Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fisker Karma spied doing "durability testing"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

doug

Administrator / Head Moderator
Administrator
Autocar - Spied: Fisker Karma
Spy Shots: Fisker Karma caught testing in California - AutoblogGreen

9588123136.jpg

Not sure what they think they're accomplishing with the camouflage. Not like people are going to miss that grill. Then again, maybe it's an intentional publicity ploy.

So you've actually seen a Whitestar ? :) If they are sourcing the engine from VW and this isn't the complete hybrid drivetrain, why do they do durability testing? They're afraid the VW engine doesn't work? Either they've got the drivetrain finished and is testing it, or this is just a pure PR show??

Cobos

Cobos,

I think you hit the nail on the head when you asked:

" or this is just a pure PR show??"

Henrik Fisker is a showman, and he knows how to get the press worked into a lather.

I don't have any solid evidence of this, but that would be my guess at this point.

Last edited:
Loved the camo graphics.

A tech at the Tesla debut said they did nothing special to hide the Roadster in development. They were driving it around town without fear.

Perhaps Martin could elaborate on this with an excerpt from his book.

Loved the camo graphics.

A tech at the Tesla debut said they did nothing special to hide the Roadster in development. They were driving it around town without fear.

Perhaps Martin could elaborate on this with an excerpt from his book.

Did I miss that? Martin is writing a book?

Regarding the Fisker, we don't know didly squat about it... It could have been powered by an ICE for all we know. I have a feeling with the pending lawsuit that they'll keep things close to the vest.

It sounds vaguely Roadster-ish, with that acceleration whiny-whoosh. Is it really electric, now, already?

Sounds like it to me, but no way to tell if it is just a normal electric setup or if it's already the hybrid drivetrain. Unless of course it's the "engine sound" speakers in the Fisker that's fooling us; but that seems unlikely b/c if there is an ICE under there, you should be able to hear it under acceleration.

So the pics and footage is "leaked". This is just silly. Or is it?

I can see the PR dept. wanting some press on the car and painting up the Karma and driving it around a track for days. Meanwhile they are looking out for a car spy in the weeds with a long lens shooting snaps.

After enough time they even called the car magazines to "tip" them about the testing of the car. In frustration they take their own pictures and "leak" them out. All that work for nothing.

I mean seriously, why would you do the camo paint job on a car that you have already shown and then realease your own pictures of it?

So the pics and footage is "leaked". This is just silly. Or is it?

I can see the PR dept. wanting some press on the car and painting up the Karma and driving it around a track for days. Meanwhile they are looking out for a car spy in the weeds with a long lens shooting snaps.

After enough time they even called the car magazines to "tip" them about the testing of the car. In frustration they take their own pictures and "leak" them out. All that work for nothing.

I mean seriously, why would you do the camo paint job on a car that you have already shown and then realease your own pictures of it?

You're not one of those people that can find a conspiracy theory looking in the mirror, are you? :wink: It is a good question though with the camo. I agree, sort of a waste of paint, unless there are ultiple mules out there.

You're not one of those people that can find a conspiracy theory looking in the mirror, are you? :wink: It is a good question though with the camo. I agree, sort of a waste of paint, unless there are ultiple mules out there.
The camo is not paint. It's just vinyl that sticks to the body. It's easily removable. Also I don't think there's any big conspiracy. They put on the camouflage to give their photos that spy shots look and to try to generate "buzz."

Did you'all catch the reduced range to 50 miles all-electric? It's not a big deal, but it is noteworthy.

5 prototypes is much further along than I expected also. Could this project be a little further along than Whitestar?

More funding please...

I think that it is important to remember that at this point Fisker Coachbuild has only managed to rustle up about $25 million in funding. It would seem to me that the best way to increase that figure would be to try and generate some buzz. I know that they claim to have mysterious backers in Europe and Dubai, and that their next round of financing is "oversubscribed", but anyone who judges a man (or a company) by what he says, and not by what he does, is bound to be deceived.

All the best,

Chris H.

By now the camo look is accepted industry practice to show prototypes, and generate buzz.

When will we start reading headlines about the Silicon Valley electric sedan wars? Or are we, with the exception that its not 0 to 60 times, but has a working prototype.