Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Official: Model S Extended Service & Warranty Options

Banned

Official: Model S Extended Service & Warranty Options

Having read that link, the wording is ambiguous as to warranties.

"Model S comes standard with a Four Year, 50,000 mile New Vehicle Warranty. An additional Four Year, 50,000 mile Extended Warranty will now be available for $2,500. Please note, this is a “Four Year” Extended Warranty, not two or three years like most Extended Warranties. You will be able to purchase this option through your MyTesla page in the near future.".

Does additional mean, a time extension ... an additional 4 years, OR a superset warranty for the first 4?

One can easily read this to suggest that the first four years no longer cost $600 per year (before discount) ... and is the warranty still void if you do not pony up?

Admittedly, further on it states, "Several months ago we announced a Four Year, up to 50,000 Mile Prepaid Maintenance program for $1,900, or $2,400 with unlimited Tesla Ranger visits. ".

Blog Entries

Official: Model S Extended Service & Warranty Options

New Prices, Updates & Additions

Model S comes standard with a Four Year, 50,000 mile New Vehicle Warranty. An additional Four Year, 50,000 mile Extended Warranty will now be available for $2,500. Please note, this is a “Four Year” Extended Warranty, not two or three years like most Extended Warranties. You will be able to purchase this option through your MyTesla page in the near future.

Several months ago we
    announced a Four Year, up to 50,000 Mile Prepaid Maintenance program for $1,900, or $2,400 with unlimited Tesla Ranger visits. You will now be able to purchase an additional Four Years and 50,000 miles of Prepaid Maintenance for an additional $1,900, or $2,400 with unlimited Tesla Ranger visits. With this additional program you can now cover everything on your Model S, except tires, for eight years and up to 100,000 miles for $3,800, or $4,800 with unlimited Tesla Ranger visits.
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sp4rk View Post
    Having read that link, the wording is ambiguous as to warranties.
    I don't see the ambiguity. Any extended warranty by definition is an extension past the original offered/included warranty.

I'm confused as to what exactly this means.
    P427 Performance White/Tan

Pistons are unnecessary. Todd Burch's Avatar
    Sp4rk: It's a time extension--an additional 4 years.

Where I get completely confused is the distinction between an extended warranty and a prepaid maintenance program. If I get the warranty but not the prepaid maintenance, I assume that means that I'm responsible for getting the car to a service center, but the parts and labor are covered. If I get the prepaid maintenance but not the warranty, I pay for parts and labor but getting the car to the service center is covered. Is that right, or am I way off?

This is more confusing than it should be.
    P1577, VIN 1653, 85 kWh, Dolphin Gray, 19" wheels, Black leather, Piano black interior, Pano roof, Tech package, Sound studio, air suspension.
    Burning electrons since 2012.

Model S VIN P01536 Robert.Boston's Avatar
    If one were to buy the full 8-year warranty and then sell the car after, say, 5 years, is the warranty coverage transferable to the new owner?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch View Post
    Sp4rk: It's a time extension--an additional 4 years.

Where I get completely confused is the distinction between an extended warranty and a prepaid maintenance program. If I get the warranty but not the prepaid maintenance, I assume that means that I'm responsible for getting the car to a service center, but the parts and labor are covered. If I get the prepaid maintenance but not the warranty, I pay for parts and labor but getting the car to the service center is covered. Is that right, or am I way off?

Totally different things.
    Maintenance is just that--routine work, expected work and updates. Doesn't cover broken brakes or PEM failures or anything like that.
    Warranty is the insurance against parts failures and typically has nothing to do with the maintenance coverage--in the case of Tesla you could purchase the separate ranger service which would get them to the car at no charge, but if you don't have that then you pay for the ranger or take the car to the service dept.
    Evan E. Fusco, MD--Nixa, MO
    Model S R77/VIN-1267-- Black 85kWh (non-perf), Tech, Lacewood trim, tan interior, Sound Studio, Air Suspension, 19" rims, twin chargers, HPWC
    Model X Reservation Sequence # 5966 (for the wife)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by contaygious View Post
    I'm confused as to what exactly this means.
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch View Post
    This is my read:

1. Warranty - You get a 4yr/50k warranty with the car. You can now buy an extended additional warranty for years 5 through 8 (or 50k miles) for $2,500.

2. Service - You can buy the pre-paid 4yr/50k service plan for $1,900 ($2,400 if you include Ranger visits). You can now buy an additional service plan for years 5 through 8 (or 100k miles) for the same $1,900/$2,400 respectively. Alternatively you can look at it as an 8yr/100k service plan for $3,800 or $4,800 including Ranger service.

Evan got the "maintenance without extended warranty" question covered. Thanks.

I guess I look at this and wonder what is the benefit of the extended warranty versus prepaid maintenance. The prepaid maintenance description says it covers
    "With this additional program you can now cover everything on your Model S, except tires, for eight years and up to 100,000 miles for $3,800, or $4,800 with unlimited Tesla Ranger visits."
    So if the maintenance covers everything what benefit do you get from the extended warranty? Do you need both or is it one or the other type thing?

Quote Originally Posted by NigelM View Post
    ... You can now buy an additional service plan for years 5 through 8 (or 100k miles) for the same $1,900/$2,400 respectively. Alternatively you can look at it as an 8yr/100k service plan for $3,800 or $4,800 including Ranger service....
    Where is the info on the 5-8 year plan? I don't see it here.

Never mind -- it's in the price increase info.
    Last edited by TXjak; 11-29-2012 at 07:49 AM. Reason: found the info
    Solar Powered, Black, 60kWh, Twin chargers, Superchargable, Tech Pkg,
    Active Air Suspension, 19" Wheels, Tan leather & Lacewood interior.

(Model S No. 3821, home since 9am, Jan 29th, 2013.)

P85 & 40kw
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacrament055 View Post
    So if the maintenance covers everything what benefit do you get from the extended warranty? Do you need both or is it one or the other type thing?
    If your LCD screen starts to develop pixel issues or vertical/horizontal lines after 4 years, then it would be replaced as part of the extended warranty. Since it's a non-maintenance, the maintenance plan would not cover it. However, they did not mention if you buy the extended warranty, then you'll probably have to get the annual maintenance service done (either prepaid or at time of service).

Thread Information