Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My temp NEMA 6-50 install

S VIN S1049, X Resv S744
    Quote Originally Posted by cinergi View Post
    Yes I'm plugged in with a 6-50. Could have wired a 14-50 but at ~$1/ft for #3, I saved some money (all of $45 compared to $1200 so not a big deal). I'm not sure if they could have fit 4 #3's in the 1.5" EMT (conduit) however (in order to install a 14-50 for now ... and then the neutral wire would go unused once the HPWC is installed).
    You did the right thing, since you're going with HPWC and you have no future intentions to use that branch circuit for anything else.

Ben,

Just wanted to say "thanks" for all of the helpful information you keep on posting! I've learned so much from your videos and explanations of things. I feel like I'll know my Model S inside and out by the time I (hopefully) get it next Spring.

Mike

Here are some pics of my temporary NEMA 6-50 receptacle installation. We ran three #3 AWG conductors to support the 100 amp circuit when I get the HPWC. We also extended the conduit higher and mounted a small junction box to accommodate some additional slack.

Tesla Model S Signature Performance delivered on 10/31/12
    Signature Red | White Leather | Carbon Fiber | Panoramic Roof | 21" Grey Wheels| Rear Spoiler

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
    Here are some pics of my temporary NEMA 6-50 receptacle installation. We ran three #3 AWG conductors to support the 100 amp circuit when I get the HPWC. We also extended the conduit higher and mounted a small junction box to accommodate some additional slack.

Isn't that on the wrong side of the car?

Great observation Robert - I have garage limitations.
    Signature Red | White Leather | Carbon Fiber | Panoramic Roof | 21" Grey Wheels| Rear Spoiler

If I had known you where having this done, I could have saved you some money with the electrician I use (which is mostly me, but I do have someone a well for permits and specialty tools/difficult jobs), unless you had to use union electricians or "house" electricians. Btw, #3 copper is good enough for the 80A continuous (100A) HPWC, "Stayonline" has it for .75 per foot, and only the the 2 hots need to be #3, the ground can be #6

Stayonline THHN: 600 Volt THHN
    Model S Reservation: P10010 (July 2nd 2012), MVPA signed 12/4/2012, delivered 1/17/2013, VIN: 03245
    I support OpenEVSE: http://code.google.com/p/open-evse/

Quote Originally Posted by mitch672 View Post
    If I had known you where having this done, I could have saved you some money with the electrician I use (which is mostly me, but I do have someone a well for permits and specialty tools/difficult jobs), unless you had to use union electricians or "house" electricians. Btw, #3 copper is good enough for the 80A continuous (100A) HPWC, "Stayonline" has it for .75 per foot, and only the the 2 hots need to be #3, the ground can be #6

Stayonline THHN: 600 Volt THHN
    Good catch - I actually lied about that one. The ground is only a #6.

S VIN S1049, X Resv S744
    Wow, your electrician torqued the hell out of that stainless cover! I'm a bit OCD, so that bothers me they warped it like that

Banned
    Great observation Robert - I have garage limitations.
    So do I!

I just realized last night ... that the S is 2" longer than my garage with cabinets similar to the ones in your photo ... so ... "sorry, cabinets, you lose".

Glad rubbish pick up is Tuesday here!

Delivery Wednesday ... ok, wishful thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by FlasherZ View Post
    Wow, your electrician torqued the hell out of that stainless cover! I'm a bit OCD, so that bothers me they warped it like that
    Yikes - it would take another OCD guy like myself to notice something like that. You'll also notice that the bottom screw is not quite exactly vertical to match the top screw. The good news is that it is temporary and it will certainly not come loose.
    Last edited by dailydriver; 2012-12-11 at 04:51 AM.

Thread Information