Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apostrophe thread redirect loops?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I am having an issue where opening a thread which has an apostrophe in the title (and thus URL) causes a redirect loop and won't open the page. This commonly happens in the owners stories threads, "poor man's model S" and "digitaltim's delivery story" for example.

I'm using Chrome on OS X (latest version), the same issue happens in Firefox and Safari. It however doesn't happen on my iPhone when using the same internet connection my Mac uses.

In the URL bar the apostrophes appear as question marks:

Screen%20Shot%202012-11-24%20at%2009.27.05.png

Any advice? Thanks in advance :)

Charlie -

e2a: also I have tried all the cookie business that Chrome suggests, and have googled the topic a bit also. I found one person discussing problems on their board that they were running with the same exact issue, but no solution except to change the way the board displays thread URLs (i.e. getting rid of the "pretty" part of the thread URL and just having numbers).

But obviously these threads are being read by most people so I guess my computer is causing the problem :p

Last edited:
Strange, I'm running Safari 6.0.2, which is part of my Mac OS X 10.8.2 install and I haven't seen that issue at all.

For me, the link on the forum index points to .../11278-Poor-Man’s-Model-S, which either the web server (or Safari) rewrites as .../11278-Poor-Man%92s-Model-S. It flashes the URL with the apostrophe in it in the URL bar and then automatically goes to the one with the escaped character in it.

ah, interesting. If I go and copy %92 in place of the "question mark" it works... I guess I'll just have to remember "%92" haha... now the problem with digitaltim's thread, the three full stops at the end. From a google I see that a full stop is %2E (?) so, if I copy and paste that three times, chrome 'corrects' it back to full stops and then I get the redirect loop again... joyful! haha

It's a strange little quirk... I have had this happen in the past but then suddenly they would stop redirecting and it would just work. Anyway, thanks for your thoughts! :)

Charlie -

ah, interesting. If I go and copy %92 in place of the "question mark" it works... I guess I'll just have to remember "%92" haha... now the problem with digitaltim's thread, the three full stops at the end. From a google I see that a full stop is %2E (?) so, if I copy and paste that three times, chrome 'corrects' it back to full stops and then I get the redirect loop again... joyful! haha

It's a strange little quirk... I have had this happen in the past but then suddenly they would stop redirecting and it would just work. Anyway, thanks for your thoughts! :)

Charlie -

Quick comment - we call it a 'period' in the US, so some might not have known what you meant when you said 'full stop'... <- and that (three periods) is called an 'ellipsis'

ha, I was contemplating writing 'periods' but then.. I dunno, my British-ness got the better of me. (Still, since this is a mostly US forum, probably should have gone for it). Thanks for the note about the ellipsis, I was also trying to recall the name of that but decided to give up :D