Page 1 of 68 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: 19" Turbine Wheel Solution

19" Turbine Wheel Solution

I took delivery on Tuesday evening. It is a Performance Sig equipped with 21" tires. I live in the Northeast and needed a 19" option for winter tires, but I want to maintain the look of the 21" wheels. I think I have come up with a pretty good solution that I wanted to share with the group.

Below are pictures of 19" Rial Lugano wheels I acquired through Tunershop.com. The wheels are 19" Rial Lugano 5x120ET32 and cost $1388 for a set of 4. Shipping is free. I had them shipped to the local Tesla service center, which installed TPMS and mounted the Pirelli winter tires. Note that Tesla cannot deliver your car with anything but OEM parts, so I am going to have a local tire shop mount them, probably this weekend.

If we can find someone to supply a Tesla center cap, they will be virtually indistinguishable from the factory wheels.
    I think they are a really good match, let me know what you think.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9035197...in/photostream

I will post more pictures after they are on the car.
    Last edited by NJS1207; 2014-05-23 at 01:16 PM.

CDN P#40
    Very, very nice! I intend to do the same, order summer tires, swap the tires on such wheels, and use the Tesla 19 for winter.

I will be on the lookout for these. Thx for posting.

Did you consider 18" , or you just didn't want to risk it?

Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar
    Great find. Those look really nice. The Tesla cap would be a great touch.
    Moderator - Model S, Mountain/Southwest, Texas, Northwest, Off Topic forums
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

Quote Originally Posted by agileone View Post
    Very, very nice! I intend to do the same, order summer tires, swap the tires on such wheels, and use the Tesla 19 for winter.

I will be on the lookout for these. Thx for posting.

Did you consider 18" , or you just didn't want to risk it?
    @agileone, I didn't look into 18" wheels. I believe the Luganos are available in 18" through tunershop, but I would be worried about break clearance. Last time I checked, Tirerack.com didn't list any 18" options.

Quote Originally Posted by NJS1207 View Post
    I took delivery of VIN 660 Tuesday evening. It is a Performance Sig equipped with 21" tires. I live in the Northeast and needed a 19" option for winter tires, but I want to maintain the look of the 21" wheels. I think I have come up with a pretty good solution that I wanted to share with the group.

Below are pictures of 19" Rial Lugano wheels I acquired through Tunershop.com. The wheels are 19" Rial Lugano 5x120ET32 and cost $1388 for a set of 4. Shipping is free. I had them shipped to the local Tesla service center, which installed TPMS and mounted the Pirelli winter tires. Note that Tesla cannot deliver your car with anything but OEM parts, so I am going to have a local tire shop mount them, probably this weekend.

If we can find someone to supply a Tesla center cap, they will be virtually indistinguishable from the factory wheels.

How did you know the exact size to buy? If this sounds uniformed, sorry. Does this change the speedometer etc? What tires did you go with?
    Model S Signature Vin 1034

My story, I took possession with factory 21 inch. I brought in non stock Nokians ( no studs) and paid Tesla service for 19 inch rims, TPMS , and Tesla caps. They mounted, balanced and installed the tires. They reset the TPMS.

They could do much of this work for you. You do need to "take possession" first.

Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar
    Is it true that you need the Tesla to reset the TPMS sensors every single time the rims are placed on the car? My parents just had 19" winter wheels placed on (bought from Tesla) and were told when then put the 21" wheels back on in the summer that Tesla would have to come back out to reprogram the rims. Not sure why they didn't make the auto-learn tires that had already been paired to the car.
    Last edited by dsm363; 2012-11-25 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Typo
    Moderator - Model S, Mountain/Southwest, Texas, Northwest, Off Topic forums
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

Blog Entries
    Those look fantastic, maybe in a year, after some recovery from the financial hit of buying the car, I'll be in the market for some of those rims.
    Evan E. Fusco, MD--Nixa, MO
    Model S R77/VIN-1267-- Black 85kWh (non-perf), Tech, Lacewood trim, tan interior, Sound Studio, Air Suspension, 19" rims, twin chargers, HPWC
    Model X Reservation Sequence # 5966 (for the wife)

Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by NJS1207 View Post
    I took delivery of VIN 660 Tuesday evening. It is a Performance Sig equipped with 21" tires. I live in the Northeast and needed a 19" option for winter tires, but I want to maintain the look of the 21" wheels. I think I have come up with a pretty good solution that I wanted to share with the group.

This is the solution many of us, including me, have been waiting for. The Luganos match the stock 21" wheels well. Better yet there are many all season and winter performance tire choices for this size wheel. I will order a set of the Lugano rims around the time my Model S is delivered this spring. Thanks for the photos.

Quote Originally Posted by dsm363 View Post
    Is it true that you need the Tesla to reset the TPMS sensors every single time the rims are placed on the car? My parent just had 19" winter wheels placed on (bought from Tesla) and were told when then put the 21" wheels back on in the summer that Tesla would have to come back out to reprogram the rims. Not sure why they didn't make the auto-learn tires that had already been paired to the car.
    Yes. Tesla will sell you the tool to reset them. Right now they just list the Roadster one but I assume a Model S one will be forthcoming: Roadster Tire Pressure Monitoring System Tesla Motors
    Twilight Blue Roadster 2.5 - #1098 / Grey Model S Performance - #1459

Thread Information