Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Door Handles: My Tesla S gives me the cold shoulder when I leave it in the cold

Door Handles: My Tesla S gives me the cold shoulder when I leave it in the cold

I have noticed that when I leave my Tesla outside in the cold that I have trouble getting it to respond and extend its handles. This is with gloves, with cold hands and even it will not extend when I get the fob out trying again.

Suggestions or comments?

Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12
    I thought the door handles pop out when the car is unlocked?

Blog Entries
    No such bad luck here. I've been using 'em down in to the 30's (not sure how cold it is where you are) and they have worked just fine for us.

I did notice yesterday, when my wife was behind me and she had the fob, that she had to be pretty darn close to the car before it would let me get in.
    Roadster #690; Model S #112; Model X Reserved Plug In America How to plan a road trip - how long will it take?

I'm curious to see what happens when this car sits in the freezing ice after a snowstorm and the handles won't come out.

- - - Updated - - -

Winter Testing….

CDN P285
    Quote Originally Posted by bint2k View Post
    I'm curious to see what happens when this car sits in the freezing ice after a snowstorm and the handles won't come out.
    That is a significant concern for many on these boards... we just don't have an answer yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeeps17 View Post
    That is a significant concern for many on these boards... we just don't have an answer yet.
    This, wiper management, and battery performance. Although not last year, we've had stretches of below 0 weather in the Chicago area.

Sent via Tapatalk.
    MODEL S 85 | BLUE

I will keep everyone updated as it gets colder. I seldom pulled out the wipers on other cars but they often need to be cleaned when scraping the ice and snow.

Does anyone know how the handles sense? Is it the pressure, warmth, electric potential? Will I only be able to use capacitive gloves?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by William13 View Post
    Does anyone know how the handles sense? Is it the pressure, warmth, electric potential? Will I only be able to use capacitive gloves?
    Pressure.
    SOLD | Roadster 2.5 #1077 | Very Orange | Forged Wheels | Electronics Package
    Model S #SSL146 / VIN #246 | Signature Red | Black Interior with CF Accents | 21" Silver Wheels | Panoramic Sunroof | Performance
    http://fearlessbit.com/

Quote Originally Posted by William13 View Post
    I have noticed that when I leave my Tesla outside in the cold that I have trouble getting it to respond and extend its handles. This is with gloves, with cold hands and even it will not extend when I get the fob out trying again.
    Ummm... how much trouble? I assume you do something to eventually get the handles to extend??? I understand it is pressure that activates the handles, so maybe the little micro-switch gets stiff in the cold? Does "extra" pressure on the handle get it to work?

I eventually take the fob out of my pocket and try pressing on the handle again. If that doesn't work, I press twice on the roof of the fob. Repeat as needed until success. I may have a better rhythm now as I had less problem today.

Thread Information