Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finger poised over the "Finalize" Button!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was a big day for us as well when we pressed "Finalize". Not sure what your situation is but this car is way more expensive than any other car we have ever had (it's replacing a Civic).

While we can afford this car, it will actually be cheaper to drive than the 2nd choice car (Honda Odyssey) after 125K and 8 years of ownership in Seattle (I think it's more like 5 years for breakeven). And what dad really wants to drive an Odyssey when you could drive a rocket ship with almost as much storage (with the seats up).

But the main reason for pressing "Finalize" is that we believed in this car greatness 2 years ago (when we first heard about it). Well, my wife was convinced when she drove it.

The safety ratings are key, the performance is a never ending 'grin' and our kids will be eternally grateful (I know they are going to love the jump seats) not to mention we can drive for free for life on road trips!

We are:

Blue/Tan/Pano/60kWh w/Super too!

P.S. We'll be driving down to LA in March for free! Couldn't do that in an Odyssey:tongue: and if you want more inspiration Elon Musk - The Future of Energy and Transport | Video | Oxford Martin School

Last edited:
I've gotten over the cost portion and talked myself up from a 40kWh battery (which would probably meet 99%) of my needs; it is the most expensive car I've ever purchased.

Just can't commit to blue vs dk green

What interior finish did you get? I'm thinking Obeche gloss

I understand. I keep second-guessing myself and doing out loud therapy on the forums.

In the end, though, I've settled happily on black-on-black with CF. For the finish I'm going for, CF beats the obeche pretty clearly, I think, and I'm not interested in piano black. I've flirted with waiting for red exterior, but after looking at a lot of pictures I realized that I don't like the sunset anywhere near as much as I do the signature red (and red & black is suboptimal for my job, anyway). My current car is black-on-black and every time I see it even after all this time I like the look. I've also gone for the silver tires because I don't think the grey tires work at all with Black and all that chrome.

My current obsessive second guessing is on the jump seats. I finalized with no, but... I dunno. I have an 8 year old and a 5 year old. Their booster seats really make a mess of my back seat and they're both excited at the prospect of facing backwards (which seems insane to me, but it's been a long time since I was 8 or 5).

I understand. I keep second-guessing myself and doing out loud therapy on the forums.

In the end, though, I've settled happily on black-on-black with CF. For the finish I'm going for, CF beats the obeche pretty clearly, I think, and I'm not interested in piano black. I've flirted with waiting for red exterior, but after looking at a lot of pictures I realized that I don't like the sunset anywhere near as much as I do the signature red (and red & black is suboptimal for my job, anyway). My current car is black-on-black and every time I see it even after all this time I like the look. I've also gone for the silver tires because I don't think the grey tires work at all with Black and all that chrome.

My current obsessive second guessing is on the jump seats. I finalized with no, but... I dunno. I have an 8 year old and a 5 year old. Their booster seats really make a mess of my back seat and they're both excited at the prospect of facing backwards (which seems insane to me, but it's been a long time since I was 8 or 5).

That will look slick, congrats. I think it looks good with the performance wheels as well but agree with all the chrome the silver wheels might match better.
It sounds like you'd get at least a two or three years out of the rear child seats but probably not much more. They can be added later but for more than what it would cost at the factory. Without the seats I think you gain a cool little cubby hole area below the floor of the trunk where the seats probably fold down into as extra storage.

...(and red & black is suboptimal for my job, anyway)

I'm intrigued! What job would a red car not be ideal for??

I've yet to start spec'ing mine, of course the email arrived in the middle of a road trip to visit family in the middle of nowhere (Nebraska), so I have to wait until the weekend to get back to civilization and a laptop. I'm 90% decided on most the options, just not sure on color (black, white or dolphin grey) and the sunroof. I've barely seen any of the greys, but have lately seen a lot of the white cars, and they do look good. Not bought a white car since the 80s, so it's a big decision!

I've gotten over the cost portion and talked myself up from a 40kWh battery (which would probably meet 99%) of my needs; it is the most expensive car I've ever purchased.

This will be my most expensive auto purchase as well, but it will also be my last, so I'm going for the very best, and I never want to buy or use gas again.

I debated the green and blue, but after seeing both in the flesh, blue won hands down. I went for the carbon fiber trim and never had any doubts about that. I don't like wood in a car interior. IMHO it's the faux Jaguar/Lexus luxury look and it's not been an appropriate material for a car in decades. I think it's especially inappropriate for a high tech electric car like the Model S. Wood trim in the Model S is like having a wood case for an iPhone. But that's just my opinion and I know others feel very differently.

Last edited:

I've yet to start spec'ing mine, of course the email arrived in the middle of a road trip to visit family in the middle of nowhere (Nebraska), so I have to wait until the weekend to get back to civilization and a laptop. I'm 90% decided on most the options, just not sure on color (black, white or dolphin grey) and the sunroof. I've barely seen any of the greys, but have lately seen a lot of the white cars, and they do look good. Not bought a white car since the 80s, so it's a big decision!

Ooooh! You'll be the first person that I'm aware of to go for the grey if you decide on it. I liked that color a lot when I saw it in person.

I'm a professor and in upper-ish administration at a university whose "rival" school's colors are red and black. I see alum and you'd be surprised how much something like that generates snide comments. Mind you, if I like the red enough it wouldn't stop me....

- - - Updated - - -

I'm 90% decided on most the options, just not sure on color (black, white or dolphin grey) and the sunroof. I've barely seen any of the greys, but have lately seen a lot of the white cars, and they do look good. Not bought a white car since the 80s, so it's a big decision!

I've seen a LOT of grey in the last two weeks, and I think it and red may be the only colors that work very well with the grey wheels. In the end, though, neither grey nor silver works for me. I dunno why. I was probably beaten up by a silver or grey something as a child and have never gotten over it. By constrast, black is sort of the color of executives who like fast cars and my preferred BMW color. I've never been into white cars, so among those three choices black is a winner by a mile. I do like the signature red, but that's not an option. I also like BMW's carbon black more then any color I've ever seen but that also isn't an option.

On the practical side, black stays at least as clean or even cleaner than white in the south, I think... though my car is garaged at home and at work, so....

Get the Blue/Tan/Pano Combo!!! A lot of people like Me, ArtSci and others are -- AMAZING combination!

Aaron

The blue vs. green debate was my last sticking point, too. I chose green, but blue is clearly more popular. If you haven't done so already, you should obsessively watch the various videos over here: Color Selection Videos - Please Add....

Re interior trim, since you're not getting the Performance option, CF isn't available. I chose the lacewood; the piano black is simply too glossy for me, and the obeche varieties are too old-school. While lacewood is wood, it's unique and a nice matte finish that won't throw glare into my eyes from the pano.

Get the Blue/Tan/Pano Combo!!! A lot of people like Me, ArtSci and others are -- AMAZING combination!

That's what I'm leaning toward. The car I test drove this week was this configuration and I thought it looked really slick.

I'll probably push the button before the weekend is over.

So how does this reservation thing work? Are the build dates based on send in my contract or does my reservation number actually equate somewhat to my place in line?

Example: say they are building car 5xxx today. Guy who has reservation 81xx, later than me, signed his contract last week. If I sign mine this week, does my reservation 8040 still get built before 81xx? Or does he get built before me because he was able to make a decision faster?