Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My temp NEMA 6-50 install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Forgot to mention - $1200. ~17 person-hours (there were two people at times) plus materials. Getting the conduit up there, bent in the right directions, etc. was by far the most time-consuming part.

Couple of questions for you, just because I'm curious...

1. Why the junction boxes, and why so huge? Seems like you could have used an LB above the panel at the ceiling and avoided the second box altogether, along with the splices. Is there a local compliance reason, or were your cables short?
2. Any reason you used an LB out the side of the panel? You could just bend the conduit into an arc that meets the panel on the left and connects to a JB near the ceiling.

Couple of questions for you, just because I'm curious...

1. Why the junction boxes, and why so huge? Seems like you could have used an LB above the panel at the ceiling and avoided the second box altogether, along with the splices. Is there a local compliance reason, or were your cables short?
2. Any reason you used an LB out the side of the panel? You could just bend the conduit into an arc that meets the panel on the left and connects to a JB near the ceiling.

1) For the one in the electrical room -- it was to make it so I could swap my feed when the HPWC arrives. I'm temporarily on the house panel now. For the other one -- it was primarily because the cable was short (they re-used some leftover stock) and secondarily to aid in supporting a 4" drop from the ceiling to get around some natural gas lines
2) LB ... trying to figure out what that stands for. Anyway, I was wondering after-the-fact why they didn't bend conduit from the panel as it would have been WAY easier to get the #2 through there :)

Edit: Size of JBs were probably just what they had lying around. With the low-pliability of #2 and #3 I'm glad they're that big.

Please confirm that the 6 - 50 adapter is available

Yes, if you ordered the HPWC you should have been offered one for the temp install they recommend in the meantime.

- - - Updated - - -

2) LB ... trying to figure out what that stands for. Anyway, I was wondering after-the-fact why they didn't bend conduit from the panel as it would have been WAY easier to get the #2 through there :)
Edit: Size of JBs were probably just what they had lying around. With the low-pliability of #2 and #3 I'm glad they're that big.

Thanks!

LB is what they call those L-shaped, accessible boxes like you used coming out of the panel. L, because that's the shape of it. B stands for "back", which is where the conduit exit point is. There are LL's and LR's too. If you hold the box upright so the cover faces you and the first conduit exit faces down, the next letter refers to the exit, whether the back side, left side, or right side.

Please confirm that the 6 - 50 adapter is available

from my Samsung galaxy s3

Yes I'm plugged in with a 6-50. Could have wired a 14-50 but at ~$1/ft for #3, I saved some money (all of $45 compared to $1200 so not a big deal). I'm not sure if they could have fit 4 #3's in the 1.5" EMT (conduit) however (in order to install a 14-50 for now ... and then the neutral wire would go unused once the HPWC is installed).

Yes I'm plugged in with a 6-50. Could have wired a 14-50 but at ~$1/ft for #3, I saved some money (all of $45 compared to $1200 so not a big deal). I'm not sure if they could have fit 4 #3's in the 1.5" EMT (conduit) however (in order to install a 14-50 for now ... and then the neutral wire would go unused once the HPWC is installed).

You did the right thing, since you're going with HPWC and you have no future intentions to use that branch circuit for anything else.

Ben,

Just wanted to say "thanks" for all of the helpful information you keep on posting! I've learned so much from your videos and explanations of things. I feel like I'll know my Model S inside and out by the time I (hopefully) get it next Spring.

Mike

Here are some pics of my temporary NEMA 6-50 receptacle installation. We ran three #3 AWG conductors to support the 100 amp circuit when I get the HPWC. We also extended the conduit higher and mounted a small junction box to accommodate some additional slack.

DSC03814.jpg

DSC03811.jpg

If I had known you where having this done, I could have saved you some money with the electrician I use (which is mostly me, but I do have someone a well for permits and specialty tools/difficult jobs), unless you had to use union electricians or "house" electricians. Btw, #3 copper is good enough for the 80A continuous (100A) HPWC, "Stayonline" has it for .75 per foot, and only the the 2 hots need to be #3, the ground can be #6

Stayonline THHN: 600 Volt THHN

If I had known you where having this done, I could have saved you some money with the electrician I use (which is mostly me, but I do have someone a well for permits and specialty tools/difficult jobs), unless you had to use union electricians or "house" electricians. Btw, #3 copper is good enough for the 80A continuous (100A) HPWC, "Stayonline" has it for .75 per foot, and only the the 2 hots need to be #3, the ground can be #6

Stayonline THHN: 600 Volt THHN
Good catch - I actually lied about that one. The ground is only a #6.:redface:

Wow, your electrician torqued the hell out of that stainless cover! I'm a bit OCD, so that bothers me they warped it like that :)

Yikes - it would take another OCD guy like myself to notice something like that. You'll also notice that the bottom screw is not quite exactly vertical to match the top screw.:wink: The good news is that it is temporary and it will certainly not come loose. :smile:

Last edited: