Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official: Model S Extended Service & Warranty Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having read that link, the wording is ambiguous as to warranties.

"Model S comes standard with a Four Year, 50,000 mile New Vehicle Warranty. An additional Four Year, 50,000 mile Extended Warranty will now be available for $2,500. Please note, this is a “Four Year” Extended Warranty, not two or three years like most Extended Warranties. You will be able to purchase this option through your MyTesla page in the near future.".

Does additional mean, a time extension ... an additional 4 years, OR a superset warranty for the first 4?

One can easily read this to suggest that the first four years no longer cost $600 per year (before discount) ... and is the warranty still void if you do not pony up?

Admittedly, further on it states, "Several months ago we announced a Four Year, up to 50,000 Mile Prepaid Maintenance program for $1,900, or $2,400 with unlimited Tesla Ranger visits. ".

Official: Model S Extended Service & Warranty Options

New Prices, Updates & Additions

Model S comes standard with a Four Year, 50,000 mile New Vehicle Warranty. An additional Four Year, 50,000 mile Extended Warranty will now be available for $2,500. Please note, this is a “Four Year” Extended Warranty, not two or three years like most Extended Warranties. You will be able to purchase this option through your MyTesla page in the near future.

Several months ago we
announced a Four Year, up to 50,000 Mile Prepaid Maintenance program for $1,900, or $2,400 with unlimited Tesla Ranger visits. You will now be able to purchase an additional Four Years and 50,000 miles of Prepaid Maintenance for an additional $1,900, or $2,400 with unlimited Tesla Ranger visits. With this additional program you can now cover everything on your Model S, except tires, for eight years and up to 100,000 miles for $3,800, or $4,800 with unlimited Tesla Ranger visits.

- - - Updated - - -

Having read that link, the wording is ambiguous as to warranties.

I don't see the ambiguity. Any extended warranty by definition is an extension past the original offered/included warranty.

Sp4rk: It's a time extension--an additional 4 years.

Where I get completely confused is the distinction between an extended warranty and a prepaid maintenance program. If I get the warranty but not the prepaid maintenance, I assume that means that I'm responsible for getting the car to a service center, but the parts and labor are covered. If I get the prepaid maintenance but not the warranty, I pay for parts and labor but getting the car to the service center is covered. Is that right, or am I way off?

This is more confusing than it should be.

Sp4rk: It's a time extension--an additional 4 years.

Where I get completely confused is the distinction between an extended warranty and a prepaid maintenance program. If I get the warranty but not the prepaid maintenance, I assume that means that I'm responsible for getting the car to a service center, but the parts and labor are covered. If I get the prepaid maintenance but not the warranty, I pay for parts and labor but getting the car to the service center is covered. Is that right, or am I way off?

Totally different things.
Maintenance is just that--routine work, expected work and updates. Doesn't cover broken brakes or PEM failures or anything like that.
Warranty is the insurance against parts failures and typically has nothing to do with the maintenance coverage--in the case of Tesla you could purchase the separate ranger service which would get them to the car at no charge, but if you don't have that then you pay for the ranger or take the car to the service dept.

I'm confused as to what exactly this means.

This is my read:

1. Warranty - You get a 4yr/50k warranty with the car. You can now buy an extended additional warranty for years 5 through 8 (or 50k miles) for $2,500.

2. Service - You can buy the pre-paid 4yr/50k service plan for $1,900 ($2,400 if you include Ranger visits). You can now buy an additional service plan for years 5 through 8 (or 100k miles) for the same $1,900/$2,400 respectively. Alternatively you can look at it as an 8yr/100k service plan for $3,800 or $4,800 including Ranger service.

Evan got the "maintenance without extended warranty" question covered. Thanks.

I guess I look at this and wonder what is the benefit of the extended warranty versus prepaid maintenance. The prepaid maintenance description says it covers
"With this additional program you can now cover everything on your Model S, except tires, for eight years and up to 100,000 miles for $3,800, or $4,800 with unlimited Tesla Ranger visits."
So if the maintenance covers everything what benefit do you get from the extended warranty? Do you need both or is it one or the other type thing?

... You can now buy an additional service plan for years 5 through 8 (or 100k miles) for the same $1,900/$2,400 respectively. Alternatively you can look at it as an 8yr/100k service plan for $3,800 or $4,800 including Ranger service....
Where is the info on the 5-8 year plan? I don't see it here.

Never mind -- it's in the price increase info.

Last edited:
So if the maintenance covers everything what benefit do you get from the extended warranty? Do you need both or is it one or the other type thing?

If your LCD screen starts to develop pixel issues or vertical/horizontal lines after 4 years, then it would be replaced as part of the extended warranty. Since it's a non-maintenance, the maintenance plan would not cover it. However, they did not mention if you buy the extended warranty, then you'll probably have to get the annual maintenance service done (either prepaid or at time of service).

I guess I look at this and wonder what is the benefit of the extended warranty versus prepaid maintenance. The prepaid maintenance description says it covers
"With this additional program you can now cover everything on your Model S, except tires, for eight years and up to 100,000 miles for $3,800, or $4,800 with unlimited Tesla Ranger visits."
That's my reading as well, he specifically says$3800 covers everything for 8 years (which is a bargain IMHO). I don't see what the extended warranty is unless it's something like a more expensive way to have the car covered without the inspections? That is, they give you a discount if you bring the car in to be inspected, but charge more if you wait for something to break.

Even though it's my suggestion, I think it sounds unlikely, but what else could it mean?

In general, it seems like Tesla isn't very comfortable with describing warranty provisions.

The maintenance program does not cover everything. If you do not get the extended warrantee and the air suspension breaks, the maintenance program is not going to cover it. What the maintenance program does cover is additional items the warrantee does not (wipers and wiper fluid and such) in addition to routine inspection and maintenance.

If you were to purchase the ext warrantee and not the maintenance program you would then likely be required to take it in for the $600 services. The choice is to either prepay or pay each service. If they can show your car failed due to failure to maintain it or to do so properly, that will not be covered by the warrantee.

I hope some of these options have a window longer than "30 days after delivery of your S". I know the service plan was supposedly a 30 day window, but it'll get real expensive real fast. 4 year maintenance $2400 + another 4 years $2400 plus extended warranty $2500 plus advance battery replacement $12000. That's $7,300 cash up front for service and warrant or $19,300 including battery :crying:. It'd be nice to put these options onto the MVPA and just finance the items as you would through a regular dealers or give us some time to mull things over and save up for these prepaid options.

I hope some of these options have a window longer than "30 days after delivery of your S". I know the service plan was supposedly a 30 day window, but it'll get real expensive real fast. 4 year maintenance $2400 + another 4 years $2400 plus extended warranty $2500 plus advance battery replacement $12000. That's $7,300 cash up front for service and warrant or $19,300 including battery :crying:. It'd be nice to put these options onto the MVPA and just finance the items as you would through a regular dealers or give us some time to mull things over and save up for these prepaid options.

Do we know these wont be on the MVPA? I was hoping placing the order through myTesla added it to the MVPA. I guess it does not make too much of a difference, just that much less down.

The current 4 year prepaid service plan was not an option to add on my MVPAs. Going forward, it would be nice, but I guess they don't want all the existing MVPAs that have signed and approved contracts to go through the approval process again.

Wow, all sorts of things you can spend more money on :)

Silly sarcasm aside, these all look pretty good. I can basically get 100,000 miles/8 years of full warranty and service for $7300. My gut feel is that's pretty good, though I'll confess I have no idea what equivalents are from other companies.

I'm a bit confused because Tesla previously said you basically had to get the maintenance for the warranty to be valid, right? So . . . now here are extended options for both, priced separately. How's this work? Am I not required to extend both or else they're useless? I guess I could extend maintenance but not warranty, but . . . ? (head explosion)

I'm also wondering if I have to extend either/both up front. As long as I extend by the time something expires, can't I buy then? I suspect not. I've never bought an extended warranty in my life, so this is probably normal, but GB didn't actually spell it out.

@shokunin: Yes, I'm thinking this, too; after the purchase I won't have a ton of cash under the mattress. I don't want to have several loans here. I wonder if I can describe this to my credit union and get them to include it into one loan, even though maintenance, warranty, etc. are separate purchases.

@shokunin: Yes, I'm thinking this, too; after the purchase I won't have a ton of cash under the mattress. I don't want to have several loans here. I wonder if I can describe this to my credit union and get them to include it into one loan, even though maintenance, warranty, etc. are separate purchases.

Whoops, not enough sleep for me. As my better half pointed out to me when I mentioned this, I can hold back the cost of extended warranty (something I normally never get) and regular+extended maintenance, and finance more of the car, and pay it up front. It works out the same either way. (blush) This might not help others, but if you haven't set up financing yet, keep it in mind.

I haven't set up financing yet; I won't get the car till March-April, when hopefully I'll have more cash to contribute towards the downpayment. Hmm, how much time should I allow for arranging a loan? A week? A month? Last time I bought a car was at my credit union's new car sale, so they had people there and did it all on the spot. Is it normally that quick?

I'm a bit confused because Tesla previously said you basically had to get the maintenance for the warranty to be valid, right? So . . . now here are extended options for both, priced separately. How's this work? Am I not required to extend both or else they're useless? I guess I could extend maintenance but not warranty, but . . . ? (head explosion)

If GeorgeB's previous post about warranty being contingent upon service, then I would expect it would be necessary to service the vehicle at Tesla's interval in order for the extended warranty to be valid. Whether you pay as you go or buy it all up front for servicing would be up to you. That's just my gut feeling, but we'd have to see the wording to fully understand.

In my opinion, since this is version 1.0, it would make the most sense to buy the 8 year warranty and the 8 year service plan. Since I live near a Tesla service center, this would be $2500+$1900+$1900 = $6,300, taxable.

This would add substantially to my bill if it were required up front. Perhaps Tesla will offer a means of buying the extended warranty and the year 5-8 service plan within a certain time frame after taking ownership of the car. Hopefully it isn't all up front.

- - - Updated - - -

Tell me about it.

In 6 weeks, I've gone from a $80,000 60 kWh Model S to a $101,000 85 kWh Model S! I'm really hoping that the extended warranty and service plans can be bought later.

Last edited: