Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: artsci's Model S modifications

Quote Originally Posted by ckessel View Post
    People often factor into their actions whether they can see you in the car and know where you're looking. Particularly pedestrians and bicyclists. As a pedestrian, I'm reticent to walk in front of a car even if they're at a stop sign unless I can see their eyes. And while it's safe to assume the huge majority of the time the driver knows what they're doing, I'm seeking to avoid that one time they aren't.
    True but in that case you'd be looking at them through the windshield which won't be tinted. I run 35% side and 90% rear on my Roadster. Would go slightly lighter on the rear if I had it to do over again but that car is so low I get blinded by headlights behind me.
    Twilight Blue Roadster 2.5 - #1098 / Grey Model S Performance - #1459

Quote Originally Posted by strider View Post
    True but in that case you'd be looking at them through the windshield which won't be tinted.
    Actually, the typical case is looking through their passenger window as they're typically pulled near or into the crosswalk. The main case being they're turning right on red and looking at traffic coming from the left and I'm on their right crossing on my green walk signal. Not infrequently they'll see an opening and not realize a pedestrian is coming from their other side.

With tinted windows, it's very hard for me to know if they've seen me or not.

Quote Originally Posted by ckessel View Post
    Actually, the typical case is looking through their passenger window as they're typically pulled near or into the crosswalk. The main case being they're turning right on red and looking at traffic coming from the left and I'm on their right crossing on my green walk signal. Not infrequently they'll see an opening and not realize a pedestrian is coming from their other side.

With tinted windows, it's very hard for me to know if they've seen me or not.

Don't know the _exact_ details of your lights and driving - but i do know, after a few trips to the states that you can go right on red if not said else on a sign.

But, here, when you enter a crossing, any pedestrians directly in front of your green light will always have a "red man". That means, if I'm on red, and the cars on my left is going straight ahead and I'm waiting for an opening to go right on red - there will never be a pedestrian on my right side, legally crossing the road. There might be one crossing "my road", but as pedestrian crossings normally is not directly lined up with the "crossing lane"/"end of road line", but often 15 feet further "in" - I will already have passed this pedestrian path, and it will not pose a threat.

@ sublimaze1: I still find myself chuckle over it aswell. Didn't really sense it would be humorous when I wrote it - but I see it now
    EU Model S P1418
    S85, White, 19", Tech, Pano, Air, Sound, Lightning package, Park Assist, Parcel Shelf. VIN: *15231
    Board Presiden, Tesla Owners Club Norway (tocn.no)

Quote Originally Posted by Laumb View Post
    Don't know the _exact_ details of your lights and driving - but i do know, after a few trips to the states that you can go right on red if not said else on a sign.
    Yep, happens a lot in downtown areas, but it looks something like the following. The driver has pulled into the crosswalk, typically trying to see to their left to see if it's clear to turn, and so the pedestrian is looking right through the passenger side window.

So, for on topic-ness, if you tint your windows it's safer for everyone if it's mild enough the outside can see in enough to make eye contact.
    Name:  redlightthumb_t320_240.jpg
Views: 1711
Size:  18.4 KB

Banned
    Have to figure a grille option, current grill cheapens the look if the car.

Quote Originally Posted by GDH View Post
    Have to figure a grille option, current grill cheapens the look if the car.
    Remove it!

They look sick without the plastic but It will change you aero a little
    I was noticing the cars in the final test area without the nosecone looked pretty cool!

You'll need to do a little something to 'trim' the edges and make it look intended + do something to the bumper bar in the middle ( black / chrome)
    - 'Joules' 12/1/12 - 28550mi @ 368Whr/mi Zextraterrestials S (tory)

Color code it to the car?

_____
    Tapatalkin' from iTalatut.
    EU Model S P1418
    S85, White, 19", Tech, Pano, Air, Sound, Lightning package, Park Assist, Parcel Shelf. VIN: *15231
    Board Presiden, Tesla Owners Club Norway (tocn.no)

I have being thinking about this for a little while. I think it would go over great at a car show.

Buy one of these:
    Name:  01.jpg
Views: 1356
Size:  17.4 KB

and put it on one of these:
    Name:  02.jpg
Views: 1397
Size:  9.9 KB

then wire up one of these:
    Name:  03.jpg
Views: 1364
Size:  34.4 KB

With a little bit of gearing and maybe a small controller or sensor on the frunk this would be great.

I will do this when I get my car. Probably will have some time in March. Hopefully will make it modular, and just find a plug for power, or making it with a built in battery.

I was at Publix today (greatest grocery store ever) where they will put you groceries in your car for you. I was asked if I wanted my cart brought out, I said no but thougt this would be a great gag. Put my dogs in the back. And then say "There should be room in the front right?" Then open it up to just a hamster on a wheel.

Think with dispassion; Speak with equanimity; Act in calm.
    Moderator - Southeast, Future Cars, TMC Connect
    Do not use this material outside of Tesla Motors Club without attribution and permission.

Quote Originally Posted by Laumb View Post
    ...i do know, after a few trips to the states that you can go right on red if not said else on a sign...
    This varies state by state. Allowed in California, but not in all other states.
    Moderator - Roadster, and Future Cars forums

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TEG View Post
    This varies state by state. Allowed in California, but not in all other states.
    True, but the number of states that it's not allowed is getting smaller all the time.
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

Thread Information