Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Outdoor 240V Charging Outlet (photos attached)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I needed to add an outdoor charging point for my Model S. The NEMA 14-50 socket is connected to the mains via conduit which enters from the bottom of the waterproof box. The Tesla charging cable exits through a slot cut in the the plastic. The slot (and box) is large enough for me to stow the working end ("nozzle?") in the closed box when I am off for a jaunt and plan on reconnecting when I return.

Outdoor Charging-1S.jpg
Outdoor Charging-2S.jpg

I like it. You may want to consider a stress-relief hook mounted on the back to support the loop on the cord, as the UMC's cord expects to be hanging down from a vertical receptacle.

Neat, although nobody round here would get away with that. (220 outlets have to be 4' above grade here)

The proximity of the water tap to a non-GFCI protected outlet is potentially an issue (despite the fact that the UMC is GFCI-protected), the fact the outlet faces up is potentially an issue. I'd have to ask if THWN wire was used (it's required here because of wet location). There are a few other things that might result in it not passing inspection as well.

The proximity of the water tap to a non-GFCI protected outlet is potentially an issue (despite the fact that the UMC is GFCI-protected), the fact the outlet faces up is potentially an issue. I'd have to ask if THWN wire was used (it's required here because of wet location). There are a few other things that might result in it not passing inspection as well.

It was installed by a licensed and experienced electrician. These are all good observations. Esthetic tradeoffs prevail...just ask my wife!

An interesting arrangement. Perhaps it would be better to have rotated the box 90 degrees counterclockwise, and attached the plug to the left side (so it's not facing up, but sideways)? That would also mean the UMC cord is only turning a 90 degree angle coming out the bottom.

An interesting arrangement. Perhaps it would be better to have rotated the box 90 degrees counterclockwise, and attached the plug to the left side (so it's not facing up, but sideways)? That would also mean the UMC cord is only turning a 90 degree angle coming out the bottom.

The suggested orientation was definitely a strong contender; but that requires two bends in the conduit. One plus with the chosen orientation is that the only openings to the waterproofing are on the bottom surface, since rain generally comes from above.....

The only part of your installation I would comment on is there are regulations for the outlet proximity to the water faucet. The concern is that there is a natural tendency to put your left hand on the water faucet when you are bending down to plug in the 14-50 plug. This provides a perfect ground for current to travel through your body. To be safe, make sure that you do not touch the water faucet while messing with the plug!