Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin heat- Anybody figure out how to do this yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

v12 to 12v

Jul 10, 2012
I have to take my pet to the vet and I'd like to be able to leave in the car with the cabin heat on while I stop at the store on the way home.
He has been sick and I need to pick up some supplies for him.

Has anyone figured out how to leave the cabin heat on while the car is unoccupied? We had no trouble leaving the heat on while the car was occupied by a person.
He is a small elder dog and doesn't weigh enough for the seats to assume that there is a passenger in the car. I'm not even sure if that is the information that the car uses when determining whether to allow the cabin heat to be on or not.

Anybody figured this out?

Has anyone figured out how to leave the cabin heat on while the car is unoccupied? We had no trouble leaving the heat on while the car was occupied by a person.

Once the iPhone App comes out you'll be able to do that with pre-heat. Won't help you much today though. Because this is a one-time deal, I'd see if a bag of play sand or something similar would keep it on.

Have you tried calling Tesla and trying to find someone technical who knows this kind of stuff? It's such an uncommon question that I doubt the answer is out there lying around... but someone inside Tesla surely knows, and that might be the best (or almost the only) way to find out.

I hope they do a Tesla App since I don't have an iPhone. I was wondering if a bowling ball might work.

It would be interesting to know what criteria Tesla uses for Climate Control activation. I'm not finding it in the manuals.

- - - Updated - - -

Have you tried calling Tesla and trying to find someone technical who knows this kind of stuff? It's such an uncommon question that I doubt the answer is out there lying around... but someone inside Tesla surely knows, and that might be the best (or almost the only) way to find out.

I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

1. Stop by your favorite hardware store.
2. Buy some bricks.
3. Put bricks on seat.
4. Put dog bed on bricks.
5. Put dog in bed.
6. Look in dog's eyes and sternly say "stay!".
7. Close door.

I don't think it is an uncommon question!

I want to be able to leave my car w/ heat on while it is 'running' or not. Using seat pressure is a bad thing. what if I want to sit in the back seat of a warm car while I wait for someone?

+ I will NOT have a 'cell or smart' phone in any forseeable future!