Thread: Cabin heat- Anybody figure out how to do this yet?

Cabin heat- Anybody figure out how to do this yet?

I have to take my pet to the vet and I'd like to be able to leave in the car with the cabin heat on while I stop at the store on the way home.
    He has been sick and I need to pick up some supplies for him.

Has anyone figured out how to leave the cabin heat on while the car is unoccupied? We had no trouble leaving the heat on while the car was occupied by a person.
    He is a small elder dog and doesn't weigh enough for the seats to assume that there is a passenger in the car. I'm not even sure if that is the information that the car uses when determining whether to allow the cabin heat to be on or not.

Anybody figured this out?
    Signature 909

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by v12 to 12v View Post
    Has anyone figured out how to leave the cabin heat on while the car is unoccupied? We had no trouble leaving the heat on while the car was occupied by a person.
    Once the iPhone App comes out you'll be able to do that with pre-heat. Won't help you much today though. Because this is a one-time deal, I'd see if a bag of play sand or something similar would keep it on.
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

P85 #6649 "Magic Carpet"
    Have you tried calling Tesla and trying to find someone technical who knows this kind of stuff? It's such an uncommon question that I doubt the answer is out there lying around... but someone inside Tesla surely knows, and that might be the best (or almost the only) way to find out.

I hope they do a Tesla App since I don't have an iPhone. I was wondering if a bowling ball might work.

It would be interesting to know what criteria Tesla uses for Climate Control activation. I'm not finding it in the manuals.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo Paiz View Post
    Have you tried calling Tesla and trying to find someone technical who knows this kind of stuff? It's such an uncommon question that I doubt the answer is out there lying around... but someone inside Tesla surely knows, and that might be the best (or almost the only) way to find out.
    I'll give it a shot. Thanks.
    Signature 909

1. Stop by your favorite hardware store.
    2. Buy some bricks.
    3. Put bricks on seat.
    4. Put dog bed on bricks.
    5. Put dog in bed.
    6. Look in dog's eyes and sternly say "stay!".
    7. Close door.
    Truly Electric Spaceship-Like Adventure ~ Signature Model Spaceship

PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent. Especially the NYT, which is clearly ethically challenged.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo Paiz View Post

I don't think it is an uncommon question!

I want to be able to leave my car w/ heat on while it is 'running' or not. Using seat pressure is a bad thing. what if I want to sit in the back seat of a warm car while I wait for someone?

+ I will NOT have a 'cell or smart' phone in any forseeable future!
    - 'Joules' 12/1/12 - 28550mi @ 368Whr/mi Zextraterrestials S (tory)

Blog Entries
    Put the car in neutral. Then put the parking brake on via the touch screen. That's supposed to work. I haven't tried it yet.
    SOLD | Roadster 2.5 #1077 | Very Orange | Forged Wheels | Electronics Package
    Model S #SSL146 / VIN #246 | Signature Red | Black Interior with CF Accents | 21" Silver Wheels | Panoramic Sunroof | Performance
    http://fearlessbit.com/

Thread Information