Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My temp NEMA 6-50 install

Blog Entries

My temp NEMA 6-50 install

I won't embed here as the description & captions are @ Picasa: Picasa Web Albums - Ben Goodwin - Temp NEMA 6-5...
    SOLD | Roadster 2.5 #1077 | Very Orange | Forged Wheels | Electronics Package
    Model S #SSL146 / VIN #246 | Signature Red | Black Interior with CF Accents | 21" Silver Wheels | Panoramic Sunroof | Performance
    http://fearlessbit.com/

Clean!

Blog Entries
    Forgot to mention - $1200. ~17 person-hours (there were two people at times) plus materials. Getting the conduit up there, bent in the right directions, etc. was by far the most time-consuming part.
    Model S #SSL146 / VIN #246 | Signature Red | Black Interior with CF Accents | 21" Silver Wheels | Panoramic Sunroof | Performance

That is one snazzy garage, even without the additional wiring. WOW.

edit: snazzy as in a luxury of size
    Last edited by Babylonfive; 11-26-2012 at 01:06 PM. Reason: clarity
    www.Power12.com ----- Sweet Silver Sixty: 60KWH, Non-perf, Silver ext/Black int, Pano, Tech, 21" Silver wheels

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Babylonfive View Post
    That is one snazzy garage, even without the additional wiring. WOW.

edit: snazzy as in a luxury of size
    I wish it were just mine. There's 13 spots in there. Two of them are mine. (6-unit condo)

S VIN S1049, X Resv S744
    Couple of questions for you, just because I'm curious...

1. Why the junction boxes, and why so huge? Seems like you could have used an LB above the panel at the ceiling and avoided the second box altogether, along with the splices. Is there a local compliance reason, or were your cables short?
    2. Any reason you used an LB out the side of the panel? You could just bend the conduit into an arc that meets the panel on the left and connects to a JB near the ceiling.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FlasherZ View Post
    Couple of questions for you, just because I'm curious...

1. Why the junction boxes, and why so huge? Seems like you could have used an LB above the panel at the ceiling and avoided the second box altogether, along with the splices. Is there a local compliance reason, or were your cables short?
    2. Any reason you used an LB out the side of the panel? You could just bend the conduit into an arc that meets the panel on the left and connects to a JB near the ceiling.
    1) For the one in the electrical room -- it was to make it so I could swap my feed when the HPWC arrives. I'm temporarily on the house panel now. For the other one -- it was primarily because the cable was short (they re-used some leftover stock) and secondarily to aid in supporting a 4" drop from the ceiling to get around some natural gas lines
    2) LB ... trying to figure out what that stands for. Anyway, I was wondering after-the-fact why they didn't bend conduit from the panel as it would have been WAY easier to get the #2 through there

Edit: Size of JBs were probably just what they had lying around. With the low-pliability of #2 and #3 I'm glad they're that big.

Please confirm that the 6 - 50 adapter is available

from my Samsung galaxy s3

S VIN S1049, X Resv S744
    Quote Originally Posted by xhawk101 View Post
    Yes, if you ordered the HPWC you should have been offered one for the temp install they recommend in the meantime.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cinergi View Post
    2) LB ... trying to figure out what that stands for. Anyway, I was wondering after-the-fact why they didn't bend conduit from the panel as it would have been WAY easier to get the #2 through there
    Edit: Size of JBs were probably just what they had lying around. With the low-pliability of #2 and #3 I'm glad they're that big.
    Thanks!

LB is what they call those L-shaped, accessible boxes like you used coming out of the panel. L, because that's the shape of it. B stands for "back", which is where the conduit exit point is. There are LL's and LR's too. If you hold the box upright so the cover faces you and the first conduit exit faces down, the next letter refers to the exit, whether the back side, left side, or right side.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by xhawk101 View Post

from my Samsung galaxy s3
    Yes I'm plugged in with a 6-50. Could have wired a 14-50 but at ~$1/ft for #3, I saved some money (all of $45 compared to $1200 so not a big deal). I'm not sure if they could have fit 4 #3's in the 1.5" EMT (conduit) however (in order to install a 14-50 for now ... and then the neutral wire would go unused once the HPWC is installed).

Thread Information