Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Manual and Test Tools (electronic)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lolachampcar

Nov 26, 2012
WPB Florida
I'm buying the service plan.

That being said, I would also like to purchase a shop manual and the required test tools. Has anyone considered this and had any feedback from Tesla on the subject? How did this work out for previous (or current) Roadster owners?

Shop Manual and Tools(electronic)

I'm buying the service plan but would also like a shop manual and the necessary tools (scan tool/software) to service the car myself. Has anyone asked Tesla about this for the Model S (or the Roadster for that matter)?

I'm buying the service plan but would also like a shop manual and the necessary tools (scan tool/software) to service the car myself. Has anyone asked Tesla about this for the Model S (or the Roadster for that matter)?
I don't know of anyone who has been able to get a hold of service manual or test tools. Since Tesla doesn't have independent dealers there many not even be a "service manual" like we're used to seeing for other cars. It could literally be a haphazard bunch of PDFs and/or bits of paper combined w/ tribal lore of how to care for the cars. However MA recently passed a low that will require them to release this kind of info so we'll see.

It's not completely obvious that Tesla will be affected by the new MA Right-to-Repair law. IANAL, but here's a key provision:

62 ... a manufacturer of motor vehicles sold in the commonwealth shall make available for
63 purchase by owners of motor vehicles manufactured by such manufacturer and by independent
64 repair facilities the same diagnostic and repair information, including repair technical updates,
65 that such manufacturer makes available to its dealers through the manufacturer’s internet-based
66 diagnostic and repair information system or other electronically accessible manufacturer’s repair
67 information system. All content in any such manufacturer’s repair information system shall be
68 made available to owners and to independent repair facilities in the same form and manner and to
69 the same extent as is made available to dealers utilizing such diagnostic and repair information
70 system. Each manufacturer shall provide access to such manufacturer’s diagnostic and repair
71 information system for purchase by owners and independent repair facilities on a daily, monthly
72 and yearly subscription basis and upon fair and reasonable terms.
[emphasis added]

The relevant definitions are:
5 “Dealer”, any person or business who, in the ordinary course of its business, is engaged in the
6 business of selling or leasing new motor vehicles to consumers or other end users pursuant to a
7 franchise agreement and who has obtained a class 1 license pursuant to the provisions of section
8 58 and 59 of chapter 140 and is engaged in the diagnosis, service, maintenance or repair of motor
9 vehicles or motor vehicle engines pursuant to said franchise agreement.
10 “Franchise agreement”, an oral or written arrangement for a definite or indefinite period in which
11 a manufacturer or distributor grants to a motor vehicle dealer a license to use a trade name,
12 service mark or related characteristic and in which there is a community of interest in the
13 marketing of new motor vehicles or services related thereto at wholesale, retail, leasing or
14 otherwise.
Tesla is relying heavily in MA on the fact that it has no franchise dealerships. Assuming it prevails on that point, then Tesla is making no repair information or diagnostic tools available to any dealer, and therefore arguably does not need to make that information public to anyone else.

Franchise protection is needed to keep manufactures from abusing thier franchisees. The requirement that service documentation is provided for thier product is designed to protect the owner by giving him/her more options.

Once I take delivery, I own the car, not Tesla. If I need to service the car at some point in the future for whatever reason, I would like to be able to do so. I'll give this thread a bit more time then get a hold of Tesla directly.

Someone please reverse my Ferrari 458 for me!! Just give me a copy of your notes. Thank you very much.
Really?

Do you really believe the only reason someone would want documenation on manditory practices required to keep a warranty intact is to reverse engineer something? Is every other manufacturer on the planet stupid for providing shop manuals for thier cars?

Design something, document it's service then come back and explain why the two are the same. Hint, they are not.

Due to all of the high voltage, high current connections on the Model S drivetrain...I wonder how this would work? Anyone fiddling with the drivetrain is at high risk for shock unless they know what they're doing and they're careful. Anyone shocked has a high chance of death. Do you think this would affect Tesla's willingness to publish manuals or authorize end-user work on the drivetrain?

Due to all of the high voltage, high current connections on the Model S drivetrain...I wonder how this would work? Anyone fiddling with the drivetrain is at high risk for shock unless they know what they're doing and they're careful. Anyone shocked has a high chance of death. Do you think this would affect Tesla's willingness to publish manuals or authorize end-user work on the drivetrain?
The headline almost writes itself:
Some Fiskers were fried by Sandy, some Teslas fried their owners

The high voltage concerns are understandable to say the least.

The manuals being available in pdf would be consistant with most manufacturers these days. Virtually no one is printing stuff any more.

What the documentation will provide is all the procedures for doing normal maintenance. Sure, the battery will go back to Tesla for service no matter who pulls it from the car. The same can be said for the motor or speed controller. Those are big tasks and should seldom be required.

What is required are annual services and the like. Bleeding the air from the battery cooling system probably involves multiple bleed points with the coolant circulation pump running. Anyone know how to turn it on or where the bleed points are? Brake fluid should be swapped periodically to prevent moisure build up in the system. Some car's ABS components allow for suction or pressure bleeding while others require the use of a test tool to actuate some of the ABS solenoids. Those are but two of what I would guess would be a long list of very pedestrian maintenance functions that do not get anywhere near high voltage or opening battery packs or motors.

This really is just normal stuff. I'm surprised there is such a reverence within the Tesla community and that their have not been more calls for proper documentation. This is not rocket science; that's the other company. Hopefully this is one thing that will change (for the better) with the Model S being a production volume car.

This really is just normal stuff. I'm surprised there is such a reverence within the Tesla community and that their have not been more calls for proper documentation. This is not rocket science; that's the other company. Hopefully this is one thing that will change (for the better) with the Model S being a production volume car.
Read this thread - I know it's long but much of what you're asking about has been hashed out there including my own thoughts on the subject: Warranty/Servicing - official Tesla responses (incl GeorgeB))

People say the same thing about the Prius, yet owners are replacing traction battery packs and even rebuilding them. So far no injuries that I'm aware of, although a couple of owners have set fire to some individual NiMH cells when they had them out to charge. I agree that unless you are trained, or take some training, to work with high voltage you shouldn't be messing with it. I'm sure Tesla, like Toyota, has made the HV connections pretty obvious.

I'd suggest that many in this forum are competent enough to do so if they had the service manual and the desire to do so.

strider,
Thanks for the link. I've been in it before and had concerns about George's approach to the warranty void issue. I took those up in another thread.

My reason for this thread is to test the waters with regards to, let's call it, field service. This is the type of stuff the average Tesla service technician would do with supporting documentation and software tools from the factory. I would think it would include, but not be limited to, the following-

Purging cooling systems
Purging braking systems
Overall diagnostics (inrush current faults for amature winding degridation, cell set bypass for individual cell failures,,,) via a software interface be it a diagnostics function from the car's display or a dedicated CAN cable to the OBDii port and a PC (in case the 802.11 link is down).
Service limits for pads and rotors
Proper assembly/dissassembly procedures for everything from suspension to battery and motor R&R
Alignment values
and on and on and on

What it would not include would be things like-
How to overhaul the motor
How to overhaul the battery
How to overhaul the speed controller
and on and on and on

I seems like Tesla has chosen not to provide this documentation for the Roadster to its customers. I would guess this has occured becuase (1) the company was small and the project never made it to the top of the to do list and (2) volume was small enough that there was not sufficient momentum in the owner community to require it. Tesla wants to beat 740/750 delivery numbers in the US which takes them out of the too small catagory. My goal with this thread is to start the long term task of building customer consensus on the need for documentation.

In summary, my goals here are not to have Tesla publish proprietary documentation on factory overhaul items. I am also not questioning the wisdom of the service plan on top of the warranty nor the stated requirement that Tesla personal must perform the preventitive maintenance elements for the warranty to stay in effect. These and other warranty related issues are being well covered in different threads.

My goal is to gain access to reasonable service documentation and tools sufficient to allow owners to understand the service process and affect service if need be. There are no nafarious intentions nor do I feel this is an unreasonable request. All major automobile manufactures do this and thus I believe we can have the expectation that Tesla will as well.