Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headlights - Contantly getting flashed by other cars thinking I'm using high beam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ibcs

Jan 31, 2010
Ohio
Just a general question. I've had my Model S for 3 weeks. Every time I drive at night I get flashed by other drivers to turn off my high beam. I'm wondering if it's an adjustment on my car or if other owners are experiencing the same issue.

Please let me know your experiences.

Just a general question. I've had my Model S for 3 weeks. Every time I drive at night I get flashed by other drivers to turn off my high beam. I'm wondering if it's an adjustment on my car or if other owners are experiencing the same issue.

It should be pretty easy to tell if the beams are too high. When you're behind another car, if your lights shine inside their car they are too high. If they shine about half-way between the top of their trunk and the bumper they are about right.

You should really get this checked. Xenons are powerful, and if there`s something wrong with the angle they can be a real pain to people you meet on the road! Several people flashing would indicate that there`s something wrong. How about letting someone borrow your car so you can see for yourself?

Flashing them back is not a good idea; if your lights are shining in someone's face the last thing you want to do is blind them completely when they're driving towards you at speed!

To the original question: I haven't had this issue at all. It would be helpful if someone could measure the approximate height of the lights shining on a wall from a distance of say 30', then you could do a quick comparison. If no-one else gets to it, I'll try to do a measurement tonight.

Anyone know how to adjust the headlights? They are extremely high compared to my other vehicles, but my local service center is 300+ miles away until March. I'll contact Roadside Assistance if nobody knows the answer.

Thank you for all your input.

I've never seen that as well. Is there any way the car is stuck in high even though it's telling you it isn't? For example, are you able to turn on your high beams and tell they are turning on or does the light pattern not change? I'd imagine that would be fairly obvious so it's likely misalignment like other people have said.

If you're handy I'm sure there are adjustment screws in the light assembly. Don't have my car yet to investigate though.

Assuming there are adjustment screws, which I'd expect, then any reliable mechanic or shop can likely make the proper adjustment. However, I would still ask Tesla first if they have advise or will send a ranger to fix it. Don't want void any warranties.

Maybe other cars are just saluting you after recognizing the intense glow of awesome that surrounds every Tesla.

As to the technicals, Xenon's are very bright and can easily be mistaken for highbeams. If you are concerned you can get a Ranger to check it out and re-adjust it the next time you have the car looked at.

...?? shouldn't the xenon headlights not auto adjusted , since the car high can vary due to the air suspension ?

Yes, but there are two settings: One for the height adjustment because of the suspension and the other for aiming the headlights. The air suspension keeps the body level so that's the adjustment for the suspension height. When the standard suspension comes out Tesla will have to add another mechanism to adjust the lights as the car's level changes due to loads.

- - - Updated - - -

As to the technicals, Xenon's are very bright and can easily be mistaken for highbeams.

Properly adjusted HID lights shouldn't glare any more than halogens. However, there are many improperly adjusted HID lights and the aftermarket add-on HID bulbs are always misadjusted because the reflector is wrong for HID bulbs.

The Tesla rangers can adjust or you can adjust the low beams verticle projection. I had mine adjusted while watching. I know how to adjust but will likely not change them myself in the future.

The proceedure:

1 open frunk.
2 note there are four large black plastic pieces of trim. The ones on the sides covering the wheels are covering the adjustment screws. ( Phillips head ). The adjustment screws are very near the rubber bumpers on either side. You will need to unsnap these rubber bumpers then unsnap the plastic trim.
3 with headlights turned on and visible, use Phillips driver to turn silver adjustment screw until lights move down incrementally. A little translates into a lot. Think Archimedes.
4 replace trim and rubber bumpers.

I would not do this myself even after watching it being done. I am concerned that I will break clips and have a rattle being unable to resecure the plastic. Years ago I replaced a car window motor and have sworn off similar endeavors.

The ranger said I was his first headlight adjustment. I had a similar issue as the OP. I hate to have people's lights pointed in my eyes. Thus I had this adjusted.