Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Service Manual and Test Tools (electronic)

Service Manual and Test Tools (electronic)

I'm buying the service plan.

That being said, I would also like to purchase a shop manual and the required test tools. Has anyone considered this and had any feedback from Tesla on the subject? How did this work out for previous (or current) Roadster owners?

I'm interested in this as well.

Shop Manual and Tools(electronic)

I'm buying the service plan but would also like a shop manual and the necessary tools (scan tool/software) to service the car myself. Has anyone asked Tesla about this for the Model S (or the Roadster for that matter)?

Head Moderator / Administrator doug's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don't think Tesla has ever released a shop manual for the Roadster. Will be nice when the day comes that you can go buy a Haynes manual for a vehicle made by Tesla.

Quote Originally Posted by lolachampcar View Post
    I'm buying the service plan but would also like a shop manual and the necessary tools (scan tool/software) to service the car myself. Has anyone asked Tesla about this for the Model S (or the Roadster for that matter)?
    I don't know of anyone who has been able to get a hold of service manual or test tools. Since Tesla doesn't have independent dealers there many not even be a "service manual" like we're used to seeing for other cars. It could literally be a haphazard bunch of PDFs and/or bits of paper combined w/ tribal lore of how to care for the cars. However MA recently passed a low that will require them to release this kind of info so we'll see.
    Twilight Blue Roadster 2.5 - #1098 / Grey Model S Performance - #1459

Model S VIN P01536 Robert.Boston's Avatar
    It's not completely obvious that Tesla will be affected by the new MA Right-to-Repair law. IANAL, but here's a key provision:

62 ... a manufacturer of motor vehicles sold in the commonwealth shall make available for
    63 purchase by owners of motor vehicles manufactured by such manufacturer and by independent
    64 repair facilities the same diagnostic and repair information, including repair technical updates,
    65 that such manufacturer makes available to its dealers through the manufacturer’s internet-based
    66 diagnostic and repair information system or other electronically accessible manufacturer’s repair
    67 information system. All content in any such manufacturer’s repair information system shall be
    68 made available to owners and to independent repair facilities in the same form and manner and to
    69 the same extent as is made available to dealers utilizing such diagnostic and repair information
    70 system. Each manufacturer shall provide access to such manufacturer’s diagnostic and repair
    71 information system for purchase by owners and independent repair facilities on a daily, monthly
    72 and yearly subscription basis and upon fair and reasonable terms.
    [emphasis added]

The relevant definitions are:
    5 “Dealer”, any person or business who, in the ordinary course of its business, is engaged in the
    6 business of selling or leasing new motor vehicles to consumers or other end users pursuant to a
    7 franchise agreement and who has obtained a class 1 license pursuant to the provisions of section
    8 58 and 59 of chapter 140 and is engaged in the diagnosis, service, maintenance or repair of motor
    9 vehicles or motor vehicle engines pursuant to said franchise agreement.
    10 “Franchise agreement”, an oral or written arrangement for a definite or indefinite period in which
    11 a manufacturer or distributor grants to a motor vehicle dealer a license to use a trade name,
    12 service mark or related characteristic and in which there is a community of interest in the
    13 marketing of new motor vehicles or services related thereto at wholesale, retail, leasing or
    14 otherwise.
    Tesla is relying heavily in MA on the fact that it has no franchise dealerships. Assuming it prevails on that point, then Tesla is making no repair information or diagnostic tools available to any dealer, and therefore arguably does not need to make that information public to anyone else.

Franchise protection is needed to keep manufactures from abusing thier franchisees. The requirement that service documentation is provided for thier product is designed to protect the owner by giving him/her more options.

Once I take delivery, I own the car, not Tesla. If I need to service the car at some point in the future for whatever reason, I would like to be able to do so. I'll give this thread a bit more time then get a hold of Tesla directly.

Someone, please, reverse engineer my ModelS for me!! Just give me a copy of your notes. Thank you very much.
    --

Someone please reverse my Ferrari 458 for me!! Just give me a copy of your notes. Thank you very much.
    Really?

Do you really believe the only reason someone would want documenation on manditory practices required to keep a warranty intact is to reverse engineer something? Is every other manufacturer on the planet stupid for providing shop manuals for thier cars?

Design something, document it's service then come back and explain why the two are the same. Hint, they are not.

Quote Originally Posted by doug View Post
    I don't think Tesla has ever released a shop manual for the Roadster. Will be nice when the day comes that you can go buy a Haynes manual for a vehicle made by Tesla.
    The guys in the shop seem to have their faces buried in their laptops. Not sure if there even is a paper version.

Thread Information