Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VP#21 - Radiant Red - Encino, CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could I get a quick history lesson on these VP's? From the name, Validation Prototype, this sounds like a member of the last batch of cars that in software we might call "beta", followed by production in some form or fashion.

Assuming I've got the right idea of the timing on the car build, how does it end up with a 64k warranty? I note with interest, how closely 28k miles (currently on the odometer) plus 36k (for a 3 yr/36k warranty, if the car was new) adds up to 64k :)

The post indicates that the car has a new battery and engine - could that explain the 2010 and Sport claim?

Well - I sure do like that Radiant Red - I'll also see if I can get in touch with the seller, and see what I can learn.

Any help or info is appreciated.

Validation Prototypes are basically "demo" cars that Tesla moved around the country, sometimes Europe. Test drives, press events, etc. That was my understanding anyways. The "Betas" you refer to are Engineering Prototypes (EP's)I believe and not VP's. I could be wrong.

After Tesla was "done" with the demo's, they would refurbish it and sell it as new. I can't confirm if they changed battery but they did change out to new tires and brake pads and such.

I have the VP32, manufactured in January 2009, sold to first owner in October of 2009. Warranty (4 years) officially began in October of 2009 with approx 5000 miles on it. Selling price was $120,000-ish (some upgrades). Currently, at 7800 miles, battery charges to 193 (110v) and 186 (240v) ideal miles.

If you call Tesla, they can give you quite a bit of information, no private stuff regarding the owner but some service info and such. If you care to, you can have the owner send you the log file and you can parse through for details. I didn't bother since mine has warranty.

I wrote the seller asking why they called it a 2010 Sport, and they responded saying that the brochures they found in the trunk said that.
Sheeshh... Way to fact check... :confused:

(Tesla tended to put marketing materials in the trunks of the VPs to pass out to interested potential future customers.)

I wrote the seller, and didn't get a response :frown:

I'll try again in a week or 2 when the fall term is finished and things are more settled for me. Jackyche has passed along some info about the VP's; the presence of the warranty is appealing to me.

Hey there adiggs,
don't outkick your coverage on this one(football analogy, roll tide)
pristine 1.5's with very low mileage, all the bells & whistles, and remaining warranty time are going for mid 60's currently. 2.0's mid 60's to low 70's with 2.0 sports in the mid 70's to 80's from pvt sellers. Base 2.0 with just a few upgrades through the preowned tesla program for 82000 with the option of adding a 3 year warranty for an additional 5000.
so this one looks WAY overpriced to me.
happy hunting

Definitely a 2008.
Digit 10 of the VIN is the year code.
That is an 8 (for 2008) in here:
5YJRE11B781V00021

Tesla didn't make sport models in 2008...

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, VP21 at the Paris auto show in October 2008:

2914674467_dccebf32fb_z.jpg

Thread with pictures of it on the "Royal Pains" TV show:
Tesla in 'Royal Pains' on USA Network
attachment.php?attachmentid=339&stc=1&d=1250270022.jpg

VP21 test drives in Miami, Dec 2008:
Feel the Heat: Tesla Roadshow hits Miami during Art Basel | Blog | Tesla Motors
display_data.php

Last edited:
Tesla VP21 AVAILABLE to purchase

Hi. I had a reservation on VP21 through the CPO program. The car is a 1.5 built in September 2008 with roughly 30,000 miles. I wont mention the price Tesla had asked us to pay as I can't assume that will continue to be the price (fwiw, we had the reservation for some time).

If this appeals to you I suggest contacting Tesla's CPO program. fwiw, the car is currently in NY.

We are not canceling because of any issue with the car... test drove it and it was great. I was looking to buy it with my two brothers. I'd already bought another Roadster, and as things turned out a second Roaster in the family was just too much for us to justify.

The point is, I appreciate the help of the guys in the CPO program, and I appreciate the community here at TMC. I thought this might be a case where someone at TMC and the CPO guys could benefit from sharing this information.

Note to moderators: I went to post this on "Tesla for sale" thread, and it sent me to a page to enter a seller's details that seemed inappropriate for my purposes, so I posted here... you may well have a better place to put this post.