Page 3 of 66 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: 19" Turbine Wheel Solution

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug_G View Post
    There would be some wiggle room on things like offset, but changing the offset will require redoing the wheel alignment. So it's not that practical for a winter tire set.
    Changing the offset also changes the wheel bearing loading so it's far from the first choice.
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

If I am not mistaken, these wheels are not the same offset as the OEM wheels. Anyone have any concerns about this? I do. I thought that the Tesla OEM wheels were a 40 mm offset. I looked these wheels up and they do not have a 40 mm offset option. hmmmmm.

It looks very nice! and the silver rims are made for salty roads.
    @ jerry33, I think the Rials 32mm offset, will not harm the wheel bearing loading. But the handling of the car can/will be another concern if you are a skilled driver.

Items for Sale
    I spent a few hours last night doing extensive research about the impact of changes in wheel offset. The offset of the Lugano wheels is +32mm. Stock is +40mm. That means the center line of the wheels is pushed out 8mm. That widens the stance of the car about .6 overall, .3 inches on each side. Every source I checked indicated that this kind of change was too small to be concerned about.

In any case, wheel offset does not affect camber and caster, so the alignment does not have to be changed. Scrub radius is affected, but, again, the change is minor and not of concern. If anything, the handling will be improved slightly by the wider stance. The minor change in scrub radius may impact the longevity of the tires, but again not by much. There may be some unpredictable impact on the wheel bearings but given the small change probably not an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by artsci View Post
    I spent a few hours last night doing extensive research about the impact of changes in wheel offset. The offset of the Lugano wheels is +32mm. Stock is +40mm. That means the center line of the wheels is pushed out 8mm. That widens the stance of the car about .6 overall, .3 inches on each side. Every source I checked indicated that this kind of change was too small to be concerned about.

In any case, wheel offset does not affect camber and caster, so the alignment does not have to be changed. Scrub radius is affected, but, again, the change is minor and not of concern. If anything, the handling will be improved slightly by the wider stance. The minor league change in scrub radius may impact the longevity of the tires, but again not by much. There may be some unpredictable impact on the wheel bearings but given the small change probably not an issue.
    @artsci- That is consistent with what I found before making this purchase. It is worth noting that if you look on Tirerack.com, you will see that the company currently offers thirty-four 19" wheels for Model S. The site doesn't list the offsets for every one of those wheels, but those that are listed range from 28mm to 40mm. Only three of the wheels have an offset of 40mm. Seven have an offset of 32mm. I don't think this is a big issue, but I will be able to offer some real-world observations soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Sofie S. View Post
    It looks very nice! and the silver rims are made for salty roads.
    @ jerry33, I think the Rials 32mm offset, will not harm the wheel bearing loading. But the handling of the car can/will be another concern if you are a skilled driver.
    Rule of thumb is that 1" (24.4 mm) difference in wheel offset is like adding 1000 lb. (450 kg) to the axle. Note that that's both sides so 1/2" (12.3 mm) per wheel.
    Last edited by jerry33; 2012-11-27 at 03:51 PM.
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry33 View Post
    Rule of thumb is that 1" (24.5 mm) difference in wheel offset is like adding 1000 lb. (450 kg) to the axle. Note that that's both sides so 1/2" (12.3 mm) per wheel.

Forgive my ignorance, but is this the same if the offset is less or also more than OEM? Is the impact similar with a 36 mm offset and a 44 mm offset if OEM is 40 mm? Is one worse than the other? Is more so bad it cant be done and thus no offerings from Tire Rack? I know very little about this.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Ceilidh View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but is this the same if the offset is less or also more than OEM?
    Usually the different offset pushes the tire out (more) rather than brings it in (less) and that's what the rule of thumb covers. Less often causes the tires to rub on the inner fenders or suspension parts so it's not done nearly as often. More can cause rubbing on the outer fenders but that's typically taken care of by "field engineering"--not that I would ever do that to a Tesla.

The choices offered by Tirerack.com probably have more to do with what sells rather than engineering principles.

A 4 mm difference isn't likely to affect bearing life (except perhaps in track usage--but you're going to have more wear in track usage anyway)

Items for Sale
    Very nice. I like the slightly curved blades, and the color looks more like a metallic silver than a painted one (as on the 21" wheels).

Thread Information