from your 85, no matter what, and letting any battery sit idle is not healthy for it. Not sure how you see it, but it appears to me that having two Model S cars for one person has only downsides, no upsides.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo Paiz View Post
    Unlike gasoline engines where a smaller engine or car can save you money through better mileage, I see no benefit to using a basic Model S for "around town". You'll get better performance from your 85, no matter what, and letting any battery sit idle is not healthy for it. Not sure how you see it, but it appears to me that having two Model S cars for one person has only downsides, no upsides.
    I think you misunderstand. My wife and I would each have one, they'd both get used full time as daily drivers. I only need the 40kwh on one of then though because on long trips we'd only be taking one car. We'll never have a situation where both of us would need 85kwh at the same time.

P85 #6649 "Magic Carpet"
    That makes more sense, yes. As I noted previously, it sounded to me like you were keeping two cars for one person... which makes sense in other cases (I have a Roadster and a Honda Odyssey, for example), but wouldn't work well with two Model S cars just for you.

The sales rep told me 9 months when I placed the deposit. Interesting note in that the non-refundable period has grown from three to six months.

Oh, Zero 9DS is a 9.4KW motorcycle. Its good for about 85 mph top end and 60 miles at 60 mph.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lolachampcar View Post
    Ok, I have a bone to pick with George.......

I'm right in the middle of negotiating trading in my wife's and my car on a new 750. I've got to get rid of mine to make room for the incoming MS so why not trade both in (they are both BMWs) and upgrade my wife as well.

snip.
    This belongs in a marriage counseling forum, ...

P85 #6649 "Magic Carpet"
    Missed that the first time... hilarious.

Thread Information