Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

List of Electrical Contractors That Are Friendly to EV Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DJ Frustration

Former Model X Sig, Model S, Model 3, Model Y
Jun 19, 2012
Miami, Florida
Does anyone think it makes sense to start maintaining a list of Electrical Contractors that we've had success working with for our home charging outlet installations?

Thoughts?

I obtained three different quotes for my NEMA 14-50 install and they were all over the map. Contractors that don't see $$ signs when an EV is mentioned should be rewarded with our business.

Excellent idea. Regarding pricing, I did my own install and I can confirm there is a large difference in price just in the parts. A NEMA 14-50 receptacle can vary in price between $10-$80; there is a difference in quality, thou may not be worth it to pay extra for some. Same goes for the junction box, circuit breakers, etc. The price difference can be as simple as one contractor using "contractor grade" and the other using "commercial grade" parts.

I have an electrical contractor, Chris Grant, in the DFW area (McKinney, Plano, Frisco). He installed mine - to my specifications - but is not, per se, an EV-only installer (he also did my 240V pool salt chlorinator, and jet tub). He is fair and friendly. If you are in the DFW area and get exorbitant quotes, PM me and I will give you his contact.

This may be slightly OT, but I took advice from the forums (DSM363, I think) and asked for a RV/welder outlet, rather than EV support. This kept the money-grab to a minimum. For my specific rewire (across the house, thru attic, etc.) I got a quote of about $500, and the Solar City/Mr. Electric crew estimated over $1500. 'Nuff said.

For the metropolitan area around Miami, Florida, Mike Isaacs of MI Electric (a father-son business) have done all the electrical work on my house for the last 2.5 years (since I moved here), including all the electrical work on the 1500-sqft construction we just finished adding to this same house. They are highly capable, but more importantly they are wonderful, honest, and honorable people, and I happily recommend them without reservation.

PM me for contact details if desired, or to talk Tesla. :)

I actually installed the 220 line and outlet myself. I got the permit, had it inspected, etc. It wasn't too bad - the hardest part was running the line through the floor joists of the garage between the ceiling and the attic flooring.
If you're handy, I'd give it a whirl yourself: get some worthless experience and save a few bucks while you're at it!

I definitely could use a referral in the Tampa area.

SolarCity referred Mr. Electric my way. They came out for an estimate.

I'm fortunate that my car is parking right next to my 200 amp panel in the garage - so all that is needed is about a 3 inch run from the box.

Mr. Electric quoted $980 (which sounds insane, especially considering there is just about 0 cable and conduit cost). The contractor did reveal some info - he said that they have to use SolarCity's pricing, not their own. They also must use a permit. He said that I don't actually require a permit for the install, and that they would have priced around $300 less... but in order to not burn SolarCity, he must do it their way and at their price.

I am planning on having a NEMA 14-50 installed ASAP as a holdover for the HPWC.

Any idea on what I should be paying? Considering there is easy access and really no real "run" to lay down, I'm guessing $150 - $250... maybe even less? Seems like a 45min jobbie.

Any followup thoughts on what I should pay when moving to the HPWC?

Thanks!

Can't help with Tampa, but anyone interested in the WPB area should contact Jeremy Mullen at jeremy33417 at yahoo dot com. He did my 14-50, ran up into crawl space, 20 feet across, and down thru conduit to 14-50 outlet for $500

I am planning on having a NEMA 14-50 installed ASAP as a holdover for the HPWC.

Any idea on what I should be paying? Considering there is easy access and really no real "run" to lay down, I'm guessing $150 - $250... maybe even less? Seems like a 45min jobbie.

Hi Liam,

I doubt you will be able to find a price at less than $250. Pulling a permit will probably cost more than $100 alone.

Larry

I'm facing a >$2k job since I need to replace my entire "fuse box" with modern 200A service, plus the 14-50 will be on the opposite side of the garage :mad:

I have a temporary home-made "adaptor" that's allowing me to charge via my dryer plug at 35A so I'm not in a critical rush, but I have to keep plugging and unplugging equipment which is inconvenient.

Last year, I had some local electricians run a new set of wiring from my existing box to my oven and cooktop and it was about $275.

I agree with Larry, it's probably going to be $250+ no matter how you slice it. (5 fill ups at a gas station)

Steve.

If its an easy run, just do it yourself for the parts - I did mine (it was more difficult) and it only took a couple of hours.
Even though it doesn't really do anything functional, make sure you get it inspected and keep the paperwork. If there is any fire in your house, I am sure the insurance company will be looking for excuses not to pay ;-)

I didn't provide Mike's coordinates earlier because I didn't have them at hand, and later I forgot. Here they are:

Michael A. Isaaca
786-295-9521
[email protected]

As I noted before, Mike and Mike Jr. have done all the electrical work on my house (including in the construction of a 1500-ft2 addition) and I've had nothing but great things to say about them. Highly recommended, and sorry to have taken so long to provide the data. :)

Finally got my installation complete; my electrician is very busy and you have to book him a week or two in advance. Very neat, clean and professional. I can highly recommend:

Bellmore Electric Inc.
4557 Abacos Pl.
Bradenton Fl.34203
941-779-6148
[email protected]

photo.JPG