Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Three Weeks with Signature Performance (Pros and Cons)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First, I am enjoying the car immensely - which is most important. A few minor glitches on delivery, some possible design flaws/issues, and a whole lot of fun and admiration otherwise. List below not meant to be comprehensive, just an accumulation of items after having had a chance to drive it around town a bit. there are a number of items I expect to be improved (voice control, parking guides on rear view screen etc) but I can be patient for those.

Bottom line - expensive, but worth the wait. I replaced a 13-year old Mercedes E Class that had chalked up 260,000 miles (kept it for my kids).

The quick positives -

1) great looking - universal opinion of observers.
2) quick - amazingly so when you want it.
3) a head-turner - but subtle. Lots of double takes, walk-arounds when parked, but few hoots or outright stares.
4) touch screen interface excellent - highly intuitive, easy to use.
5) handling superb, road feel excellent (a little more BMW than Mercedes, imo)
6) one pedal driving easy to get used to.
7) my daughter loves putting her school bag in the frunk.
8) given six test drives, two new confirmed reservations, one on the edge.

The quick issues - (none are dealbreakers but expecting most to be remedied)

1) "b" pillar corner is rubbed on every entry and exit to car by driver - almost certainly a design flaw - will need a modified rounded edge or some sort of protector piece. my leather stitching already unraveling at that spot.
2) some body panels not aligned as well as they should be. some of this may be adjustable (e.g. hood slightly out of alignment) when I get first visit from service next week. risk of being first adopter.
3) front passenger door requires more effort to close than others and window rattles - expecting a fix after service visit.
4) fan may have a bad bearing - that will have to be checked out by service.
5) weatherstripping for sunroof does not always seem to return to proper position after use - could be type of material - more foam like than rubber - or some other issue.
6) bluetooth a little flaky - phone (iPhone 4) is not seen about 1 time in 4 or 5 - sometimes can be remedied, twice required a reboot.
7) lack of a rear floor mat or option to add from company store is annoying at the price.
8) local range a bit less than expected, even without lead foot driving. presumably all about energy needed to get the considerable mass moving once stopped at lights or stop signs. (Highway matches expectations).

Great review. I love the Test-Drive-to-Reservation ratio of 6:3. Do you remember when Tesla was offering $1,000 for every referred reservation made? You would have done well. The B Pillar comment noted and a hard fix, and agree about rear floor mats. But you will be better off in Miami than I will in January in Greater Boston...

6) bluetooth a little flaky - phone (iPhone 4) is not seen about 1 time in 4 or 5 - sometimes can be remedied, twice required a reboot.

I wonde rif it's an ios6 thing? I've began having issues in my Audi as well, but only since iOS6 (which brought wifi issues as well)

Thank you for the succinct and detailed post. This is what we need. Too late for me to back out despite the problems. I'm already committed to buying and it should be here in a few weeks. But yeah, those are necessarily deal breakers (unless there were a sufficient number of them that it passes the threshold of being a deal breaker). Only way to really know is to own one.

"b" pillar corner is rubbed on every entry and exit to car by driver - almost certainly a design flaw - will need a modified rounded edge or some sort of protector piece. my leather stitching already unraveling at that spot.

I've noticed this on numerous beta and test drive cars. I even asked a Tesla rep about this and they said it's because the test cars have had more people in and out of them in a few months than a typical owner would in a lifetime. I didn't buy it at the time, and it now looks like we have confirmation. It is an odd design which I think is just so that the door armrest flows through to the rest of the car's interior when the door is closed. Most cars have relatively flat/smooth B-pillars, and are also usually covered at seat level with a harder/more durable material. Hoping Tesla makes good on some sort of repair or fix.

First, I am enjoying the car immensely - which is most important. A few minor glitches on delivery, some possible design flaws/issues, and a whole lot of fun and admiration otherwise. List below not meant to be comprehensive, just an accumulation of items after having had a chance to drive it around town a bit. there are a number of items I expect to be improved (voice control, parking guides on rear view screen etc) but I can be patient for those.

Bottom line - expensive, but worth the wait. I replaced a 13-year old Mercedes E Class that had chalked up 260,000 miles (kept it for my kids).

The quick positives -

1) great looking - universal opinion of observers.
2) quick - amazingly so when you want it.
3) a head-turner - but subtle. Lots of double takes, walk-arounds when parked, but few hoots or outright stares.
4) touch screen interface excellent - highly intuitive, easy to use.
5) handling superb, road feel excellent (a little more BMW than Mercedes, imo)
6) one pedal driving easy to get used to.
7) my daughter loves putting her school bag in the frunk.
8) given six test drives, two new confirmed reservations, one on the edge.

The quick issues - (none are dealbreakers but expecting most to be remedied)

1) "b" pillar corner is rubbed on every entry and exit to car by driver - almost certainly a design flaw - will need a modified rounded edge or some sort of protector piece. my leather stitching already unraveling at that spot.
2) some body panels not aligned as well as they should be. some of this may be adjustable (e.g. hood slightly out of alignment) when I get first visit from service next week. risk of being first adopter.
3) front passenger door requires more effort to close than others and window rattles - expecting a fix after service visit.
4) fan may have a bad bearing - that will have to be checked out by service.
5) weatherstripping for sunroof does not always seem to return to proper position after use - could be type of material - more foam like than rubber - or some other issue.
7) lack of a rear floor mat or option to add from company store is annoying at the price.
8) local range a bit less than expected, even without lead foot driving. presumably all about energy needed to get the considerable mass moving once stopped at lights or stop signs. (Highway matches expectations).

Great post. I'm at my one month anniversary with the car on Friday, and can offer my two cents, jumping off of this good post. I'm in complete agreement on the positives. On the negatives, I'm not sure I understand the b-pillar issue. How is it rubbed on entry/exit? Where on the b-pillar is this happening? On the inside? I don't have leather there. I'm confused.

On passenger side door, I asked about this -- it's a constant problem for passengers not shutting the door firmly enough. I was told that it's designed that way on purpose to get a good seal on the door, so don't expect a fix from Tesla. You'll just have to live with telling people they need to use some power to shut the door. It's slightly annoying at first, but my "regular" passengers (ie, my wife) are already used to it.

Bluetooth is definitely an issue at times, as is 3G connectivity. Internet, Nav, and Slacker/TuneIn all have various times where they are slow or not working if I'm in an area with bad cell service. For Bluetooth, I've been using a Bluetooth earpiece, which allows me to be connected to my two phones (would love this to be in a software upgrade), and the car is so quiet that I can hear everything, and most everyone can hear me without my having to shout.

Range can be weird. Driving out of my neighborhood always using insane amounts of energy (regularly over 500 Wh), yet driving home I'll hover around 300 Wh on the same streets, so I wonder if its not the stop/start as much as the car warming up somehow (maybe the a/c, although it hasn't been that warm out). Highway driving is definitely more range-friendly, even at higher speeds. And I love coming off the highway and getting some green in there!

Thank you for the succinct and detailed post. This is what we need. Too late for me to back out despite the problems. I'm already committed to buying and it should be here in a few weeks. But yeah, those are necessarily deal breakers (unless there were a sufficient number of them that it passes the threshold of being a deal breaker). Only way to really know is to own one.

I would not have backed out for these items. But at the price, you'd like to see an effort to get it right. Tesla still has to prove they can get it right with service for Model S, but overall, the car is a winner.

- - - Updated - - -

Great post. I'm at my one month anniversary with the car on Friday, and can offer my two cents, jumping off of this good post. I'm in complete agreement on the positives. On the negatives, I'm not sure I understand the b-pillar issue. How is it rubbed on entry/exit? Where on the b-pillar is this happening? On the inside? I don't have leather there. I'm confused.

On passenger side door, I asked about this -- it's a constant problem for passengers not shutting the door firmly enough. I was told that it's designed that way on purpose to get a good seal on the door, so don't expect a fix from Tesla. You'll just have to live with telling people they need to use some power to shut the door. It's slightly annoying at first, but my "regular" passengers (ie, my wife) are already used to it.

Bluetooth is definitely an issue at times, as is 3G connectivity. Internet, Nav, and Slacker/TuneIn all have various times where they are slow or not working if I'm in an area with bad cell service. For Bluetooth, I've been using a Bluetooth earpiece, which allows me to be connected to my two phones (would love this to be in a software upgrade), and the car is so quiet that I can hear everything, and most everyone can hear me without my having to shout.

Range can be weird. Driving out of my neighborhood always using insane amounts of energy (regularly over 500 Wh), yet driving home I'll hover around 300 Wh on the same streets, so I wonder if its not the stop/start as much as the car warming up somehow (maybe the a/c, although it hasn't been that warm out). Highway driving is definitely more range-friendly, even at higher speeds. And I love coming off the highway and getting some green in there!

Should have also added that there is a distortion at the bottom of the windshield AND that I can't get my SunPass to work in any position yet. Hoping one of the service guys has the answer. The distortion is no big deal unless you stare at it as it doesn't really affect your field of vision, but I really, really, do not want to mount an external transponder to the front of the car. As for the passenger door, I know the difference between a proper seal and one that is too tight - this one is too tight and maybe that's what's making it harder to close the door. All other windows/doors are perfect.

As for range, I recently got rated range going 65-70mph for a decent distance - was pleased with that. around town, depending on how I drive, at least 30 miles less projected than rated.

- - - Updated - - -

I wonde rif it's an ios6 thing? I've began having issues in my Audi as well, but only since iOS6 (which brought wifi issues as well)

I'm still using IOS5 (couldn't bear to lose Google Maps:smile:)

- - - Updated - - -

on the b-pillar issue - it's probably only really an issue if you are tall or like to drive with the seat pushed back a bit - so unless I am really careful getting in, there is contact around my waist level over left rear pocket with the corner of the interior that sort of sticks out there in a sharp point. If you look, you'll see it.

...On passenger side door, I asked about this -- it's a constant problem for passengers not shutting the door firmly enough. I was told that it's designed that way on purpose to get a good seal on the door, so don't expect a fix from Tesla. You'll just have to live with telling people they need to use some power to shut the door. It's slightly annoying at first, but my "regular" passengers (ie, my wife) are already used to it. ...

Really ?!?!?! I have spent all my years teaching my friends and family NOT to slam my doors :(

I'd think around town few need the full range. Or is it a problem?

no, not a problem for me. just worth noting.

- - - Updated - - -

This only impacts tall drivers who have the seat pushed back far enough to expose the b pillar. Pics are in this Seat Post Wear thread.

I'm not that tall - about 5'10" but i do like to drive with the seat back a bit.....

I am a fanboy.

My S has been with me for only 18 days now. I can confirm that it is the best car on the planet. Is it perfect? No. Can and will it be improved? Yes.
Every day people stop me to ask about it. Most are very impressed. Those who have had a ride or driven it have been impressed. Tesla grins all around. Even my mom and dad enjoyed the drive. Very smooth. My wife who previously complained about me going too fast in other cars has become mute. I am continuing to spread the word about Tesla.
The service people are wonderful. I hope they are able to retain these high quality enthusiastic people as they grow larger and the novelty wears off over the years.
Pros: 1 smooth
2 quiet
3 responsive (intoxicatingly so)
4 17 inch screen, need I say more?
5 quick and fast. ( I have not yet hit the limiter, but really, it is a car not a racecar.)
6 luxurious.
7 huge ( in fact this is also my biggest complaint).
8 subscription slacker radio is better than pandora and my prior XM. ( it works well most of the time though not near the mall on black Friday or small business Saturday.)
9 beautiful. ( how could I leave this to number nine?)
10 great stering wheel and column choice. ( I still have a little problem with the turn signal but muscle memory is kicking in.)
11 good seats for two hours. MB still has the best.
12 I am getting accustomed to the lack of storage. We Americans have too much stuff.

Cons:
1 cost
2 range
3 cost
4 range
5 cost
6 range
7 other issues as per others.

I expect that the electric car will become dominant if it has a 150 kWhr battery at a lower cost or there are superchargers on all major interstates. It is obvious after driving the Model S that electric is the future. I am glad that Tesla has chosen to be battery and energy source agnostic. We will continue to reap the rewards of battery researchers everywhere. In 8 to 12 years I expect to replace my battery with something cheaper and better.

As I have said before, I will drive my Model S until one of us can no longer drive.