Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: List of Electrical Contractors That Are Friendly to EV Owners

List of Electrical Contractors That Are Friendly to EV Owners

Does anyone think it makes sense to start maintaining a list of Electrical Contractors that we've had success working with for our home charging outlet installations?

Thoughts?

I obtained three different quotes for my NEMA 14-50 install and they were all over the map. Contractors that don't see $$ signs when an EV is mentioned should be rewarded with our business.
    Tesla Model S P#9,372 - VIN #: 3452 (2013)
    85kWh | Grey Paint | Tech Package | Tan Leather | Lacewood Decor | Panoramic Roof | 19" Wheels | Air Suspension | Sound Studio
    Tesla Model X Sig#139

Excellent idea. Regarding pricing, I did my own install and I can confirm there is a large difference in price just in the parts. A NEMA 14-50 receptacle can vary in price between $10-$80; there is a difference in quality, thou may not be worth it to pay extra for some. Same goes for the junction box, circuit breakers, etc. The price difference can be as simple as one contractor using "contractor grade" and the other using "commercial grade" parts.

I have an electrical contractor, Chris Grant, in the DFW area (McKinney, Plano, Frisco). He installed mine - to my specifications - but is not, per se, an EV-only installer (he also did my 240V pool salt chlorinator, and jet tub). He is fair and friendly. If you are in the DFW area and get exorbitant quotes, PM me and I will give you his contact.

This may be slightly OT, but I took advice from the forums (DSM363, I think) and asked for a RV/welder outlet, rather than EV support. This kept the money-grab to a minimum. For my specific rewire (across the house, thru attic, etc.) I got a quote of about $500, and the Solar City/Mr. Electric crew estimated over $1500. 'Nuff said.
    www.Power12.com ----- Sweet Silver Sixty: 60KWH, Non-perf, Silver ext/Black int, Pano, Tech, 21" Silver wheels

Model S - R140
    Others Electric, Inc. in Palm Beach did my garage (in Weston - Ft. Lauderdale area) and Arnold Panz in North Miami Beach. His crew did a great job and the prices were very reasonable (much less than Solar City's referral). He is at jlmyers82@hotmail.com. (561) 654-8452 is Joe's mobile number (the owner).

I'm also having him install a Chargepoint station at my office this coming week.
    Model S - R140 - 5YJSA1DN4CFP01275 - 85kWh, Dolphin Gray, Black Leather, Piano, Tech, Audio, Suspension, 19", Pano, Twin, HPWC.

P85 #6649 "Magic Carpet"
    For the metropolitan area around Miami, Florida, Mike Isaacs of MI Electric (a father-son business) have done all the electrical work on my house for the last 2.5 years (since I moved here), including all the electrical work on the 1500-sqft construction we just finished adding to this same house. They are highly capable, but more importantly they are wonderful, honest, and honorable people, and I happily recommend them without reservation.

PM me for contact details if desired, or to talk Tesla.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo Paiz View Post
    PM me for contact details if desired, or to talk Tesla.
    There's no problem to list appropriate commercial contact details for relevant electricians in this thread. (Just no advertising please)

2010 2.0 Sport, VIN 0683 jordanthompson's Avatar
    I actually installed the 220 line and outlet myself. I got the permit, had it inspected, etc. It wasn't too bad - the hardest part was running the line through the floor joists of the garage between the ceiling and the attic flooring.
    If you're handy, I'd give it a whirl yourself: get some worthless experience and save a few bucks while you're at it!
    "No matter where you go, you're already there in your Tesla" -- Paraphrased from Buckaroo Banzai

Just a friendly reminder that in the "fiscal cliff" legislation there was some language that permitted the deduction of EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment). I think the limit was $1k deduction but don't quote me on that.
    Tesla Model S P#9,372 - VIN #: 3452 (2013)
    85kWh | Grey Paint | Tech Package | Tan Leather | Lacewood Decor | Panoramic Roof | 19" Wheels | Air Suspension | Sound Studio
    Tesla Model X Sig#139

P445 / VIN 1794 ClearwaterBchSteve's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Frustration View Post
    Just a friendly reminder that in the "fiscal cliff" legislation there was some language that permitted the deduction of EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment). I think the limit was $1k deduction but don't quote me on that.
    That's good to know! Thanks. I need to install a completely new panel when I put in a permanent NEMA 14-50.
    Metallic Silver P85 Reserved: 3/28/2009, Delivered: 12/21/2012 (1355 days) C.H.A.R.G.E.D.
    FLORIDA TESLA ENTHUSIASTS

Thread Information