Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Shifts to Park when Butt Lifted from Seat?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ckessel View Post
    That's purely being argumentative for the sake of being contrary.
    I wasn't actually disagreeing with anything you said in that quote. I stated that a certain action sounded potentially dangerous to me; I'm entitled to a POV just as you are but not everyone who disagrees is being argumentative.

In any case, I'd be pretty certain that Model S won't stop if you adjust your driving position at speed. So far, the car seems to be clever enough. I'll test it shortly and if I don't report back this afternoon you'll know it slammed me into the steering wheel.
    Last edited by NigelM; 2012-11-26 at 08:52 AM.

Blog Entries
    A related experience: When I was test-driving the green Performance car out of the Bellevue, WA store a few weeks ago, I accidentally touched the shift stalk while driving slowly and inadvertently shifted the car into neutral. I went to accelerate up a hill, and lost drive, racing the motor, not realizing what I had done. The Tesla co-pilot politely pointed out my error, and no harm done. But I was shocked how easy it was to do that. I was habitually reaching for the wiper control (it is on the right-hand side in all other cars I have driven recently).

Anyone else had this happen?

Once again, there is little reason to allow shifting into N in a moving EV. I think they need to disable that stalk completely at speed. The Roadster has this safety, complaining "Unsafe Gear Change" if you do it accidentally.

The car was running the most current firmware at the time, BTW.
    "Constraints are gifts to creative people."

Roadster 2.0 #905 | Model S Signature Performance #2001

PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

useful for hypermiling? (ie. no regen so you can coast farther)

Quote Originally Posted by Vger View Post
    A related experience: When I was test-driving the green Performance car out of the Bellevue, WA store a few weeks ago, I accidentally touched the shift stalk while driving slowly and inadvertently shifted the car into neutral. I went to accelerate up a hill, and lost drive, racing the motor, not realizing what I had done. The Tesla co-pilot politely pointed out my error, and no harm done. But I was shocked how easy it was to do that. I was habitually reaching for the wiper control (it is on the right-hand side in all other cars I have driven recently).

Once again, there is little reason to allow shifting into N in a moving EV. I think they need to disable that stalk completely at speed. The Roadster has this safety, complaining "Unsafe Gear Change" if you do it accidentally.

2013 Tesla Model S P85: 12.417 @ 111.570 MPH

Performance 85kWh, custom 19" Forgestar c5fv wheels, white/black/CF, pano,sound,tech,twin chargers!

Blog Entries
    True, but still too easy to do inadvertently. If it is allowed at speed, I would make it so you need to double-click or something.
    "Constraints are gifts to creative people."

Roadster 2.0 #905 | Model S Signature Performance #2001

PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

Model S EU#P1088 (P85)
    A related experience: When I was test-driving the green Performance car out of the Bellevue, WA store a few weeks ago, I accidentally touched the shift stalk while driving slowly and inadvertently shifted the car into neutral. I went to accelerate up a hill, and lost drive, racing the motor, not realizing what I had done.
    You can't race the motor in neutral, it is always connected to the wheels. No clutch of any kind exist to disengage it.

Head Moderator / Administrator doug's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jkirkebo View Post
    You can't race the motor in neutral, it is always connected to the wheels. No clutch of any kind exist to disengage it.
    This is what I was going to point out. Basically nothing should happen.

Blog Entries
    As for lifting off the seat - shifting from D to P is disallowed above a certain speed. Normally you would also need to have your foot on the brake. I'm sure there's a limit of a few mph above which this wouldn't happen.
    Roadster #919, Model S #2006. Blog The Rules of Model S Road Tripping
    Moderator: Tesla Motors , Electric Vehicles, Media, Roadster,
    Canada, EVents and Off Topic sub-forums.

Blog Entries
    OK, I survived: Model S does NOT shift itself into park if you lift your butt off the seat when you're reversing and it doesn't do that if you lift your butt off the seat at 60mph either (I tested it on a private road). I also lifted myself completely using the armrests to make sure the sensor wasn't in the back of the seat. If you are operating the foot controls the car will not shift gears automatically.

Just for fun: On my flat driveway I put the car in "D" and exited the car upon which it turned itself off. Same thing if you leave the key in the car, leave it in "D" or "R" and exit the driver seat. This car is smart!

That should be the end of this thread.

Head Moderator / Administrator doug's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think the car automatically going into park is a good safety feature. Just maybe need to adjust the parameters that allow that to happen. Vehicle speed, perhaps an open door as well as butt off the seat.

I didn't think it possible to race the motor as my understanding is the motor is always "in gear", can you elaborate the sensation you got that made you believe the motor was racing? Thanks.

Thread Information