Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" Turbine Wheel Solution

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery on Tuesday evening. It is a Performance Sig equipped with 21" tires. I live in the Northeast and needed a 19" option for winter tires, but I want to maintain the look of the 21" wheels. I think I have come up with a pretty good solution that I wanted to share with the group.

Below are pictures of 19" Rial Lugano wheels I acquired through Tunershop.com. The wheels are 19" Rial Lugano 5x120ET32 and cost $1388 for a set of 4. Shipping is free. I had them shipped to the local Tesla service center, which installed TPMS and mounted the Pirelli winter tires. Note that Tesla cannot deliver your car with anything but OEM parts, so I am going to have a local tire shop mount them, probably this weekend.

If we can find someone to supply a Tesla center cap, they will be virtually indistinguishable from the factory wheels.
I think they are a really good match, let me know what you think.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/90351977@N03/8209913086/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/90351977@N03/8208825399/in/photostream

I will post more pictures after they are on the car.

Last edited:
Very, very nice! I intend to do the same, order summer tires, swap the tires on such wheels, and use the Tesla 19 for winter.

I will be on the lookout for these. Thx for posting.

Did you consider 18" , or you just didn't want to risk it?

@agileone, I didn't look into 18" wheels. I believe the Luganos are available in 18" through tunershop, but I would be worried about break clearance. Last time I checked, Tirerack.com didn't list any 18" options.

I took delivery of VIN 660 Tuesday evening. It is a Performance Sig equipped with 21" tires. I live in the Northeast and needed a 19" option for winter tires, but I want to maintain the look of the 21" wheels. I think I have come up with a pretty good solution that I wanted to share with the group.

Below are pictures of 19" Rial Lugano wheels I acquired through Tunershop.com. The wheels are 19" Rial Lugano 5x120ET32 and cost $1388 for a set of 4. Shipping is free. I had them shipped to the local Tesla service center, which installed TPMS and mounted the Pirelli winter tires. Note that Tesla cannot deliver your car with anything but OEM parts, so I am going to have a local tire shop mount them, probably this weekend.

If we can find someone to supply a Tesla center cap, they will be virtually indistinguishable from the factory wheels.

How did you know the exact size to buy? If this sounds uniformed, sorry. Does this change the speedometer etc? What tires did you go with?

My story, I took possession with factory 21 inch. I brought in non stock Nokians ( no studs) and paid Tesla service for 19 inch rims, TPMS , and Tesla caps. They mounted, balanced and installed the tires. They reset the TPMS.

They could do much of this work for you. You do need to "take possession" first.

Is it true that you need the Tesla to reset the TPMS sensors every single time the rims are placed on the car? My parents just had 19" winter wheels placed on (bought from Tesla) and were told when then put the 21" wheels back on in the summer that Tesla would have to come back out to reprogram the rims. Not sure why they didn't make the auto-learn tires that had already been paired to the car.

Last edited:
I took delivery of VIN 660 Tuesday evening. It is a Performance Sig equipped with 21" tires. I live in the Northeast and needed a 19" option for winter tires, but I want to maintain the look of the 21" wheels. I think I have come up with a pretty good solution that I wanted to share with the group.

This is the solution many of us, including me, have been waiting for. The Luganos match the stock 21" wheels well. Better yet there are many all season and winter performance tire choices for this size wheel. I will order a set of the Lugano rims around the time my Model S is delivered this spring. Thanks for the photos.

Is it true that you need the Tesla to reset the TPMS sensors every single time the rims are placed on the car? My parent just had 19" winter wheels placed on (bought from Tesla) and were told when then put the 21" wheels back on in the summer that Tesla would have to come back out to reprogram the rims. Not sure why they didn't make the auto-learn tires that had already been paired to the car.
Yes. Tesla will sell you the tool to reset them. Right now they just list the Roadster one but I assume a Model S one will be forthcoming: Roadster Tire Pressure Monitoring System Tesla Motors

Why do you need an extra set of Tesla caps? The ones on my Mercedes just pop out and pop back in to the spare wheel for example, which does not have it's own cap. A tap from behind with a screwdriver head and they are out. replacing involves pushing back in with the hand.

I like these a lot more than the Tesla 19" wheels. Now if only I could get them in grey or black... :)

I like these a lot more than the Tesla 19" wheels. Now if only I could get them in grey or black... :)

The are available in black, front polished.

RIAL_Lugano_t_p235968.jpg

Is it true that you need the Tesla to reset the TPMS sensors every single time the rims are placed on the car? My parent just had 19" winter wheels placed on (bought from Tesla) and were told when then put the 21" wheels back on in the summer that Tesla would have to come back out to reprogram the rims. Not sure why they didn't make the auto-learn tires that had already been paired to the car.
I will be able to answer that definitively over the weekend, after I have the 19" wheels put on. Tesla installed TPMS when they originally mounted the tires, but they may well need to reset it. I will keep you posted.

- - - Updated - - -

How did you know the exact size to buy? If this sounds uniformed, sorry. Does this change the speedometer etc? What tires did you go with?

I went with the winter Pirelli's tires offered by Tesla. Since everything is the same size, there should be no effect on the speedometer. All of the dimensions have been determined through a lot of hard work from folks on this forum, who have either spoken directly with Tirerack.com or Tesla service.

Keep in mind that not every 19" 5x120 wheel is created equal. It is possible to get a wheel of that dimension that is not appropriate for this application either because it does not have a sufficient load rating or brake caliper clearance.

Keep in mind that not every 19" 5x120 wheel is created equal. It is possible to get a wheel of that dimension that is not appropriate for this application either because it does not have a sufficient load rating or brake caliper clearance.

Not to mention offset and centre bore. You really want an exact fit, not an approximate fit. Maybe if you getting wheels for a Yugo an approximate fit would be good enough.

The are available in black, front polished.

View attachment 11843

Getting close, need an unpolished option.

$550 to be able to reset the TPMS yourself? Yikes. Hopefully they add this to the touchscreen with a future software update so the Model S can be like every other car with TPMS I've ever had - simple button press or UI option to reset yourself.

Totally agree. Having a separate tool makes no sense when everything else can be accessed through the touchscreen. I'm not taking my car into Tesla service just to reset the TPMS (especially when there's no service center within 300 miles...yet).

There would be some wiggle room on things like offset, but changing the offset will require redoing the wheel alignment. So it's not that practical for a winter tire set.