Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Windshield wiper issues (modes and settings)

Windshield wiper issues (modes and settings)

So there are 4 wiper modes, both as explained during my delivery process and according to page 18 of the owner's guide:

- 1: Auto with lo sensitivity
    - 2: Auto with hi sensitivity
    - 3: Continuous, slow.
    - 4: Continuous, fast.

Am I the only one that finds the only difference between 1+2 to be speed? They seem equally sensitive, it's just that the wipers move faster.

And speaking of sensitivity... I find the "auto" modes very frustrating. In a ridiculously-light spray, they actuate way too easily/often. They *ALWAYS* wipe once when the car turns on, if I left them on when I park, even if the windshield is bone dry. And then in reasonable light rain, it feels like they don't actuate frequently enough... I find myself having to manually trigger a wipe way too frequently in light rain, after the windshield fills with drops at low speed and they fail to wipe on their own.

Last but not least, I finally drove through some pouring rain this last weekend (San Jose area... anybody else?). Mode 4 was COMPLETELY inadequate for a heavy downpour. Nobody in the car could believe that I was on the top setting. There was too much pause when the wipers reached the bottom of their swipe.

What are other owners' thoughts/experience? Is this just me?

I've heard about it from others. This is definitely a problem for anyone who gets regular downpours or is subject to snow.

Sent via Tapatalk.
    MODEL S 85 | BLUE

Blog Entries
    Not just you. We've noticed the same stuff.

The only exception might be your last point; the wipers on FAST have always done a good enough job for us. Note that I haven't driven in really heavy rain yet; but our area got hit really hard yesterday while my wife was driving, and even though she mentioned one of your other problems with the wipers, she didn't mention any problem with the screen getting cleared.
    Roadster #690; Model S #112; Model X Reserved Plug In America How to plan a road trip - how long will it take?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelwm View Post
    So there are 4 wiper modes, both as explained during my delivery process and according to page 18 of the owner's guide:

- 1: Auto with lo sensitivity
    - 2: Auto with hi sensitivity
    - 3: Continuous, slow.
    - 4: Continuous, fast.

Am I the only one that finds the only difference between 1+2 to be speed? They seem equally sensitive, it's just that the wipers move faster.

And speaking of sensitivity... I find the "auto" modes very frustrating. In a ridiculously-light spray, they actuate way too easily/often. They *ALWAYS* wipe once when the car turns on, if I left them on when I park, even if the windshield is bone dry. And then in reasonable light rain, it feels like they don't actuate frequently enough... I find myself having to manually trigger a wipe way too frequently in light rain, after the windshield fills with drops at low speed and they fail to wipe on their own.

Last but not least, I finally drove through some pouring rain this last weekend (San Jose area... anybody else?). Mode 4 was COMPLETELY inadequate for a heavy downpour. Nobody in the car could believe that I was on the top setting. There was too much pause when the wipers reached the bottom of their swipe.

What are other owners' thoughts/experience? Is this just me?
    Before I respond, I'll note that I have applied Rain-X and use Rain-X wiper fluid. *HUGE* difference no matter the car. This stuff should be required for all cars.

The automatic mode is usually OK, but not always. I agree, the difference between lo/hi sensitivity is simply the wiper speed (as far as I can tell). I've had times where it didn't wipe when I wanted it to, and vice-versa. So I'll use manual modes for that. And those modes have been fine given that I have Rain-X. I can see how, without Rain-X, they'd be inadequate -- they're slow.

I do also experience the single-wipe on startup (which has gotten me and the interior of the car soaked once). I've asked ownership @ Tesla to send feedback to at LEAST make it so the wiper won't activate until you've hit the brake to turn the car on.

No matter the case, I strongly urge you to send this to the ownership team as feedback if you haven't already. Who knows what they'll do with it -- but they've heard from me, possibly others, and hopefully you. We can help them improve the car.
    SOLD | Roadster 2.5 #1077 | Very Orange | Forged Wheels | Electronics Package
    Model S #SSL146 / VIN #246 | Signature Red | Black Interior with CF Accents | 21" Silver Wheels | Panoramic Sunroof | Performance
    http://fearlessbit.com/

So the model S doesn't have a delay wiper setting, only the auto's, and ON?

Quote Originally Posted by cinergi View Post
    I agree, the difference between lo/hi sensitivity is simply the wiper speed (as far as I can tell).
    So it isn't a sensitivity adjustment then. It sounds like it is simply an automatic on/off with the difference being which speed the wipers operate at when "on". If so, that's a step down from how most auto wipers work. Mine, for instance, has a true sensitivity adjustment (at least 4 steps) and work almost like intermittent wipers in light rain/mist.

MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891 spatterso911's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ahimberg View Post
    So the model S doesn't have a delay wiper setting, only the auto's, and ON?
    Technically, the auto wipers are the delayed setting. Apparently, they are too sensitive to behave that way...
    http://www.teslacountdown.com/modelx...891?size=small

PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

Delivered: Model S - VIN 3498: Performance, Black/Black/CF; Grey 21" rims; Pano; Tech; Sound studio; Parcel Shelf; Paint armor; Twin Chargers; HPWC;

I'll keep my opinion brief:
    The current wiper behavior is high on my list of "thank the stars they can fix stuff with software updates."
    Truly Electric Spaceship-Like Adventure ~ Signature Model Spaceship

PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent. Especially the NYT, which is clearly ethically challenged.

After submitting my description/complaint to ownership@teslamotors.com, I was pleasantly surprised to get a call back from a service manager today. He insisted that I bring the car in sometime so they can spray water on it and verify that things are/aren't working properly. It's not a super-high-priority, but I do intend to swing by and do this at some point in the next week or two. I'll try to report back when I do.

The only downside to Rain X that I have found is that bugs that get on a Rain X coated windshield are more difficult to remove.
    SP-2823(sold), Tesla/Rav4EV, P+17252, XP-12

Thread Information