Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Shifts to Park when Butt Lifted from Seat?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jomo25 View Post
    Did you unfasten your seatbelt?
    Yup..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by doug View Post
    You sure? The Roadster has some sort of parking pin in the transaxel, as well as a cable hand brake.
    He is right. If you look at the rear wheels on the Model S there are two sets of calipers per wheel. The smaller second set is electrically actuated, and that's the parking brake. There's no pawl in the Model S drive train.
    Roadster #919, Model S #2006. Blog The Rules of Model S Road Tripping
    Moderator: Tesla Motors , Electric Vehicles, Media, Roadster,
    Canada, EVents and Off Topic sub-forums.

Head Moderator / Administrator doug's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug_G View Post
    He is right. If you look at the rear wheels on the Model S there are two sets of calipers per wheel. The smaller second set is electrically actuated, and that's the parking brake. There's no pawl in the Model S drive train.
    I was aware of the electric parking brake, but that didn't give me any indication of the presence or absence of a parking pawl. There a reference somewhere?

At any rate, if the car makes a sudden stop, you certainly hope it's from friction on a disk and not from a pin in the transmission.

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    I was aware of the electric parking brake, but that didn't give me any indication of the presence or absence of a parking pawl. There a reference somewhere?

At any rate, if the car makes a sudden stop, you certainly hope it's from friction on a disk and not from a pin in the transmission.
    Often, cars with parking pawls have a break-away clutch that prevents drivetrain damage--even though the parking pawl isn't supposed to activate at speeds 10 km/h or higher. Does the Roadster have one of those? If it does, then we can rule out the Model S having a parking pawl.
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

This very problem was encountered in the carscom youtube "2012 Tesla Model S Charging" video.

I propose that Tesla wire in a second seat sensor in the backrest portion of the seat to avoid the issue that was experienced in the video that mknox saw. I think it will be a quick and safe method in eliminating this problem.
    Last edited by tdelta1000; 2012-12-17 at 05:57 AM.

Blog Entries
    According to what I was told at the Fremont event, they're using the electric parking brake instead of the pawl.
    Roadster #919, Model S #2006. Blog The Rules of Model S Road Tripping
    Moderator: Tesla Motors , Electric Vehicles, Media, Roadster,
    Canada, EVents and Off Topic sub-forums.

Head Moderator / Administrator doug's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Back on topic, it sounds like you have to latch the seatbelt if you want to ghost ride Oakland style. Or would that not work?

OK, so leaving the seatbelt on prevents it, and so should a backrest (or seat under-railing) weight sensor. Short of levitation, as suggested, your weight must be supported by some combo of foot on floor and hand pressing down.

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    Back on topic, it sounds like you have to latch the seatbelt if you want to ghost ride Oakland style. Or would that not work?
    Perhaps I've missed something, but why would you unbuckle your seatbelt to back up?
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

I always unbuckled to lift up off my seat while backing up (I'm short) to see objects behind me. I can't trust the backup camera and its useless when it rains!!
    http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...cKiIFn6tJyLYl1esla Model S P85, Signature #882 (Formerly BYT_P1,837)
    Also reserved another Model S, #17,213

Thread Information