Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off peak charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As dumb as it sounds, if you want to get off peak pricing, the electric company here in S FLA actually puts you on a higher rate plan then discounts your off peak use. It's geared toward businesses ...

There isn't a lot of documentation about this, but based on my research I think it *can* be cheaper, depending on how much you use. Certainly the Model S won't cut it for meeting that threshold, but if you add in a pool heater and some other stuff, it is possible. But you also have to do a lot of planning to make it work, and one screw-up could be really expensive! I decided against it.

There isn't a lot of documentation about this, but based on my research I think it *can* be cheaper, depending on how much you use. Certainly the Model S won't cut it for meeting that threshold, but if you add in a pool heater and some other stuff, it is possible. But you also have to do a lot of planning to make it work, and one screw-up could be really expensive! I decided against it.

There is plenty of info on FPLs site and it is rather clear as you note that one would need to divert most of their energy use to off peak to make up for the difference in base charges. PM me if you want more info or just search "residential off peak" at FPL.com

There is plenty of info on FPLs site and it is rather clear as you note that one would need to divert most of their energy use to off peak to make up for the difference in base charges.
Yep, it's pretty amazing how utilities are not being more proactive on this front. My utility up in Maine offers tiered rates that seemed to be a no-brainer: as a summer place on the water, the only weekday daytime load is the refrigerator and the occasional running of the well. But it turns out that the base residential rate includes the first 100 kWh/month, and we use so little power in Maine that it didn't make sense...this year. Once we start charging the Model S, that will change.