Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First Road Trip - Houston to Austin and back

Quote Originally Posted by jerry33 View Post
    A 14-50 is an RV plug with four pins. A dryer typically only has three pins--unless that's changed since I last purchased a dryer.
    FlasherZ is the expert here but I believe all new outlet installs need to be 14-30 or 14-50 - I don't think they want you to do 10-30's anymore. In my experience when purchasing a dryer the dryer doesn't come with a cord. You tell the salesman what cord you want (10-30, 14-30, or 14-50) and off you go. Some places include the cord in the price, others make you buy it. Then it's up to you to install the cord or if you're having the dryer installed that person will do it for you.
    Twilight Blue Roadster 2.5 - #1098 / Grey Model S Performance - #1459

@stephenpace - Nicely done and well written. Thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

A 14-50 is an RV plug with four pins. A dryer typically only has three pins--unless that's changed since I last purchased a dryer.
    It has.

EU P1474
    Looking at the last screenshot showing actual distance and projected miles the total range was only 220miles as compared to the first day showing aprox 244miles.

How would you characterize your driving-style these two days? And was a/c on, lights etc?

Asking because I feel like many roadtrip stories here show range well below the epa and tesla numbers...

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by strider View Post
    FlasherZ is the expert here but I believe all new outlet installs need to be 14-30 or 14-50 - I don't think they want you to do 10-30's anymore. In my experience when purchasing a dryer the dryer doesn't come with a cord. You tell the salesman what cord you want (10-30, 14-30, or 14-50) and off you go. Some places include the cord in the price, others make you buy it. Then it's up to you to install the cord or if you're having the dryer installed that person will do it for you.
    No doubt you're correct. I thought dryers were 30 amp. My current setup is a washer/dryer combo that only uses 110V and doesn't use hot air to dry, so it's been a long time since I have had any experience with dryer wiring--and it's not like my house was new when I purchased it. The current 220V dryer circuit is turned off at the breaker as it's not used.
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

Quote Originally Posted by darthy001 View Post
    How would you characterize your driving-style these two days? And was a/c on, lights etc?
    There were certainly differences, but it hard to compare these things without a control. First, I drove over during the day, so no headlights other than DTRL. The day was beautiful, so I actually turned off the AC towards the end. There is a minor elevation difference between Houston and Austin--approximately 450 feet uphill to Austin and lots of hills in Austin once you get there. Navigation directed me to a different route (I-10 to 77 instead of I-10 to 71) and 77 has a lower speed limit. But the two big things were an overall lower speed due to holiday traffic and my driving more tentatively due to never having driven to range before. I returned at night, and since I knew I had range to spare, with no traffic I was pretty much going 80 the entire time with acceleration beyond that for passing. I was not even close to hypermiling. Much higher average speed is where the miles went. EPA 265 does not take into account 80mph and 90mph passing.

EU P1474
    Ok thanks for the detailed reply!

Quote Originally Posted by stephenpace View Post
    There were certainly differences, but it hard to compare these things without a control. First, I drove over during the day, so no headlights other than DTRL. The day was beautiful, so I actually turned off the AC towards the end. There is a minor elevation difference between Houston and Austin--approximately 450 feet uphill to Austin and lots of hills in Austin once you get there. Navigation directed me to a different route (I-10 to 77 instead of I-10 to 71) and 77 has a lower speed limit. But the two big things were an overall lower speed due to holiday traffic and my driving more tentatively due to never having driven to range before. I returned at night, and since I knew I had range to spare, with no traffic I was pretty much going 80 the entire time with acceleration beyond that for passing. I was not even close to hypermiling. Much higher average speed is where the miles went. EPA 265 does not take into account 80mph and 90mph passing.
    Makes you wonder: could multiple S's draft one another, trading off over time, and save more drag for the group than it costs for the lead car? Clearly a wreck at that point would be heartbreakingly disastrous!
    [/B][/URL] Sweet Silver Sixty: 60KWH, Silver ext/Black int, Pano, Tech, 21" Silver wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Babylonfive View Post
    Makes you wonder: could multiple S's draft one another, trading off over time, and save more drag for the group than it costs for the lead car? Clearly a wreck at that point would be heartbreakingly disastrous!
    If it works for geese ....

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Babylonfive View Post
    Makes you wonder: could multiple S's draft one another, trading off over time, and save more drag for the group than it costs for the lead car?
    That's why the lead car drops back every 15 minutes. Actually, the last time I drove to San Antonio, the traffic was such that I had a wind corridor most of the way. And you don't need to be that close to the car in front to get a decent amount of aerodynamic relief.
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

That's why the lead car drops back every 15 minutes. Actually, the last time I drove to San Antonio, the traffic was such that I had a wind corridor most of the way. And you don't need to be that close to the car in front to get a decent amount of aerodynamic relief.
    So, does that that mean you think multiple S's could draft each other and 'win' (meaning an aggregate lower overall Wh/mile for the group), Jerry?
    [/B][/URL] Sweet Silver Sixty: 60KWH, Silver ext/Black int, Pano, Tech, 21" Silver wheels

Thread Information