Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comparison with ICE vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am having a hard time putting the numbers together when comparing the Roadster to other vehicles. I was using the new General Motors 7.0liter LS7 engine found in the new Corvette Z06. Here are the specs:

LS7 - 505hp (373kW) @ 6200rpm, 475lb-ft (644Nm) @ 4800rpm, 3130lbs, 0-60 in ~4sec, 180mph top speed.
Tesla - 248hp (185kW) @ 8000rpm, 190lb-ft (258Nm) @ 2500rpm, ~2500lbs, 0-60 in 3.9sec, 130mph top speed.

So the Roadster has 49% of the horsepower and 40% of the torque, only weighs 600lbs less, yet can still outperform the Vette. I guess that is because the Roadster has the max torque available right off the line, while the Vette has to build up the torque. I'd like to see what their 1/4 mile numbers are like.

Bob Bressler did have this so say in the recent TeslaMotors blog entry: "More interesting, I think, is how it compares with the Callaway Corvette I used to drive. The Tesla’s acceleration feels just as fast but at the same time the Tesla feels light and nimble where the Callaway felt heavy and awkward."

Anyone have any thoughts on comparing the performance of ICEs and AC motors? I've also been thinking about this in a marine environment, i.e. AC motor-powered boats.

I personally have never driven an electric vehicle so it would be hard to say.
I still have some thoughts on the difference.
Obviously there is constant torque, for the most part, so you feel similar
power all the time rather then a build up of power i would guess.
There is a small build up i believe however nothing like a couple turbos
kicking in. Due to the lack of many gears, the tesla will be an exttremly
easy car on the track because the driver will not have to worry about
keeping the car in the right rev range. This will make the car faster
but possibly less of a challenge. The other issue is the sound it will make.
I hope its loud enough to hear, or has its own sound like they say because
the idea of just hearing the wind is new to me and I'm not too sure about
how nice that will be but maybe i will like it.
In terms of performance I think electric motors are more efficient and have
better capabilities, its where the energy comes from thats the problem unlike
ice's. I'm not sure how the tesla will compare to the elise. I hope they put
bigger tires on in to handle the extra power and weight but they havn't seem
to of done that. They should also put bigger breaks. Anyone know if they've
done this to the car?

the thing that concerns me is that the tires will not be able to handle the massive amounts of torque involved and will tend to break loose, so your just spinning your tires off the line or in a hard corner. I know the tesla has tracktion control of some kind that can be turned on and off (you can see the TC button in some of the cabin shots). But if the tracktion control is kicking in your robbing your self of that available power. I guess the answer is fat sticky tires on the back if your at the track or the drag strip.

iisjsmith said:
I am having a hard time putting the numbers together when comparing the Roadster to other vehicles.  I was using the new General Motors 7.0liter LS7 engine found in the new Corvette Z06.  Here are the specs:

LS7 - 505hp (373kW) @ 6200rpm, 475lb-ft (644Nm) @ 4800rpm, 3130lbs, 0-60 in ~4sec, 180mph top speed.
Tesla - 248hp (185kW) @ 8000rpm, 190lb-ft (258Nm) @ 2500rpm, ~2500lbs, 0-60 in 3.9sec, 130mph top speed.

So the Roadster has 49% of the horsepower and 40% of the torque, only weighs 600lbs less, yet can still outperform the Vette.  I guess that is because the Roadster has the max torque available right off the line, while the Vette has to build up the torque.  I'd like to see what their 1/4 mile numbers are like.

Bob Bressler did have this so say in the recent TeslaMotors blog entry:  "More interesting, I think, is how it compares with the Callaway Corvette I used to drive. The Tesla’s acceleration feels just as fast but at the same time the Tesla feels light and nimble where the Callaway felt heavy and awkward."

Anyone have any thoughts on comparing the performance of ICEs and AC motors?  I've also been thinking about this in a marine environment, i.e. AC motor-powered boats.

Well, that's because the tesla most certantly does NOT outperform the z06.

the z06 is capable of under 3 sec 0-60 and high 10's in the 1/4 mile given enough traction.
the tesla wil llikely run 13's, high 12's at best.

and don't forget that many will get much higher than that because they aren't race car drivers, I know we all like to think we are profesional drivers, but the great thing is that the Tesla will make you feel like even more of a hero.

Not a regular Z06

Car & Driver got 3.7 seconds for the Z06. The guy in the youtube video may have been using nitrious or something. The Bugatti Veryron has 1001 horsepower and runs 2.9 seconds, and cost $1,5000,000 and is ugly too. I think the W16 engine is interesting though.

The Horsepower Wars

I think the race for power has gotten completely ridiculous.

When I was in school and shopping for a car, I looked at the popular "pony cars" of the day, the Mustang and the Firebird. Both of them came with a V6 or an optional V8. The top-of-the-line V8, in both cases, cranked out about 200-220 horsepower. In other words, it was about what the V6 Mustang puts out today. Today's V8-powered Mustang does a solid 300 HP, and that's before getting into the customized or limited versions.

My 1997 Esprit was made in the first year that Lotus offered the twin-turbo V8 engine with 350 HP. It was considered hot stuff at the time, and it moved the Esprit into true "supercar" status -- but not for long. Now it's ten years later and the idea of a supercar with only 350 HP just doesn't sound right. Not when a Lambo Gallardo is packing 510 HP, Ferrari F430 has 490 HP, Corvette has 430 HP, Dodge Viper has 510 HP. . .

And yet, the Esprit is still a very, very fast car. When Top Gear tested it, it scored one of the best times ever on their track. It begs the question of exactly what the Horsepower Wars have brought to us. As far as I can see, the only answer is "bragging rights". You aren't really getting a better car, just bigger numbers.

The Veryron is the ultimate example of conspicuous excess: money, horsepower, acceleration, top speed. Its purpose in life is to demonstrate "way too much" of everything.

Ponder this video of a Lotus Elise chasing a Veyron around a track:

Last edited by a moderator:
The skill of the driver has so much to do with track times, so I don't read a lot into that Elise vs Veyron video. But, I do see your point.

Tire technology has improved a lot since the 1960/70s. Those muscle cars back then wouldn't likely have been able to put the power to the road so effectively if they had 500+ HP.