Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feature: Volume drops with door open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

brianman

Burrito Founder
Nov 10, 2011
I don't recall anyone mentioning this, and it was news to me.

1. Sit in the driver seat.
2. Turn on some music.
3. Set the volume to high (9+).
4. Open on the driver door.
Observe: Volume (actual and UI) drops to about the 2 level.
5. Close the driver door.
Observe: Volume returns to high level (9+).

Me likee.

I don't recall anyone mentioning this, and it was news to me.

1. Sit in the driver seat.
2. Turn on some music.
3. Set the volume to high (9+).
4. Open on the driver door.
Observe: Volume (actual and UI) drops to about the 2 level.
5. Close the driver door.
Observe: Volume returns to high level (9+).

Me likee.

Yea, they added that in one of the firmware updates. Pretty cool.

I find this feature very annoying, and I wish I could turn it off. Sometimes I'm working around the car or on the car cleaning it or something and when I open the door the volume goes down. I wish it would stay the same. I have to go in the car and turn the volume back up. really annoying.

I find this feature very annoying, and I wish I could turn it off. Sometimes I'm working around the car or on the car cleaning it or something and when I open the door the volume goes down. I wish it would stay the same. I have to go in the car and turn the volume back up. really annoying.

Yeah, I'm not sure what this feature is trying to prevent.

I pick up my mail from a "rural-style" mailbox on the way home from work.
I want to hear the music, etc. when I step out for the 20 seconds or so it takes to
retrieve the mail.

I will say I rarely venture into the 9+ range.

not sure why this feature exists either. It certainly isn't protecting your hearing since as soon as you close the door (with you in it), it goes back up.

Maybe it is to prevent noise pollution outside the car as a courtesy to others???

Sent via Tapatalk.

not sure why this feature exists either. It certainly isn't protecting your hearing since as soon as you close the door (with you in it), it goes back up.

Maybe it is to prevent noise pollution outside the car as a courtesy to others???

Sent via Tapatalk.

Yes, it's to prevent blaring your sound outside the car when you open your door.

Sometimes you don't even realize how loud it is until you open your door in a quiet outside area.

Tis is one of my favorite features.

Yes, it's to prevent blaring your sound outside the car when you open your door.

Sometimes you don't even realize how loud it is until you open your door in a quiet outside area.

Tis is one of my favorite features.

but what if I want to pollute the environment with noise that would make other people turn their heads and look at "me me me me me me me" ??? FAIL. :cursing:

It just seems weird to me. I don't really care one way or the other, but I wouldn't miss it if the "feature" wasn't there. With the windows down, I'm sure just as much sound goes outside the car anyway...

Wish I could tell the car to stay in "aux mode" so when I wax my car I enjoy listening to music. I have to close the doors, roll the windows down and "reach in" to touch screen to wake the car up. Seems weird...no? Any other suggestions?