Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Temportunity Console

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DaveVa

Sig Perf #236 VIN #484
May 31, 2011
Northern Virginia
While the openness of the console area is growing on me, the total lack of any enclosed storage space was really problematic. My Model S did not have the cubby and there is still have no word on when the redesigned cubby will be available (hopefully with a door!). No place for a pen, sunglasses, change or other small items with out them rolling around the console area. My solution was to get a small leather "multi-use box" from piel. The box is 6x6x2 with a magnetic clasp. The fit is not perfect, there is a space below the bottom of box, at the narrow end of the console area, because the fit is too snug. With a bit a velcro it could also be placed under the 17" display (under where the cubby will be) with space on both sides. I will probably try it in both places and see what is most functional and looks best. Not perfect - but for my purposes, it works - at least until Tesla reveals what the Opportunity Console options will be...

photo 3 (1).JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 1 (2).JPG

Nice solution. Also, seeing the floor reminded me that the opportunity console will be bringing matching decor to the floor insert with rubberized strips right? I hope that still comes along for the ride.

Great solution but I'm having a hard time finding this exact size. Can you post a link so I can purchase one as well?

I bought mine from Wayfair since they had the free Monogram:

Piel Multi-Use Small Leather Box | Wayfair

I've been thinking that with dremmel tool (which I have) and some skill (which I probably don't) one of these could be modified to be a perfect fit. Eliminate the sides and shape the bottom to match the the exact shape of the rear of the console area. If someone creative/crafty gives it a shot, I'd love to see the results.

Dave & Tim, do you still like this box as a temporary storage option? My car will hopefully be delivered next week with the cubby, but I like the idea of having some covered storage space closer than the glovebox.

I still don't have the cubby, but regardless I think a bit of covered storage is a must. The box has been great. It works well in tems of being easily accessible and not sliding around (pretty much wedged in place). As a totally out of the box (pun intended) stock, removeable option, I haven't found anything better.

My box holds the following: iPad/iPhone charge cords, pen, non rattling change holder, and mints/gum. Not sure where all that would go without it...

My experience with the box has really gotten me thinking how easy it would be to build a custom "perfect fit" enclosed space. I may not need a opportunity console - but instead just a small "box front" that velcros inplace and a "flip cover" using the existing tunnel as the sides and bottom. Basically serves the same purpose of the box but be a perfect fit. Someday will either modify a box to fit this purpose or find a leather shop that can build the two pieces.

Non-rattling chagee holder? Do tell!

Had this change holder from a previous vehicle - readily available on ebay...

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, Dave. I ordered one today from Shoebuy.com (which was the same $45 price as other sites after using a 5% discount code), since they offer free shipping on returns in case I find a better option.

Shoebuy - Free Shipping & Return Shipping

Let me know what you think once you get the car/box together. I'd also be very interested if you find other options.

Attachments

• change holder.jpg
    change holder.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 1,047
Mine came in today. It's definitely a snug fit. Wonder if adding Velcro under the bottom with it nearest the armrests would also work. Close and you wouldn't have to destroy either the rails or the box forcing it down?

It looks like Model S owners caused a run on these leather boxes, so they are no longer in stock at any online stores. Unfortunately, my order was cancelled by Shoebuy.com due to lack of supply. Guess I should have waited longer before posting about my future purchase. :wink:

DaveVa, thanks for the lead on this box - great idea. I went ahead and modified mine so that it would fit flat in place. Took about an hour, and lots of glue on my fingers, but for an inexpensive temporary box in the console, it works great. I made it so that it squeezes in tightly and I can remove it whenever without leaving any marks in the console. Here are my quick pictures I took along the process - if anyone wants to attempt it and has questions, let me know. It is definitely NOT perfect, but the leather covering hides most of the imperfections, so you don't have to be too careful. The box is made of a very compressed cardboard - not wood or anything, so it's easy to cut through with a sharp box cutter like the one you can see in a couple of the pictures. I used DAP Weldwood Contact Cement - which works great, but is messy - lots of strings, and takes a bit to get it off your fingers. However it does stick pretty quickly, and it looks just like the glue that was used to put together the box originally.

IMG_0529.jpg
IMG_0536.jpg
IMG_0539.jpg
IMG_0542.jpg
IMG_0552.jpg
IMG_0554.jpg
IMG_0560.jpg
IMG_0564.jpg
IMG_0566.jpg
IMG_0569.jpg
IMG_0573.jpg
IMG_3546.jpg
IMG_3548.jpg

DaveVa, thanks for the lead on this box - great idea. I went ahead and modified mine so that it would fit flat in place. Took about an hour, and lots of glue on my fingers, but for an inexpensive temporary box in the console, it works great. I made it so that it squeezes in tightly and I can remove it whenever without leaving any marks in the console. Here are my quick pictures I took along the process - if anyone wants to attempt it and has questions, let me know. It is definitely NOT perfect, but the leather covering hides most of the imperfections, so you don't have to be too careful. The box is made of a very compressed cardboard - not wood or anything, so it's easy to cut through with a sharp box cutter like the one you can see in a couple of the pictures. I used DAP Weldwood Contact Cement - which works great, but is messy - lots of strings, and takes a bit to get it off your fingers. However it does stick pretty quickly, and it looks just like the glue that was used to put together the box originally.

That was a great on mod on another mod. Thanks for sharing your pics.

View attachment 13530

Awesome execution! Looks great - still haven't taken the plunge to modify mine, but will follow your blueprint when the time comes.

Wow, very cool mod. I assume you just tapered the sides down? Was it the same diameter the whole way back?

I've got mine sitting under the screen. Is out of the way, doesn't move, and still quite handy (and easy to access). Love this forum for stuff like this.

The Piel company also makes a slightly larger leather box 8"x6"x2 1/2" that appears to be a good fit at a price that isn't much more money: LARGE LEATHER GIFT BOX - All Piel Leather Items - Browse All

I looked at that one also and the problem is that the 6" side is what would fit between the sides of the console, so you would not be able to open or close the flap.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, very cool mod. I assume you just tapered the sides down? Was it the same diameter the whole way back?

Yes, I tapered the sides, however it was more tapered on the back part compared to the front. Once you make a paper template of the space in the car, you can see it tapers out. You don't have to be exact because the thickness of the leather hides the imperfections. If this was a permanent addition to the car, I would have been more careful, but for a quick fix, and $50, it's fine.