Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Opting out of the Performance Edition

Quote Originally Posted by brianman View Post
    1. "Twin Chargers" is irrelevant for Supercharger.
    2. "Twin Chargers" comes into play for home 220 use and/or HPWC use.
    3. Some (all?) of us think it will naturally be more expensive to install the 2nd charger as an upgrade rather than as part of initial vehicle construction.
    About 50% of the public EVSEs in San Luis Obispo, CA are > 30 amps and would benefit from dual chargers!
    SP-2823(sold), Tesla/Rav4EV, P+17252, XP-12

Yes, unfortunately for those of us around here, California is light years ahead of New England! If I were in CA, I'd do the twin chargers.

I've driven both the standard and performance versions and I've no doubt most will be happy with the standard 85kw version. I'm old and retired now and my reason for going performance was very simple. I can't wait to spank the a$$ of my son-in-law's new Caddy CTS-V!! He's been trash talking me for a while but I notice lately that he's been studying the Perf test results more and he just went out and bought an air cone for his cts-v that is supposed to add 25hp. Bring it on Youngblood!!
    😏

P1117 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    PLEASE NOTE: These musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent.

Model S 85KW, VIN #2236
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    About 50% of the public EVSEs in San Luis Obispo, CA are > 30 amps and would benefit from dual chargers!
    Do you know what kind of chargers they are? I'm not aware of many or even any of those in the SF Bay Area. The ones I know of around here seem to be Coulomb or Blink Level 2 chargers which top out at 30 amps.

Quote Originally Posted by teslasguy View Post
    I've driven both the standard and performance versions and I've no doubt most will be happy with the standard 85kw version. I'm old and retired now and my reason for going performance was very simple. I can't wait to spank the a$$ of my son-in-law's new Caddy CTS-V!! He's been trash talking me for a while but I notice lately that he's been studying the Perf test results more and he just went out and bought an air cone for his cts-v that is supposed to add 25hp. Bring it on Youngblood!!
    ��

haha, love it!

P85 #6649 "Magic Carpet"
    Quote Originally Posted by rcc View Post
    Why dual chargers? Right now, there are very few if any places in the US where you can DC charge at > 10KW that's not a supercharger. And you can always add the second charger a few years from now if it looks like you want it.

Why not wait?
    The attractiveness of the dual-charger option depends on the car you get, I think. Though single/dual chargers will affect performance at high-amperage public chargers, you'll see the difference every day when you charge at home. Single charger restores about 30 miles of range per hour of charging, so you'd need roughly 5.3, 7.7, and 10.0 hours to fully charge 40, 60, and 85 kWh cars respectively if you brought it home close to empty. For a 40 or 60 kWh car, I'd stick to the single charger and save money (same reason to get the 40 kWh in the first place, plus it's quick enough for 95% of my needs). For the 85, I'd always get the dual chargers so I can get the most benefit from that extra capacity without undue penalty in charging times.

P445 / VIN 1794 ClearwaterBchSteve's Avatar

Ha Ha! Perfect reasoning to get the Performance. This will be the "sleeper of all sleepers" <= 4 secs to 60mph is FAST for a 2 door sports car let alone a luxury sedan. Even if the Caddy pulls away from you ever so slightly, keep in mind the large V8 is drinking a lot of gas and kicking out plenty of pollution into the air. I currently drive an Audi S4 which is quite fast and has one of the smoothest 7 speed dual-clutch transmissions available for an ICE. After driving a Model S Performance during the Test Drive and then driving the Audi again, it seemd like it was completely clunky and outdated technology. I was sold at that moment. I got home and finalized the order for the MSP.
    Metallic Silver P85 Reserved: 3/28/2009, Delivered: 12/21/2012 (1355 days) C.H.A.R.G.E.D.
    FLORIDA TESLA ENTHUSIASTS (Treasurer & Co-Founder)

Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo Paiz View Post
    The attractiveness of the dual-charger option depends on the car you get, I think. Though single/dual chargers will affect performance at high-amperage public chargers, you'll see the difference every day when you charge at home. Single charger restores about 30 miles of range per hour of charging, so you'd need roughly 5.3, 7.7, and 10.0 hours to fully charge 40, 60, and 85 kWh cars respectively if you brought it home close to empty. For a 40 or 60 kWh car, I'd stick to the single charger and save money (same reason to get the 40 kWh in the first place, plus it's quick enough for 95% of my needs). For the 85, I'd always get the dual chargers so I can get the most benefit from that extra capacity without undue penalty in charging times.
    Of course it depends on someone's habits. If I were to drive 250+ miles in a day there's no way I'd turn around and do another 250+ miles less than 10 hours later. Unless you drive for work (traveling salesman, house appraiser, etc) I don't see the need. But that's why there are options! If I need dual chargers in the future I can just pull the back seat and drop the other one in.
    Twilight Blue Roadster 2.5 - #1098 / Grey Model S Performance - #1459

P85 #6649 "Magic Carpet"
    I don't have any habits, that's why I want to make sure that I don't get stranded without the use of my car for more than a few hours. My Roadster only gets charged once a week on average, since I only drive about 250 miles a month and I take the best possible care of my battery by not charging when it's not necessary. That's why I prefer not to face a potential 9- or 10-hour wait... as you said, it depends.

I drive a CTS-V and would bet that your Performance S will beat him in the short run. I have yet to launch the V at close to its rated 0-60 time. I have the 6 Speed manual so perhaps if he is driving the automatic he might keep up with you even in the short race. Watch out when he pulls about 5,000 RPM in 4th all you will see is tail lights, he will be gone.

😏

Thread Information