Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TIP: Android (Galaxy S3) pairing, phone lock / timeouts, and the Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

FlasherZ

Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv
Jun 21, 2012
I did a brief search to look for common threads, but didn't find any with the search terms I was using -- my apologies if this is a duplicate. I was having problems with my Galaxy S3 paired to the Model S. When the phone was locked (due to timeout or manual lock), I could not place any calls (it would just silently fail and return to the media screen) nor could I connect to the phone for media choices.

This is a known problem with several devices that run Android, in that if you use a pattern or PIN lock on the phone, bluetooth devices cannot start calls or media, regardless of the "make calls even when device locked" setting in the "accessory settings for call" menu of the phone app.

In the main settings menu, under "security and lock screen", you must enable the "with swipe lock" option; this lock screen allows for bluetooth connections even when the phone is locked.

The downside is that before entering your PIN or your pattern to unlock the phone, you must do a swipe; the upside is that the Model S works flawlessly with the phone.

I wonder if that's problem is due to Samsung's UI tweaks to Android? I have a Google Galaxy Nexus, which is made by Samsung and very similar to the S3. But my wife (using an HTC Android device) and I have not seen that problem even though we both use pattern locks, nor do we have the "with swipe lock" option in the security settings.

It would be interesting to hear if somebody with a non-Samsung device hits the issue. (Though not really relevant to Tesla; thanks for posting the tip, Flasher).

I wonder if that's problem is due to Samsung's UI tweaks to Android? I have a Google Galaxy Nexus, which is made by Samsung and very similar to the S3. But my wife (using an HTC Android device) and I have not seen that problem even though we both use pattern locks, nor do we have the "with swipe lock" option in the security settings.

It would be interesting to hear if somebody with a non-Samsung device hits the issue. (Though not really relevant to Tesla; thanks for posting the tip, Flasher).

No issue with HTC OneX (PIN protected)

Could be Samsung's special hacks - from what I'm reading, it is a problem with some Droids, Samsungs, and some other brands here/there. In my particular case, I use a pattern lock.

Just to confirm, the easiest way to test this is to walk to the car with your locked phone -- don't unlock it. Get in the car, attempt to make a phone call. If it works, you're fine. If it doesn't, you likely suffer from this problem. Maybe it's just Android ICS pattern lock, I don't know...