Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Opting out of the Performance Edition

As much as I want the Performance, the 19" wheel/tire issue (maintenance, expense, practicality in the Northeast) really drove me to stick with the Standard 85. I have driven both, and they are both exhilarating. Plus one of my current cars, a 2000 Porsche Boxster (standard 217-HP), always gives me mad acceleration off the line, at each and every stoplight...and that is 0-60 in 5.7 seconds. If a standard is rated at 5.6 and in practice can do 5.0, I don't think I will be disappointed.
    Model X P6028 / Model S P4996 - 85kWh, Sequoia Green, Pano Roof, 19" Wheels, Tan Leather, Obeche Gloss, Tech, Sound, Air Susp, Jump Seats, Shelf, Xpel Wrap, Twin Chargers and HPWC - Delivered and loving it!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by doug View Post
    Assuming constant acceleration, the difference between 5.6 and 4.4 seconds is 0.49 versus 0.62 g's.
    this is why i love this forum.

I commend you, you are very far ahead of the depreciation curve than I will ever be, wish I had some of your ( IRRATIONAL TENDENCY) , which I find to be totally rational, good for you. I think you are very wise. Hoping this car will inject some of that behavior into me.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo Paiz View Post
    So I repeat: there is no need for a Performance version of this car.

But I'm getting it, and wouldn't have it any other way. Why? I want it, and I can afford it without making undue sacrifices.
    my feelings exactly.

there is no reason to get Performance. I am getting Performance.

it's an ego tax, for sure...

Sorry my last post was to Bosgig. R

P445 / VIN 1794 ClearwaterBchSteve's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kinddog View Post
    my feelings exactly.

Can't agree more
    Metallic Silver P85 Reserved: 3/28/2009, Delivered: 12/21/2012 (1355 days) C.H.A.R.G.E.D.
    FLORIDA TESLA ENTHUSIASTS (Treasurer & Co-Founder)

Quote Originally Posted by kinddog View Post
    my feelings exactly.

and it helps Tesla out a little too,

I like everyone's rationale here
    - 'Joules' 12/1/12 - classic grey & wood Zextraterrestials S (tory)

Model S 85KW, VIN #2236
    Quote Originally Posted by wstuff View Post
    Agree with all suppositions, I am really torn on performance. I'm pretty sure I'm going standard. I read the above threads and laughed how many cars I bought with the rationalization that I will keep the car 10 years or 15 years or this is the last car I will ever buy. Then 3 years down the road a new cheerleader hits the streets and I'm in love all over again. I'm pretty sure my next car will be Tesla as well, but who can predict, every time I sell my stock it goes higher , every time I buy it goes lower. I think my point is I'm going to be practical and configure my S as non perf, 85kw, Blue, Tan, piano, Pano, sound and Tech with dual chargers. I think the dual chargers may be the the best ( performance ) option in the future. I'm thinking as charging infrastructure evolves the next owner of my car may be looking at charge rate as opposed to 0 to 60 times. I can now see the salesman saying twin chargers, OH you can completely refuel this car in 17 min instead of waiting the whole 30 min. I envy all of you getting the PERFORMANCE, I'm OLD and have to be rational sometimes.
    Why dual chargers? Right now, there are very few if any places in the US where you can DC charge at > 10KW that's not a supercharger. And you can always add the second charger a few years from now if it looks like you want it.

Why not wait?

Quote Originally Posted by rcc View Post
    Why dual chargers? Right now, there are very few if any places in the US where you can DC charge at > 10KW that's not a supercharger. And you can always add the second charger a few years from now if it looks like you want it.
    Why not wait?
    1. "Twin Chargers" is irrelevant for Supercharger.
    2. "Twin Chargers" comes into play for home 220 use and/or HPWC use.
    3. Some (all?) of us think it will naturally be more expensive to install the 2nd charger as an upgrade rather than as part of initial vehicle construction.
    Truly Electric Spaceship-Like Adventure ~ Signature Model Spaceship

PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent. Especially the NYT, which is clearly ethically challenged.

Personally, I'm not doing the HPWC because I don't see ever needing that charging speed at home, and I haven't found a J1772 in the path of any of my conceivable road trips that operates at more than 30 Amps. So I'm likely to pass on the twin chargers. It may indeed be more expensive down the road, but I figure the odds of my ever needing the second charger are slim. Just my two cents based on my driving and the area in which I live.

Thread Information