Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Static or other noise while driving?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello... I recently test drove the Volt and it was a nice drive. The only annoyance with it was a slight, but noticeable static noise when driving the car. The only time that noise would go away would be on idle. It's obviously from the electricity somewhere that makes the noise. The dealer did mention it, but I'm a little sensitive and it actually bothered my wife as well. Does the S also have this type of sound when driving? I do read that the car is very quiet, which would make this type of noise even more noticeable.

Some have noticed a high pitched whine while under heavy acceleration but there's no noise from the power train while cruising and certainly none while stopped (no idling).

Last edited:
While I've had mine for two weeks and have not really done continuous 0-60 runs, I have not heard any whine as some have reported. And I never heard it in my test rides which were done hammering the throttle. I do hear the pedal hit the firewall though:love:

Hello... I recently test drove the Volt and it was a nice drive. The only annoyance with it was a slight, but noticeable static noise when driving the car. The only time that noise would go away would be on idle. It's obviously from the electricity somewhere that makes the noise. The dealer did mention it, but I'm a little sensitive and it actually bothered my wife as well. Does the S also have this type of sound when driving? I do read that the car is very quiet, which would make this type of noise even more noticeable.

At the start of my video below I included some high quality audio (Rode Video Mic Pro shoot-gun mic) of hard acceleration which should give you a good feel for the noise level. Supposedly the slight high pitched whine you here was reduced further in later revs of the Model S.

[video=vimeo;47613457]https://vimeo.com/47613457[/video]

No noise from my Model S either (other than wind/tires). It's kind of strange after 3 years of hearing the acceleration whine in the Roadster.

I've taken a long trip in a Volt, and didn't notice any unusual noises or things I'd call static. Of course it's possible I just didn't notice (I was with friends), but it may also have been something just in the particular car you drove.

No noise from my Model S either (other than wind/tires). It's kind of strange after 3 years of hearing the acceleration whine in the Roadster.

I've taken a long trip in a Volt, and didn't notice any unusual noises or things I'd call static. Of course it's possible I just didn't notice (I was with friends), but it may also have been something just in the particular car you drove.

You will notice it if the radio is off, though I did notice it with the radio on as well. The dealer pointed it out and told me it's in all of them. Also, it really depends on your age if you can hear it/hear it well/not hear it at all because it's a certain frequency and with age you lose certain frequencies.

The video that showed the whine is not good, but I'm glad they've fixed it in later revisions. Doesn't sound good at all.

14K+ miles on my wife's Volt and I have never heard any static type noise - very nice and quiet ride. I would drive another one or two if I were you - from a different dealer. It is surprising but some dealers would rather push you into an ICE vehicle - actually over heard a sales manager at one dealer tell a customer that the Volt would never catch on and that he was 'forced' to stock a couple. You may also want to go to the Volt forum and ask there. Lots of helpful folks. We have been very pleased with our Volt so far - averaging 102 mpg since we purchased in April.